iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Valuing a used WM LT25

Started by AnthonyW, September 30, 2013, 01:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyW

This is my first post, so I would like to say hello. If things go the right way, it will not be my last.

A few years back I was looking for a used sawmill in my area. I got tired of looking and had given up for a while. Now there is a WM LT25 for sale. I believe it is over priced based on many things I have found on the net so far. So far I have found some sales and final bid prices for a few LT15s and LT40s, and then there is the current price of the LT28.

It is from the late 90's with the log picker attachment and the 15HP Kohler engine.

Has anyone priced or sold anything similar lately? Any good sources of actual used sale prices (other than ebay)?

Anthony
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

QuoteNow there is a WM LT25 for sale. I believe it is over priced based on many things I have found on the net so far.

And that price is ??

And some pics would help to answer your question given the knowledgeable members that are on this forum.

And some filling out of your bio in your profile will also help with an answer to your question.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pasbonbasile

welcome to the forum, there is a lot of smarts here that can help anyone...
thirteen- tractors, one combine, no mill yet. Looking for one. Used -to have a wm lt4hdg25
Update 9-27-15 now have WM LT40 Super Hyd. used (1996) but back into sawing. Mostly pine and oak.

AnthonyW

Bio info online. Check.

I will work on getting and posting photos. The paint is faded, peeling and rusty in places. It was stored outside and barely covered. There was some attempt to cover the top rail, but it is still very rusty. Manual pull start. I was able to it but the rewind was very stiff. I would not classify it as "ready to use".

It most likely is the 25' version.

As for the asking price, let's just say the price is close to the LT28 new. Too close for being 16 years old, IMO.

While I'm working on photos, anyone know of places that list previous used sale prices.

Jeff

Call wood-mizer. they have "orange Book"  price book for used mill values.  I'd buy the lt28 if the price was close.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dgdrls

Welcome aboard,

Go with the new 28 if your budget will allow.
Last 25 I knew of (18 months ago) went for just under 4K
it was a stationary unit, in VGC living under cover its whole life.

DGDrls

bama20a

Quote from: Jeff on September 30, 2013, 05:41:55 PM
Call wood-mizer. they have "orange Book"  price book for used mill values.  I'd buy the lt28 if the price was close.
smiley_thumbsup, Also welcome to the forum..
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

AnthonyW

The budget won't allow the LT28 nor the asking price of the LT25. Wood Mizer's orange book was higher than, as one person noted a recent $4k sale price. That's the method behind my madness.

Right now the order from high to low is
1) LT28 new
2) This LT25 used
3) Wood Mizer's orange book
4) Used sale prices of the 2 LT25s I was able to find and now a third indirect reference.

I have found some used LT35 and LT40 going for around the same price as #1 and #2. That is kind of an apples an oranges comparison, but taking that in consideration confirms to me the asking price of the LT25 is too high. I would like to have some more references prices of recently sold LT25s to help me get it for what I think it is worth $5000-$5500. So keep those references and websites coming.

I'm excited to do this, but need to get it at the right price (I think I've been watching to much Fast 'n Loud).

beenthere

Apparently you feel, or know, that this is a "must sell now" for the seller.

What do you know about it that the seller "must sell" ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bandmill Bandit

Consider regional affects on prices as this factor alone can affect prices by as much as 50% and some times more. That means you must also consider freight/travel that may be required to get the mill home. Generally I find it best to find something local when i am looking for Equipment of any kind unless it simply isn't available local. IMHO

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Fla._Deadheader

What are you going to use the mill for, custom sawing, sawing for yourself ?? What can you do with a '28, that you can't do with a manual mill, and do addon's as you need them ? LOT'S of people use manual mills, if it's for diddlin around sawing.

State your intentions for the use and you will get much more in depth advice.   
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

jmouton

we have a  lt25  , bought it used  we paid 6000  for it ,  at auction , maybe a little too much  but we like it ,  it was in pretty good shape and ready to mill  ,  all we have done to it  is upgrade certain things on it to make it better for us ,  its a late 90's model  , its still manual  and it kicks our butts from time to time  but its a good starter mill in my opinion , and we make a little money at it too ,  so for 5500  or so  not bad  as long as  the mill is square and everything moves on it ,   we  are in  southeastern  michigan , so i dont know if we paid too much or got a good deal ,  but we are happy with it ,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

AnthonyW

I don't know that it is a must sell. I do believe that it is not an "upgrade" situation because of where it is located. It is at a (not wood product related) business not at a residence. Either way the asking price is higher (30%) than "book" and in lesser than typical condition. This is very local.

