iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

finish on wood drawer slides

Started by jueston, October 28, 2014, 08:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jueston

i'm working on a table with 2 small drawers in the skirt, i plan on using wood slides.

i was wondering how these are normally finished to keep them moving freely? some kind of oil? maybe wax? i feel like if they were finished with poly like the rest of the piece is they will not slide very well.

let me know what you have done in the past that has worked well.

gfadvm

Use whatever finish you want to achieve to look you're after. Then when the finish has cured apply paste wax to all faces of the slide. My shop drawers are just waxed but on furniture I may stain/shellac or poly before waxing.

hackberry jake

I never really gave it much thought. As long as it is hardwood on hardwood, you will probably be fine. I believe the last wooden slide I made, I did put paste wax on it. It slides better than ball bearing roller slides!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Don_Papenburg

I was thinking that the slide could be made from 3/4 " UHMWPE
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

low_48

The only solvent based finish I will use on a drawer is shellac. All other solvent based may have a lingering smell if used on the inside of a drawer. Like YEARS of lingering smell. Especially if the drawer if fully trapped inside a case like a chest of drawers. Oil finishes will be especially bad! Water based poly is also good, but shellac cures to full hardness faster.

69bronco

Quote from: jueston on October 28, 2014, 08:15:47 PM
i'm working on a table with 2 small drawers in the skirt, i plan on using wood slides.

i was wondering how these are normally finished to keep them moving freely? some kind of oil? maybe wax? i feel like if they were finished with poly like the rest of the piece is they will not slide very well.

let me know what you have done in the past that has worked well.
I've always used a hard wax such as canning wax. Has worked well for me, I have a couple of pieces around that were done 30 or so years ago that are still sliding fine.

jueston

thanks for all the advice, i think i will try finishing it in poly just like the rest of the table, and then applying some wax to the slides.

i'll let everyone know how it goes and post some pictures once its finished.

Thank You Sponsors!