iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

red oak pergola?

Started by terrifictimbersllc, October 14, 2010, 08:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Got a potential customer intent on making a pergola out of red oak.  Wants to air dry a year and make it, then apply some kind of sealer.   It's the wood he's got.  Beam sizes are 3x6, 4x4, 2x4 and  8x8 uprights.    Been through discussion with him how this isn't the best wood for an uncovered/exposed outdoor project, the beams won't be dry in that time, applying sealer before dry might cause finish problems etc.

Inviting comment.  Any ideas how he can optimize this if he goes forward?  

Posted in Timber Framing but no takers.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

paul case

i cut a few 8x8 and 6x6 timbers for a fellas house when i first got the bandmil 2years ago. they are still shrinking a little. he let them set a full year and planed and polyeurathaned them. they are red oak . i asked him about the cracks and if he is pleased? YES is his answer. just what he wanted . he actually said that a few of them that didnt have many knots or cracks were kinda''plain''.  it looks good to me too. i think as long as the customer knows what to expect  those work just fine.   
i think some folks are tickled with big rough timbers for their projects since they arent commonly found at the box store.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!