iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello... I'm new. This is my introductory thread.

Started by DANSBIRD, March 06, 2018, 04:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DANSBIRD

My name is Dan and I joined b/c I'm interested in learning more about the whole forestry industry. Mainly raising, maintaining, treating, cutting, let's just say the "ins and outs" of harvesting pines. I'm set to inherit some land that's been used for raising pines for many years now and when that day comes & I take it over, I'd like to be a little knowledgeable about it. 

Questions:

1) I realize this is a broad question, but is there a Forestry 101 for Dummies section on this board? (Forgive me if there is.. I haven't dug too deeply into this forum quite yet)

2) What's this board like? 

3) Are most of you regulars who have been on here for years now?

4) How old is this forum? 

Feel free to throw useful &/or useless forum knowledge at me. Or ask questions if you like. 

I'm just looking for another source of knowledge on an area that I know very little about. :) 

I hope you all are doing well and thanks for the add. :hifive:  

TKehl

First, welcome.  I'm 5th generation on my place and have a reverence for generational transfer.  ;)

1) I realize this is a broad question, but is there a Forestry 101 for Dummies section on this board? (Forgive me if there is.. I haven't dug too deeply into this forum quite yet)
I know nothing about pine, but there are lot's of people here who know lot's about it.  Lot's of good threads as well.  The Ask the forester may be a good place to start.  Search "pine" within that board.

Knowledgeable people getting together to talk shop and BS.  Be civil and learn.  Don't be civil and get the boot.  The offical cuss word is DanG.  Anything else is uncivil.   ;)

I've only been on a couple years.  There are several members that are closing on two decades.

Would have to ask Jeff, but I see posts back to the early 2000's

One thing that really helps is to put your location in your profile.  Timber is very geographically dependent and it helps provide answers and perhaps meet locals.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

DANSBIRD

Quote from: TKehl on March 06, 2018, 05:00:29 PM
First, welcome.  I'm 5th generation on my place and have a reverence for generational transfer.  ;)

I know nothing about pine, but there are lot's of people here who know lot's about it.  Lot's of good threads as well.  The Ask the forester may be a good place to start.  Search "pine" within that board.

Knowledgeable people getting together to talk shop and BS.  Be civil and learn.  Don't be civil and get the boot.  The offical cuss word is DanG.  Anything else is uncivil.   ;)

I've only been on a couple years.  There are several members that are closing on two decades.

Would have to ask Jeff, but I see posts back to the early 2000's

One thing that really helps is to put your location in your profile.  Timber is very geographically dependent and it helps provide answers and perhaps meet locals.
Done. 

I appreciate the feedback.  smiley_beertoast

starmac

Welcome.
Now first off to answer any of your questions, we have to know iffen you eat grits or not, it is a FF thing you know.

Just kidding, just start reading, I bet you will like what you find, if you have a particular question, chances are you will get a very good answer to it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Where in Mississippi?  Add it to your profile so that we will remember.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

DANSBIRD,welcome to the forum. It's fun to work the land.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

Welcome to the Forum Dansbird - you will find this place is like no other on the internet.  Lots of experience and a willingness to help, folks get along and get to know each other beyond the keyboard.  
Don't be bashful about asking questions.

One question though - how do you feel about goats?   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sandhills

Welcome aboard Dansbird, don't ever worry about asking questions, as far as I know (or can tell) I reign as the king of stupid questions around here and so far I ain't been sent to the wood shed yet  :).  Some of the very nicest folks hang around here and all are willing to help out.
P.S. don't worry about Grits or Goats, they go together anyhow I think  ;)

51cub

Anybody tries to tell me I need grits and goats milk, I'm sending Ray down after you!!
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

DANSBIRD

There are some southern foods that it seems every person birthed in the south are supposed to enjoy that I simply don't like at all. Grits happen to be one of those. I have a few others, but I just joined and don't want to get kicked off of here. :D  

As far as goats... I'm neutral. 

Magicman, I'm in Brandon. 

