iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar 3"X6" linear foot price?

Started by Daren, February 29, 2008, 02:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I guess the title says it, what do you charge ? I mostly mill for furniture, rarely anything else (but if you have read some of my last posts, that should probably change) If my flu fogged brain did the math right, that is 1.5 bft per linear foot. I get $1 low-$1.50 bft top dollar for 4/4. I got a call from a guy wanting 700 linear foot, but I didn't know what if any value added there was ? I mean a 10'er would be $15-max $22.50 at my "furniture price" . If I can't make a fair amount more than that, I won't mill it. (I have don't really have all the logs, but most of it I think) That is one thing that moves well around here, thinner cedar. Not for big money, but it keeps guys coming around, that is important to my other businesses. I don't want to saw up my whole little cedar log pile for just break even money (I am not hurting for money) with the bad luck I am having getting decent logs.
I was not going to call him back till I got some input from some guys here.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

ely

a guy asked me the other day to price him some 6x6 cedar 16 ft long.
first thing i told him was i did not have any cedar to saw that was 16 ft long.
2nd thing i told him was those pieces would figure out to 74 dollars and change if figgured at 1.50 a bdft, he wanted 10 of those pieces and that would be 750 dollars if they were interested.

cedar is one thing i can sell and i dont have much call for anything over 8 ft. i have 1 guy that i sell to at 1.25 a bdft but he takes anything and everything that is 2 ft long and over 1.5 inches wide, thats why he gets a deal from me.

i have had several folks try and gouge me down to a dollar and i always respectfully decline the offer,...........ok i lied right there..........not always respectfully ;D

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I think you have answered your own question already, but...
one more angle:

If you know of a supplier of logs, so that you could buy all of this order
and saw it out, without touching your own logs, what would that figure
out to?  For that matter, what cost do you now have in all your logs?
Answer the question as to which would cost more - the ones you now have,
or the ones you would buy from a logger, etc.

Or you could just add 10 cents to your normal top price and cut some wood!
Buy yourself some nice fresh logs!
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Daren

Quote from: fencerowphil  (Phil L.) on February 29, 2008, 09:29:06 PM
I think you have answered your own question already, but...

For that matter, what cost do you now have in all your logs?
Answer the question as to which would cost more - the ones you now have,
or the ones you would buy from a logger, etc.

I guess I did.
I have $0 in my logs, they were delivered for free. I do not know the replacement cost, or the availability of 20"+ cedar logs like I have that would also be milled to fill the order, but am sure 14" wide 4/4 boards will fetch more than the current request.
Thanks

CLL

I think Arkansawyer and I would like to sell our cedar at 1.25-1.50 a ft. Well maybe I better just speak for me, I get about 2/3 that. I get 1.00 or so for small orders, but mostly I sell 4x4's and 1x6's for fencing.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Daren

Quote from: CLL on February 29, 2008, 10:06:43 PM
I would like to sell cedar at 1.25-1.50 a ft

I don't mess with the small ones that much, too much work/waste/can't sell-use the slab for firewood (not enough $ all around)... This is my $1.50 cedar.I am 6'3" for scale.

WH_Conley

I wouldn't take any less than my current board foot price, though you wouldn't be making as many cuts. Kinda get into a specialty market.
Bill

StorminN

The going rate here is $1.60 to $1.75 for 1"x8" or bigger, $1.35 for smaller than 1"x8"... this is for second growth western red cedar. Old growth is a different story.

So your 3"x6"x10' would be $24 here.

Not sure how much labor / handling your mill takes, but each 3"x6"x10' is 15bf, if you were cutting 4/4 you'd have to be cutting 1"x18"x10's to get the same bf per board (or is my flu-fogged brain tricking ME?)

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

fstedy

Are these Kiln Dry prices or Air Dry. I have a big job coming up on a share basis.
About 150  60' to 90' Hyline poles no cresote on the tops only on the butt ends which were cut at ground level. I think they are Northern White Cedar.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Cedarman

Our price posted on our website would be  $1.10 per board foot for 8' and $1.25 per board foot for lengths other than 8'.  Some pieces might have some ingrown bark or a little bark on the edges.  If they had to be perfect pieces, we would be about $.25 higher.
We sell lots of cedar that is 10' and longer.  Since we have about 50,000 feet in tree length logs, it makes it easy to buck the lengths we need.  Just made 14  3 1/2 x 5 1/2 x 10' 6" all red, no sapwood for $2.50 per foot.  $40.00 each.  Just a part of a big order.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Daren

I am going to call him later today and say I don't have it to sell. I have not talked to him, it was a message on my machine. The area code is 608 (Wisconsin?) anyone up north want the order ? Cedarman are you interested ? He was looking at + shipping from me anyway.

