iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic Winch Replacement Cable

Started by DR Buck, March 05, 2018, 06:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I'm going to be replacing the cable on my 12,000 lb. Mile Marker hydraulic winch that is mounted on my log trailer.  The original cable is beginning to fray and has had a kink or 2 in it.   I am considering going to synthetic rope instead of the wire cable which will make it easier to work with.     Anyone have experience doing this and what are the pros and cons of the synthetic rope compared to steel cable?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DR Buck

So I did a lot of online reading today and decided to order the Amsteel Blue 3/8 synthetic rope for my Mile Marker.   The reviews are all good and several articles I read report it to be better than the steel cable for lots of reasons.      The stuff I order is rated at over 20k lbs breaking force and Weighs less than 1/6 of steel cable. Won't unravel in storage. Can't develop sharp frays. Doesn't recoil. Won't rust. Doesn't kink. Doesn't stretch. Doesn't store energy.

I'll post an update when it arrives and I install it.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Magicman

I like the specs on it.  I wonder about the Sun's UV rays.  I suppose that it would be best to keep is covered.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

But it does have the defect of lighting you back pocket....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don P

Abrasion and dirt are its killers, but it is nice to handle.

Thank You Sponsors!