DANSBIRD

Question: What do the pine trees represent below my username? I have one whereas others have 5. Is that a representation of someone's tenure on this forum or is it based on posts?

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome!
Just a suggestion that if you can swing it get to the pig roast where you meet a lot of the folks and I can vouch for the fact that all are great people.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

51cub

Hey DANSBIRD. Welcome to the forum. The trees are the number of posts. You'll notice also that the rank changes. You're a member now, as you post more, you get more trees and full member, senior member and so on
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Texas Ranger

Welcome, Dansbird, just don't flashing that bird around  here and you will do fine! ;D  Forum has been around for awhile, some folks may have been born and grew up here, but that may be an exaggeration.   Pull up a stump and sit a spell.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DANSBIRD

I'm pleasantly surprised by some of your ages on here. I've spent the last 14 years on a forum full of 30-40 year olds, of whom we've "grown up" together on the forum. It started out based around cars and has since morphed into normal adulthood living. When it first started, we were late in high school/early college, talking about girls, partying, cars, and bragging about bad decisions. Now, most are married w/ kids and the discussions are usually around our 401K, politics, sports, 529 plans, housing prices around the country, economic and luxury cars, and best places for a relaxing vacation. lol 

It's interesting to see an older generation (no offense intended) that's active on a forum. Older = wiser & more experience (normally) so I'm glad you're utilizing this forum as a venue to convey your knowledge.  smiley_clapping

pineywoods

Welcome Dansbird..I'm one of the older members of which you speak. Been on here over a decade, 80+ and still run a sawmill, log a bit, do a little woodworking, etc. The knowledge that's freely shared on here is absolutely amazing, don't be afraid to ask questions..This forum was originally established as an educational resource, and still serves that purpose quite well. I lived in Brandon for decades back in the 80's and 90's, have a son still there. Retired and moved back to the old family farm over in La.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

gspren

DANSBIRD, just wait till your group starts talking about fiber, medications, and restroom frequencies. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Jeff

DANSBIRD, I was just a tad older than you are now when I started this forum.  :)  I think most of are still mentally younger than our ages may now appear. At least that's my story. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DANSBIRD

Quote from: Jeff on March 07, 2018, 12:54:14 PM
DANSBIRD, I was just a tad older than you are now when I started this forum.  :)  I think most of are still mentally younger than our ages may now appear. At least that's my story. ;D
What year did you start this forum? 
It's pretty impressive that it's still going. The other forum I'm on is the oldest one that I know of that's as active as it is... this one appears to be even older. That's amazing. 

Jeff

Officially September 23 of 2000. Unofficially a bit before that, but there was only me :D  We have a lot of members that have been here almost that entire time.

Here are a couple links you may find interesting.

Origins of the Forestry Forum
History of the Forum--how long have you been around the neighborhood?

DANSBIRD

I guess I can post something forestry related, ha.

What I want to eventually learn about is managing the timber on my mom's land. It's 150-175 acres or so in Loblo ly (can't put the word together b/c it'll initiate the "lol" smiley) pines that should be thinned in a couple years (IIRC) and I believe the plan is to clear it 10 years later. I don't plan on learning everything right now/today, but learning about it is a goal. 

Also, what I'm curious about, is my wife and I bought a 3 acre lot in hopes of putting a house on it before too long. On that lot are 65 or so white oaks. Some of them look rather scraggly and some are dead. I was told white oaks can die of old age and that's what's probably happening to them. The dirt they're on is full of clay. I'm wondering:

1) Is white oak ideal for anything in particular? I've been using it for firewood (which I've found to not be nearly as good for a fire as a red oak).

2) Any recommended trees to plant in their place?

3) Does the clay have much bearing on the healthiness of the trees?

Pics of the lot for reference:

Edit: Apparently pics don't go in this part of the forum. sorry.

Jeff

DANSBIRD

DANSBIRD

Alright.. let's give this another try. Our lot:

Notice how scraggly the tops of the trees are. :( 

Thank You Sponsors!