iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2,4-D and pines

Started by saskatchewanman, July 21, 2019, 02:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskatchewanman

I planted 15 acres of jack and red pine on a agricultural field in mid-May. The planted area is now covered with a fairly dense stand of wild mustard. 

From my review of info, I think I should be OK spraying the area with a low rate of 2,4-D amine but I always like to get my information straight from those with first hand knowledge. I would love to hear from anyone who has sprayed pines or other conifers with 2,4-D or any similar herbicide. 

The trees seem to be doing OK so I don't want to harm them but I know a little less competition would be desirable and a recent knee injury is preventing me from hand weeding. Opinions and knowledge from others would be appreciated.

BaldBob

A low rate of 2,4,D won't hurt the pines. But I question the need to spray mustard this late in the summer. The competition it gives the pine is pretty much over for the year.

Mad Professor

Is this "garlic" mustard, the invasive?

They are a biennial, and put out a lot of seeds 2nd year.

I string trim the 2 year old stalks in the spring when they flower (white flowers easy to spot), before they seed.  Do this 2-3 years in a row and you eliminate seed source.

saskatchewanman

Thanks for the reply's. The mustard is standard field wild mustard. The problem with the mustard is my area is quite dry and the mustard can geminate extremely thickly and quickly grow 2-3 feet high making it very difficult for the 6" pines to access moisture or light.

RPF2509

Weed control is all about prevention.  You've lost the edge by spraying so late.  Early spring just as weed seeds germinate is the time to spray.  There are pre-emergents that will take out weed seeds as they sprout leaving a mostly bare site.  Keeping the weeds out from the start maximizes water availability for your pines.  If you have a forestry extension agent or other government advisor in your area, that might be the best place to start for advice on which herbicides are right for your situation and enable you to be ready for next year's weed season.  Another source of advice is the local farm supplier.  If your weeds have seeded  out already you are wasting money on a foliar spray that could be better spent next year on prevention.  That said, small mammals can do a lot of damage to seedlings late in the season or over the winter and any vegetation will provide cover and forage.  Another reason for as much bare ground as possible.

saskatchewanman

I have a lifetime of experience in controlling weeds with herbicides.....just not on pines.

With few private landowners planting large numbers of trees for forestry and a prohibition on using herbicides on provincial forest land there is no local knowledge base to draw on. In addition forestry herbicides are difficult to obtain but agricultural herbicides are not.

I tried a preplant of linuron (a residual) and glyphosate. Unfortunately linuron requires rainfall shortly after application to move it into the soil and I got 4 weeks without rain. Then 5" in a week stimulated a huge flush of weeds. I also did not want to spray the pines until they set bud so I am late but may try a test on a limited portion of the planting.

Claybraker

Imazapyr is used on pines over the top. Down here anyway. Don't use a surfactant.

saskatchewanman

Quote from: Claybraker on August 01, 2019, 08:38:35 PM
Imazapyr is used on pines over the top. Down here anyway. Don't use a surfactant.
Thank you.

Thank You Sponsors!