iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is it possible to OD on tomatoes?

Started by Bibbyman, July 31, 2011, 03:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

The one consolation about summer is fresh, vine ripe tomatoes.   I grumble 6 months of the year every time I bite into one of those fake greenhouse tomatoes.   We grow a few tomatoes but for some reason, Mary just gets cherry tomato plants.  Our local farmer that we get milk and eggs from each week also sales in-season produce and we've been getting heirloom type tomatoes from him.  But his garden didn't get started producing yet.

Earlier in the week Mary came back from delivering a load of lumber she brought into the house a peck of beautiful vine ripe tomatoes she'd picked up at a roadside vendor.  Now I love tomatoes but ...  How many can you eat?  I asked her why she bought so many and she said they price was so low.  I've been including one with every meal and eating a few in-between.  

We took the box out to the refrigerator in the sawshed.  I think I shocked Mary when mid-morning I pulled one out and just eat it.  I've been eating a couple each morning.  They're juicy and full of water and flavor.

I came to the house a while ago and brought three tomatoes with me.  I found the counter full of all kinds of produce – including a couple of heirloom tomatoes about the size of a small cantaloupe.   I asked why she brought home more tomatoes (from her milk and egg run).  She explained the farmer finally got some grown and wanted me to have them.  He gets a truck load of sawdust a year for his chicken house and milk shed.  We take it out in trade for tomatoes.

It'll make me sick if I eat them all.  And it'll make me sick if some go to waste.  :'(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WH_Conley

I don't know if you can OD on them or not. I would like to try.
Bill

Mooseherder

Time to make salsa or pico.
There are  some great salsa recipes in the knowledge section. :)

Jeff

Never too many tomatoes. I love to make spaghetti or any tomato sauce type dish starting with whole tomatoes when I get the chance.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

Say when

beenthere

Quote from: Mooseherder on July 31, 2011, 03:14:30 PM
Time to make salsa or pico.
There are  some great salsa recipes in the knowledge section. :)

I can voutch for your great salsa ...that is if you followed a recipe when you made in the UP at Nailhead's camp. :)

Is it in the knowledge section?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandhills

I don't know about tomatoes but the last few days I've been trying as hard as I can to OD on sweetcorn  ;D.  I'm not real big on the big tomatoes unless they're used in something but the little cherry and grape tomatoes I can founder on, ours look good so far just none ripe yet.

Mooseherder

Thanks BT and Jeff for posting the link.
I look forward to the day we can all meet and do that trip again. :)
We make the Salsa pretty regular and it keeps good in the refrigerator.
The last batch we made was good a week in the fridge.  Must be the acid in the tomatoes.
We have been making a Pico with tomatoes, onions, peppers and minced garlic also.  
All you need is a couple or three tomatoes diced along with a 1/4 sweet onion diced, about 1/4 red and green peppers diced and a teaspoon minced garlic.  Let it stew on the counter for chips or pour over or to the side of Blackened seafood fillets. It's also good for Mexican fajita nights. :)

Reddog

Yup you can, your lips will start to split and have sores when your eating to many.

scgargoyle

You can blanch them in hot water to slip the skins off, then throw 'em in freezer for later usage. They won't slice too good  :D, but you can use 'em for sauces and such.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Bibbyman

How about dehydration?  Mary has one of those things but she maybe used it once.  These are so full of water I don't know how well they'd dehydrate.
Sawing since '94

Reddog

Piston

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Ernie

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

SwampDonkey

I eat the cherry tomatoes and grow them in summer as well. I don't make anything special from tomatoes except a salad. They don't seem to be as acidity. I can't drink anything like tomato juice because my innards twist in knots.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

Mary says she's going to make the rest into tomato paste for spaghetti sauce or other uses.
Sawing since '94

Chris Burchfield

I like a good tomato sandwich with salt, pepper and mayonnaise on fresh bread.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Chris Burchfield on August 02, 2011, 10:05:24 AM
I like a good tomato sandwich with salt, pepper and mayonnaise on fresh bread.

Add  a slice of cheese on toast. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Bruce

Bibbyman

Mary split up a HUGE tomato this morning and had it on our plates with scrambled eggs.  I eat two hardball size tomatoes this morning between sawing.  I had another with my lunch.

I'm starting to wonder if a body can get too many seeds in their system.   

I once worked with my dad logging on a farm.  Out at the edge of the field I found a heaping mound of persimmon seeds.  I asked the old farmer what dumped all those seeds there.  He explained that his horse had found the persimmon patch and eat until he had blockage and died!  There must have been three bushes of seeds there.

My mom is not to eat tomatoes or things with seeds because the seeds could lodge in her intestines and cause infections or some other problems.

My dad likes tomatoes with cottage cheese.  Mary makes tuna fish stuff and splits up a tomato and mounds the tuna salad stuff on top.   I haven't got around to making BLTs yet but that sounds good.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

They are good (BLT's), toast'm like Bruce said.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

Quote from: Bibbyman on August 01, 2011, 07:50:34 AM
How about dehydration?  Mary has one of those things but she maybe used it once.  These are so full of water I don't know how well they'd dehydrate.

My Son dehydrated a bunch of habernaro peppers a month ago. It wasn't pretty. Almost like someone pepper sprayed his house :D :D :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Yoopersaw

No such thing as too many except perhaps a few mouth sores from high acid ones.  That's never stopped me.  A quick breakfast is a toasted English muffin, either cottage cheese or a slice of sharp cheddar cheese and a huge slice of tomato.

sawguy21

We have been eating our fill of fresh tomatoes, I can't get enough of them. Karen has been bringing them home with cucumbers, carrots, taters, green beans, peas, corn and fruit straight from the garden and orchard. What a feast. 8) 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WDH

We have had very good tomatoes this year.  That came from very frequent watering.  That is the key, but it can be a challenge when it does not rain for a month or two.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!