iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Outdoor Grilling - Over Stainless Steel Mesh

Started by joncro55, July 11, 2012, 02:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joncro55

All,

What is the best size of stainless steel mesh to use as a cooking surface or "grill" over the fire when cooking deer meat...

http://www.bwire.com/ - this is a good reference guide as far as sizing goes, but I am just curious as to what size you guys have been using.  I usually use something with really large openings, but I am not 100% sure this is the right direction to be going.  Does anyone use 2 layers of mesh/screens to cook?

beenthere

I cook venison on the ceramic bars of my grill. Do not use a mesh.

But much will depend on the cut of meat that you are asking about.

I usually grill the loins either butterfly or sliced 1 - 1 1/2" thick.

Venison best if done rare. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

joncro55

Agree 100% on it being best done rare, which is why I use the mesh.  I let it cook for a very small amount of time and then just let it sit on the hot metal.

beenthere

OK
I don't understand what the mesh has to do with anything, but as long as it works for you, great! :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

joncro55

Basically just wondering what size grid/mesh people use to cook, thats all...
anyone?

Raider Bill

Do you mean mesh to cook over a open fire or on a grill?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooseherder

I use the standard size that comes in replacement parts for grills for cooking all meats.  I'm in the market for smaller grates to hold charcoal though.  The one I have now is the same size as the cooking surface and the coals drop a lil' too soon.  The standard hardware stores don't have what I need.

joncro55

I would go with a finer wire mesh or perforated metal.  Maybe like .25 inch openings?

Try here:

www.mcmaster.com

or

http://www.bwire.com/

They have a better selection than the hardware stores.

joncro55

Thank You Sponsors!