iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do with this large oak?

Started by D6c, October 20, 2017, 07:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

About a year ago my brother cleared some bottom ground and removed an old burr oak that is 4' dia at the base.  He got the soybeans cut off the bottom where it's laying today, and wants to get the rest of the brush burned, so I got in and pulled it out.

The tree was down in an old shallow crick (spelled the way we pronounce it) channel, where I didn't think it was very safe to be working, so I cut off a couple of limbs and used chain in a parbuckle to roll the main trunk and root ball out of the channel....worked great.  The root ball stood a full 8' high laying down.

I didn't cut the log out last fall when he took the tree down because I didn't have enough chainsaw at the time.  I since bought a Stihl with a 25" bar, which was just big enough to cut the root ball off.  I got a 13 1/2' log, 4' dia big end and 3' dia. small end.  Counted something like 120 growth rings so it probably sprouted at the end of the 19th century.

Just wondering what burr oak is good for?  I've been told burr oak isn't very valuable but am curious what others use it for.  I know my brother could use a  new deck on his lowboy semi trailer.  He does have a log buyer coming in to buy some white oak and walnut trees, so it's possible the buyer will be interested in this log.  If not, I would probably have to split the log with the chainsaw in order to get it on my LT-40, and even then it would be a load.  I haven't run the metal detector over it yet so it possible it's got deer stand nails in it....I see quite a few of those, sometimes in very nice trees.  Kind of sickening.

(The saw sitting on the log is my old MS250....not my new 25" saw.)

Larry

When I lived in north Missouri I sought out burr oak to quarter saw.  It has the thickest rays which means the figure will be better than most of the others in the white oak group.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

TKehl

I would think the buyer would buy it as white oak or close unless I'm way off or it's too big.

https://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/downloads/TPTAprJun2017.pdf

Seems like pretty fast growth for a Burr. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Brad_bb

Buck it, and saw it.  If the grain looks straight, which is does up to the first branch, and not hollow or defects on 3 faces, then quarter saw it.  Try the reverse roll method everybody is trying here.  I intend to do the same as soon as I can.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

69bronco

Looks like a lot of ben-gay to me! If you split it, looks like a seam running the length of it in pic.

D6c

Quote from: 69bronco on October 21, 2017, 09:26:59 AM
Looks like a lot of ben-gay to me! If you split it, looks like a seam running the length of it in pic.

I didn't take a pic of the end, but your're right, there is a crack up the middle that would be a good place to split the log.

paul case

It would make a lot of good trailer flooring. If it isnt hollow or bad. I didnt hear that you cut that root ball off yet.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

D6c

Quote from: paul case on October 21, 2017, 09:41:00 AM
It would make a lot of good trailer flooring. If it isnt hollow or bad. I didnt hear that you cut that root ball off yet.

PC

Cut the root ball off....looks good other than a small crack down the center, which would be a good place to split the log.
I could chainsaw split it....or try the black powder method, but that's a little scary.    :o

paul case

If you are going to chainsaw split it get a 36'' bar and chain. I have done this enough to get so that i only waste and inch on each side when truing it up.

I know nothing about the black powder method but on youtube it looks real scary.

PV
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

TKehl

I've seen it done in person at a local "pioneer days" event.  It's AWESOME!!! 

However, it is hard to predict how many pieces will be made. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

JB Griffin

I have split a bunch of logs with a 25" bar on a ms880. Saw down one end then crawl on top of it and walk backwards sawing down the log. Then get down and flip the log over and saw it again. Always, I repeat Always leave a little holding wood when sawing the second side. I have had a few close calls but came out ok. I once was splitting a big red oak and got about 3" from the end of the second side and I heard a still small voice say you might wanna hop off and finish, ok, so I jumped down and blew through the last 3" and BOOM one half fell to the right the other to the left.  So be careful.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

D6c

I'm definitely cautious.....big heavy stuff that wants to fall on you deserves respect.

Thank You Sponsors!