iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How about a Case IH 485 tractor?

Started by mmartone, January 15, 2015, 08:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

Going in the morning to look at a Case 485 tractor and allied loader, hoping its as nice as it looks in the pics. Any input, good, bad or ugly? Not much info online.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

glenn molenaar

I bought a used one in 2000 with Allied loader, it is a good tractor. Put up round bales, and run 6ft bush hog. Mine has the fiberglass front shroud and headlight assy. This is a great tractor we can load bales two high on a trailer about 1200lbs. Parts are on the high side, here it is called the highway tractor as the state used them for mowing. I can drag logs out of timber but it will not lift a lot of weight. If it has fiberglass shroud I would put a guard around it, the parts are over $600 to replace.

47sawdust

Don't have any first hand knowledge,but that is a fine looking tractor.My first improvement would be a quick attach for the loader.I got mine through Everything Attachments,it is made by W.R.Long.Then there is no limit to what you can put out front.
Happy shopping.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Verticaltrx

If it was well taken care of it should be a real good tractor. I have an old '71 IH 454 diesel and the 485 is just a newer version. Same engine, transmission, etc. They were made in England and the basic tractor was also used as the base unit for lots of IH industrial equipment such as backhoes, loader tractors, etc.  My old IH 454 has several thousand trouble free hours on it, I've heard of some going 10,000-12,000hrs before needing any work.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Windy_Acres

Weve got a Case 380B, the industrial version of the 485, its a low hour tractor, Ive got no complaints, have had several other tractors, and have a JD/Yanmar to compare it to, as well Ive operated several new Kubotas.

For what I paid, I think its a good value. 99% of its use it for organic farming. I was under the impression its a David Brown tractor with an IH motor. Id buy it again. Got a neighbor who has a 485, he uses his for produce farming. He likes his.

FarmingSawyer

I've got a Case 385 with an allied FEL. I love it. Does everything I need it to do & More. It's a bit slow, and there have been times when a bit more snoose would be nice. I was used to running a Ford 5000 before I fell on the Case.... But I hay with it, log with it and load the mill with it when it's not on my wood lot. I've lifted some heavy loads with the loader and hauled some huge logs out of the woods with it. When I got it all the lights worked, but that fiberglass shroud is junk. Dropped a log on the front and Bang, there went the headlights...... too expensive to replace and on an '83 tractor with 5000hrs, wasn't really worth it. Someday I'd like to upgrade, but for now I love Big Red.....it's a solid beast.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Thank You Sponsors!