iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rebuilding woodmizers

Started by steveo_1, January 03, 2005, 11:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveo_1

Has anyone rebuilt a woodmizer?
I can get older model LT30 for free.It has been in a fire and is completely burnt,all the metal is there and looks ok.I want to know how many have tried rebuilding one,and are parts easily available? I remember Pascale had gotten one that needed work but didnt see any updates on any progress with it.Could anyone give any suggestions on how much money would be needed for the parts to completely rebuild it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
got wood?

ronwood

steveo_1

You might give the folks at Woodmizer a call. I'm sure than can give you some advice.  If you can give them the serial number they should be able to tell you more about the mill and what updates you may be able to put on it.  Only thing I would be concerned with is what effiect did the fire have on the frame and the head.

Good luck
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

D._Frederick

I have been told that WM uses a lot of high tensile steel in there mills. Heat from a fire will anneal the steel causing it to loose its strength. I would question if it would be cost effective to cut those parts out and replace them. Without replacing the tracks and other parts that have a lot of load applied, I would question the safety of operating a fire damaged mill.

sparks

Every part you need should be available. If you do not have a parts book. email me and I can get you one. You can use it to see how things go together and all the pictures are an exploded view.   Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Fla._Deadheader

And just why have you not dragged that thing home yet ??? I wood, in a skinny minute.  8) ;D ;) :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

markct

how hot did it get, hot enough to melt the aluminum parts and all? i mean theres stuff that has been in building fires and realy has just lost paint, then theres stuff that has gotten so hot that the steel even drooped when it was red hot

MULE_MAN

That would be my main concern, is how Hot the fire was. If the steel has
lost it's temper, It might not be worth hauling home ??? Wouldn't be much fun
to stick allot of money in it, to have it fold up like a pretzel when you put a heavy
log on it  ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Fla._Deadheader

We used everyday mild steel and angle iron track. Load as much on ours as anyone.  ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

markct

yea i agree fla deheader, i doubt woodmizers frames are any kinda high alloy heat treated steel, few weldments are since high alloy steels have problems with weld crackin and the heat treat is messed up from welding unless they are heat treated after welding, look at a truck frame, they are alloy steel and all rivited and bolted, rarely any welds even from the factory

slowzuki

I suspect the rounds on the rails are cold roll, they won't hold tolerance and will wear worse after annealing in a fire but it isn't likely a danger.  Cold roll was likely only used due to the better tolerances.

I would definately replace things like chain the head hangs from.  Use common sense.  If it is free I can't see how one could lose!

sandmar

I am with FDH here.........drag it home and then see what you can and can't use...can always sell it for scrap  ;) NEVER let the freebies go by........I always regret it later if I do  :-/

Sandmar

D._Frederick

With the cost of scrap metal, I guess that I would also drag it home. The first thing I would do is contact the engineering dept. of WM and get a feel for what parts of the mill that they build with steel stronger than cold rolled, get there opinion on how much fire damage the frame can stand.

Have you checked it out for warpage of the frame? If it melted the aluminum heads of the engine, you know it was in a "hot fire".

Fla._Deadheader

Somewhere in Woodmizers secret records, I discovered that they supposedly buy heat treated round bar for the track. It is then heat treated to a higher tolerance and straightened, before welding. Highly probable.

Our sawhead, I guarantee, weighs more than WM. We do NOT have any wear, except for mashing the surface rust against the angle track, after the mill sits for a while. I can replace that angle for less than $200.00, IF it ever needs it.

You can always add more cam followers to spread out the load if you feel the need. Me???  I would get it, make it work, and paint it GREEN. ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Bibbyman

I'd take it out and clean it up a little and get the back supports to working – if they ain't already.  

Then I'd set it up on solid ground and put a red oak log on it that scales about 500 bf.  Turn it a few times and see what happens.  If it'll hold up to this test,  then go ahead.  If it falls flat,  then scrap it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Paul_H

I don't think you could go too far wrong by dragging the WM home.It would be great to see some pictures if you have a chance and it would be really neat to follow your progress if you decide to rebuild it.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

steveo_1

Thanks for the tips and responses,
    I am going to get it to check it out and do some tests on it,but i know it was plenty hot,cast aluminum had melted itself to the cant hooks that were laying nearby.The guy had the sawshed next to his kiln which had a load of oak in it when it caught fire.All the steel looked ok except for the mast which had a 20 hp electric motor on it.The mast fell over but didnt look bent.It still needs to be checked out real well.I'll let you guys know when i bring it home and after i know more about it.Deadheader why green???You dont like orange???
got wood?

Fla._Deadheader

You ever see an Orange colored tree ???  Green has that Sooooothing effect.

Besides, when your friends and Neighbors discover that you have a sawmill, your time will NOT be your own. Green will help "Hide" it.  ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

redpowerd

harold has even been known to set cones around his mill to hold back the crowds. :D
aint that right, harold?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

DanG

Steveo, ol' buddy, you don't wanna mess with that thing. Just post the address where I can find it, and I'll launch outta here at first light. I don't figger I can go wrong at that price, and its just 500-600 miles up there from here. Are the tires ok, or do I need to brang a set?  ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

Naw DanG, them tires are fine! ;)
See this new fangled cast alum. has this really low melting point, and the tires are A OK!  ;D
Just don't drive too fast on the way home!  ;) ;)

WH_Conley

Now just hold on there DanG, I'm a whole lot closer than you are. I'd hate to see you burn all of that fuel at the price it is. ;D
Bill

KILROY

steveo_1
  You may have found a good little mill.  How old is the mill?
  While you are changing the tires, if they need changing,       check the wheel bearings. They could possibly need grease after the fire. Did the cutting head come off in the fire? Some pictures if possible would be interesting.  If the saw is free do not hesitate to drag it home and evaluate it back at your house. Good luck with your mill.  

Thank You Sponsors!