iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Honey Locust

Started by tyb525, June 24, 2010, 11:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Today I milled up a H. Locust log, it looked pretty ugly and I figured it would be rotten in the middle, I just wanted to get it out of the way so I slabbed it...
no rot! Here are some pictures just for the fun of it...

Maybe some day they will end up as natural edge so-and-so's  :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Meadows Miller

Gday Ty

Looks Nice and i bet it will make some Realy Nice Looking So & So's someday Mate  ;D ;D ;D  8) 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Burlkraft

That was a great lookin' HL log  8)  8)  8)

Jill really likes to turn it. I still have a few pieces like that left  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

tyb525

They are all 1.5" thick, except the bottom flitch which is 4".

The widest point is about 17", widest my mill can handle, and the rest probably average 12-14" wide.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

tyb525

Burlkraft, if you or anyone you know would like a few turning pieces, shoot me a pm with your address and I'll shoot a few over :)

fishpharmer

Nicely done Ty.

You taught me something about another species 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

tyb525

Like I said in my first post, I figured it would have rot in the middle, as a lot of them do (and this one was dead standing, I found several in a low spot that were dead, they all had a little rot in the heart). I am working on an order for 4x4's and 6x6's, but this one just looked too bad, and I was eager to get it off the log pile one way or another so I could move on to the "better" logs. Well lo and behold, the proof is in the pictures :).

HL makes beautiful lumber, IMO. This log was no exception. It's not quite as rot resistant as Black Locust, but is still up there in terms of longevity in the ground.

If you ever get a hold of a log, cut it :) The lumber makes beautiful jewelry boxes, if anything. It does show some ray fleck when q-sawn, too. Not like oak or sycamore, but it does have some.

JackLeg

Beautiful stuff!  Nice figure!  Bet you won't have any problem getting rid of that!

PappyBaynes

Is HL the same as Locust ...I grew up in southern New Jersey and we used it for fence posts...I now live in NH and see several trees in the area...just curious.
thanks

Magicman

Honey Locust and Black Locust are very different.  Black Locust is very hard and rot resistant.  In our area, Honey Locust is known for it's long and vicious thorns.

And, Welcome to The Forestry Forum, Pappy. Looks like you've been here for a while, but this is your first post.    :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tyb525

Honey locust (Gleditsia triacanthos) has large thorns on the trunk, usually the more stressed the tree is, the more thorns there are. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_locust.

It is actually not related to Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) which is said to be more rot-resistant, but I think that depends on the region. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinia_pseudoacacia

WDH

Both are in the Legume family and have pods for fruit.  The thorns on black locust are stipular, that is they associate with the leaf petiole and pair up like on a rose bush.  Honeylocust has thorns that are actually modified branches, they occur anywhere on the stem or twigs, and the thorns themselves are branched
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

WDH, thanks for clarifying that. :) I thought I had read somewhere that they were unrelated.

Banjo picker

Are the thorns on a honey locust posion..?  The reason I ask is when I was little we had a honey locust by the house...Mom stepped on one of those thorn conglomarations with the side of her shoe and it flipped up and stuck her pretty good...as best as I can rember she ended up having to go to the doctor because of it....Dad cut the tree right after that and I don't think there is another honey locust on the place...and with those thorns I don't want one...although that is some pretty lumber...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

Quote from: tyb525 on June 27, 2010, 10:13:40 AM
WDH, thanks for clarifying that. :) I thought I had read somewhere that they were unrelated.

They are just cousins  ;D.  Apparently they do not hydridize like cousins do in the South  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bro. Noble

BP,  I don't believe that those thorns are poison,  but from what I understand , and have personally experienced, the sheath on the tip of the thorn comes off and stays in the puncture causing lasting pain and possibly infection.  I hate those things also and use a lot of spray on them each year.  They are hard to kill and we have lots of them.  They are real troublesome on tires >:(
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Banjo picker

Quote from: Bro.  Noble on June 27, 2010, 11:35:47 AM
BP,  I don't believe that those thorns are poison,  but from what I understand , and have personally experienced, the sheath on the tip of the thorn comes off and stays in the puncture causing lasting pain and possibly infection.  I hate those things also and use a lot of spray on them each year.  They are hard to kill and we have lots of them.  They are real troublesome on tires >:(

Thanks for the info...I bet that is what happened...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

tyb525

Yeah, I do my best to keep a good distance from them on vehicles with air-filled tires ;)

ljmathias

WDH, that was a low blow about cousins in the South!  Being in the South (but not from there originally) I have kids with grandkids and will certainly not allow any such behavior. :)  Course, there is there North, which was explained to me when we first moved here, as in "going up North for the weekend," meaning somewhere between Jackson and Memphis... I heard they were somewhat less strict about their family trees than we are.  Speaking of trees, how does someone saw up a family tree?  and what kind of lumber do you get anyway?   ??? ???

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

WDH

Lj,

My remark was inappropriate, so I apologize if I offended anyone.  It is an old stereotype about the South that is not true.  Most of our family trees are actually branched like the thorns on honeylocust (notice the attempt to get back on the subject of the thread  :)).

Banjo picker

You didn't offend me ...I don't know what that word ment....Notice attemp to keep the pot stirred... :)  Tim

ljmathias

Oh, no problem, no offense taken at all- this is a pretty nice place with lots of nice people and that makes things a lot (for want of a better word) nicer... ;D  and what was it that was said about it being too bad roses had thorns?  The reply I heard was that wasn't it delightful that thorns had such beautiful roses?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Ed

I milled 8-10 Honey Locust logs last year. They will become my new woodworking workbench.  ;D In all honesty, I don't  ever want to saw them again. Hard as hell, tough on bands, milling them for me...ok, maybe, someone else, ain't gonna happen.

The majority of the boards were cut 2" x 12", I was really suprised at the stability of the wood as it dried, very stabil. Don't think I ever had anything 8/4 thick that has dried so straight. Time will tell as to the real world results, I hope to start using the lumber this fall.

Ed

Thank You Sponsors!