The reason I'm looking for a mill is because my father has wood heat. I see him split and burn many logs that look like one could get a few good boards from. Even if I only get 4-8 boards from a log, the lumber would is still be free. Then we most likely we wouldn't have to split what was left, just chainsaw them to length. It is for personal use only.

AnthonyW

Quote from: jmouton on September 30, 2013, 08:53:09 PM
    we have a  lt25  , bought it used  we paid 6000  for it ,  at auction , maybe a little too much  but we like it ,  it was in pretty good shape and ready to mill  ,  all we have done to it  is upgrade certain things on it to make it better for us ,  its a late 90's model  , its still manual  and it kicks our butts from time to time  but its a good starter mill in my opinion , and we make a little money at it too ,  so for 5500  or so  not bad  as long as  the mill is square and everything moves on it ,   we  are in  southeastern  michigan , so i dont know if we paid too much or got a good deal ,  but we are happy with it ,

jim

How long ago did you purchase it?

ronwood

My cousin bought one recently for $2000.00 It was stationary and had a lot of mods (non woodmizer) done to it. Was well worth taking the chance on it. I think he got a great deal on it. Mods hurt it value.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

AnthonyW

Quote from: ronwood on October 01, 2013, 09:11:46 AM
My cousin bought one recently for $2000.00 It was stationary and had a lot of mods (non woodmizer) done to it. Was well worth taking the chance on it. I think he got a great deal on it. Mods hurt it value.

Ron

Mods certain can hurt the value, unless they are done well and demonstrated to work. Luckily, there are no mods on this unit.

AnthonyW

Pics

I think I've got the hang of this.

Brian C.

I'm Jim's partner and we bought the LT25 last October.

Coach

Kingcha

For a few grand more you can get a brand new lt 15   If your just using it for yourself.

matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

47sawdust

The WM website has an Lt25 for $8900.00.I think the Lt25 is a great all manual mill,simple to use and maintain,as well as,portable.From the looks of your pictures the owner had the presence of mind to cover the rails and from what I can tell the rest of the mill doesn't look abused.Good luck,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

dgdrls

Ask for a demo run,  if its good and you like it have cash on you and make an offer,
worst that happens is no deal.

Good luck

DGD

AnthonyW

Quote from: 47sawdust on October 01, 2013, 07:09:48 PM
The WM website has an Lt25 for $8900.00.I think the Lt25 is a great all manual mill,simple to use and maintain,as well as,portable.From the looks of your pictures the owner had the presence of mind to cover the rails and from what I can tell the rest of the mill doesn't look abused.Good luck,Mick

Yes it does. I asked about that one when I called.

Local machine:
1997 15HP pull-start Kohler with 500+ hours (aiming high as there is also a skidder available from the same owner, thus more likely to have more use)

Woodmizer machine:
2000 20HP electric start Kohler with 100 hours (engine must have been recently replaced as the mill hours is 1000)

The 2000 machine is listed at Woodmizer suggested price. The '97 machine I'm looking at is listed well above their suggested price. Thinking about it further, the seller may have skipped over all of the details. That may be why the '97 unit is listed at such a high price.

I don't know how much good the rail covers were, there is too much rust for immediate use. So a demo might be about of the question.

dgdrls

"I don't know how much good the rail covers were, there is too much rust for immediate use. So a demo might be about of the question."

That would be a deal breaker for me unless shown and proven to be a non-issue.

DGDrls

AnthonyW

Quote from: dgdrls on October 01, 2013, 09:09:39 PM
"I don't know how much good the rail covers were, there is too much rust for immediate use. So a demo might be about of the question."

That would be a deal breaker for me unless shown and proven to be a non-issue.

DGDrls

I don't mind putting in some sweat equity. Of larger concern is how well the engine runs. I've gotten pretty good at de-rusting old tools. I just finished rebuilding a 1956 Delta drill press that stored in an old barn. I just used it for the first time tonight. It cut a 1/2" diameter hole 3/4" deep in mild steel like a hot knife through butter. I love it.

AnthonyW

The asking price was $8900. I was able to find several mills for sale and a few listing the prices they sold for. After considering their additional features over this mill and the condition, I floated an offer of $5000. I found out my offer was accepted and I will pickup the mill on Saturday.

Thank you all for your time and advice.

Thank You Sponsors!