LOGDOG

Daren,

You're right - 608 is Southern WI ...South central & Southwestern. My rule on selling things - anything - is that if I can't replace the item for the same price (or less than the price) I'm being asked to sell it for I won't sell it. It simply means the buyers not likely to find anyone to sell him the same thing for any less either. You're long on talent - meant to tell you that in your other thread about business being bad. You could easily take those same boards and turn them into something special that a family would prize in their living room for many years and at a significantly higher profit to you. That's my two cents.

LOGDOG

Cedarman

Daren, this would be something we would be happy to do.  These are the things we specialize in.  We ship lots of wood by LTL.   Shipping usually adds about another 50% to the price.  Delivered to a business address is about $70 less than to a residential address.  I can be reached at 800 969 3637.

You should be able to charge a fair bit more than we do because cedar is scarce in your area and it has to be shipped in.

Daren

Quote from: Cedarman on March 01, 2008, 11:55:20 AM
  I can be reached at 800 969 3637.

I called him back (and got his machine) briefly explained I was more into furniture grade sawing, thanks alot for calling but I could not do this one for him, please call again in the future though I will always do what I can to help. I gave him your number, his name is Rick.

ARKANSAWYER

well for 3x6x10' ERC here at the yard would be $12 each.  Could make a plenty if need be.  I think WI is north of here.  I have made 6x6x20's before but they bring a better price.

Get cedar logs like this most of the time.

Make lots of 4x4 post and 6x6 octagons with 4x4 bottoms.

ARKANSAWYER

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

CLL

Arkansawyer, did you go over the scales with them logs? Around here we have one DOT. guy that wears out loggers, what a jerk. I'm in the process of buying a single axle tractor just to scale my trailer.

ARKANSAWYER

I bought them by tonnage so I weighed them.  Was around 6 tons.  Was I heavy......maybe?  Not much of a problem local here so long as I flag the long ones sticking off the back.  Brought a pine log home one time and I had as much hanging off as I had on the trailer.    Pertnear rubbed the last 6 ft off.  But it was flagged.   ;D
ARKANSAWYER

CLL

Arkansawyer, can't see all the trailer, but looks like two 7,000# axles. Let's see, trailer 3200#,
logs 12,000# +, chains or straps 100#, that seems to me to be 15,300# on a 14,000# trailer.
Please remit the following fine, 1300# overweight at $1.00 # plus costs of $152.50. Make check payable for $725.25 payable to ME!!!  and I won't tell on you. :D :D

Dave Shepard

Don't forget that you are allowed to transfer some of that weight on to the truck. ;) Sounds he was just about right. My 12,000 lb trailer with 12 1400 pound round bales on the other hand. :-X

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Daren

Quote from: CLL on March 03, 2008, 08:52:30 PM
Arkansawyer, can't see all the trailer,

Well, I reckon the log evidence is long sawn up too, so I would not wait by the mailbox  ;)

DR_Buck

QuoteJust made 14  3 1/2 x 5 1/2 x 10' 6" all red, no sapwood for $2.50 per foot.  $40.00 each.

I guess the 3"x12"x12ft kiln dried piece I have isn't worth what I thought.   :(

Maybe I should just cut it into two 6 ft pieces and haul it to the woodworking show?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Don_Papenburg

Fines do not apply .   As you can see by the photo the trailer is not on a public road .  This was a photo op ,  just to show how many logs were in the order. 

Respecfuly
Don Papenburg
Ahturny at Law

Don't you go messin with my klient again.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Cedarman

DR Buck, that 3x12 is worth every dollar you can get out of it. ;D

ARKANSAWYER

Been known to find logs on the way home and load them up on Wanda for the ride.  I bet WM does not approve of this.  Poor people have poor ways!

Here is about an equal load where you can see all of the 27ft 14,000 lb trailer.  As my legal counsel pointed out you see that I am on a dirt road.

If Dodge Trucks or a trailer manufactur want real world testing of equipment then they should send it to me for field testing.  I did it for the U.S. Army at Fort Greely AK.  I will look for the limit.
  One time the MAN did catch me and truck, trailer and 9 pecker pole pines crossed the scales at 39,900 lbs and tags good to 25,999 lbs.  Felt sorry for this poor redneck and sent me home with my poles a dragging.   ;D
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!