iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Prices?

Started by jerryatric, May 01, 2011, 12:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

We've never cut pallet wood here, never knew of anyone who did. No pallet plants here, but there was or is one just across the border in Maine.  I assume mills here always get lower grade among the good stuff. They certainly get high end figured stuff.  There are lots of surprises once a log is opened up. Philosophy behind forestry in the province was always best end use, everything is marketable. But these days with cost through the roof, it's hard to justify cutting wood for a lot of markets. The wheels are spinning but the margins are thin.  I'd never cut wood for pulpwood, I'd rather burn it.  ffwave
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

Our market is kind of inverted. Rather than having grade hardwood mills that produce pallet lumber as a byproduct, we have a pallet producer that produces grade hardwood lumber as a byproduct.

This is mostly due to the fact that we have limited good quality hardwoods. It is out there, but not on a scale to support any large hardwood mills. So the pallet mill gets a lot of high quality logs, because they are the only player. 

Our hardwood markets are pulp, firewood and pallet and the economics are such that is definitely worth sorting for pallet.
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

It's bad enough here that the mill has lifts of low grade lumber out at the head office for sale to people driving down the road , You can buy a whole lift for $50 to $75 depending on the lift and there all over a 1000 ft of lumber

mudfarmer

Sounds like an opportunity for someone to start a small custom hw floor biz maybe?? Something else for you to do when it is raining  ffcheesy

Bradm

Quote from: ehp on April 16, 2024, 06:27:38 PMIt's bad enough here that the mill has lifts of low grade lumber out at the head office for sale to people driving down the road , You can buy a whole lift for $50 to $75 depending on the lift and there all over a 1000 ft of lumber
If you're referring to who I think you are, than I picked up 4 lifts from there and it cost me $500 delivered to my shop.  1 was nothing but thins (<1/2") but the rest were mixed hardwood and about 1/2 a lift of spruce.

ehp

Nope , No spruce at this mill I donot believe ever 

ehp

and 1 inch thick hardwood , I think they sold pretty much everything in a very short time . 

ehp

The trucking alone would cost over half that to get to Woodstock 

Southside

I see a fair bit of pallets between peanut and grain products that come into the farm for chicken and pig food, the quality of pallets has gone way, way, down over the past year or so.  To the point they are basically single use and then you need to fix them to reuse.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!