iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 462???

Started by FloridaMike, May 23, 2018, 12:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloridaMike

Will the Stihl MS 462 C-M ever make it to the US? 

Mike
Mike

DelawhereJoe

I saw it listed for sale in South Africa but yet they were also selling a ms 720.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Texas-Jim

My Stihl rep knows nothing of it being availible.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

DelawhereJoe

Just talked to a Stihl repair/service guy yesterday he was told that they should be out at some point this year but wasn't sure when. He is also the only Stihl guy that I have found so far in the state that will make chains for you, all the other dealers I have called or spoken to just sell premade loops.

teakwood

i went on vacation to Switzerland visiting my family and friends. At the Stihl dealer i inspected the MS462, what a nice saw. list price was 1650$, but the dealer told me for 1500$ it would be mine. I was tempted but didn't had any luggage space left 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

I'm eager as all get out too for the MS462.
Need to replace my 6 year old Husqvarna 562XP but it still keeps going strong and won't give up the ghost :)

Here's some interesting specs:
MS462 72cc 6 h.p. 13.2 lbs
562XP 60cc 4.7 h.p 13.4 lbs

These Swedish Homestead guys did a nice presentation on the MS462 CM in this short video last spring.
One minute in they explain what appears to be no choke on the saw. I could be wrong.

Stihl's New MS 462 Chainsaw - Review - YouTube
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sawguy21

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on May 27, 2018, 10:08:42 PM
Just talked to a Stihl repair/service guy yesterday he was told that they should be out at some point this year but wasn't sure when. He is also the only Stihl guy that I have found so far in the state that will make chains for you, all the other dealers I have called or spoken to just sell premade loops.
So if you need a chain for say a Homelite or Husky go elswhere? I have never worked for such a lazy dealer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Sawguy21, same here in Thompson dealer only sells premade loops.
Since I started up my saw repair and sharpening business Ive been busy making up loops and selling my own chain off the roll. 90% run 16" ;D

thecfarm

90% run 16 inch?? I have an Efco,52cc,18 inch bar. :o  Seem like the makers like to put a big bar on to make the small saw look big. ;D  Short chain,cheaper to buy,quicker to file,short bar,cheaper to buy too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teakwood

Same here, every saw comes with a too long bar. Buyers think they get a big, powerful saw because the bar is longer. the bigger the bar the stronger the saw
The 361 comes officially with a 25" bar from the dealer.

HolmenTree

The 20" bar on the MS462 in the above video is a Stihl ES light bar probably weighs the same as a regular 16" ES bar.
Very nice setup and from my research those ES light bars are the best quality on the market. 

DelawhereJoe

When I picked up my 362 c-m it came with an 18" b&c.

lxskllr

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on July 14, 2018, 09:51:17 AM
When I picked up my 362 c-m it came with an 18" b&c.

What sizes have you run on that? I have the 25" on mine, and it's pretty nose heavy. I was wondering what the ideal balance point is. I'd like to keep it as my "big" saw, but would like better balance. I was thinking about looking at the light bars when my big job's done here.

I'm not a saw collector(yet), and I'm trying to figure out the roles my Poulan and 362 will serve in the future. I could drop the Poulan to a 16" bar, but that's getting close to point I start using hand tools. 18" on the 362 is what I have on the Poulan, so the roles would overlap. Even a 20" is close enough to the 18" to be hardly worth the effort. Just thinking out loud...

The question is what's the longest bar with the best balance for the 362cm?

HolmenTree

The 362 is not much lighter then the 462 in above video which has a 20" light bar.
18" regular ES bar with 33RSC chain would be near perfect balance on your 362. But the 20" ES light would be about the same with a loop of 33RSC.
25" ES light would be better then the 25 you have already lxskllr.
The 24 or 25 Oregon in the video on the 462 was definitely off balance.

DelawhereJoe

The balances with a 20" ES bar, slightly nose heavy with a Stihl hard nose bar and definitely nose heavy with the 25". Most cutting I have been doing was less then 16" so its just had the 18" bar on it. Once I get the firewood I have cut and stacked there are 6  dead white oaks that have to come down. My old 024 av is now using 3/8 picco and I am happy with how it cuts over the .325 chain.

teakwood

X2 what Holmen said.

I use the 361 with a 18" ES bar and the balance is perfect.  If you want to use a 25" bar use def. a light bar.

trapper

My saw guy makes up the chain from the bulk spool.  
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

teakwood

Willard, do you know something new about the release of the 462?  I don't understand why they're not available yet in America??  

If they get released first in Canada you will have to get me one and send it down!

DelawhereJoe

Teakwood do they even have any m-tronic saws down your way ? It would be a terrible thing to have a new $1000 chainsaw that doesn't work because it needs its carb electronicly adjusted.

teakwood

They have 2-3 models with m-tronic. i think one of them is the new top handle saw. 
So the dealers have to upgrade eventually, it's just how the world works!

For me personally i never have had bad luck with a saw, maybe that's why i'm so loyal to Stihl. Just minor repairs and i do them all by myself, just buy the parts from the dealer.
So the 462 doesn't concern me at all. 

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on July 16, 2018, 06:54:05 PM
Willard, do you know something new about the release of the 462?  I don't understand why they're not available yet in America??  

If they get released first in Canada you will have to get me one and send it down!
Last I heard summer of 2018 but still nothing on this side of the pond yet.
I guess the longer we wait on the production run the more upgrades we'll get.
The MS462 without CM is sold in other parts of the world like Russia and other Baltic areas also advertised in South Africa. Maybe you'll get the same choice.

teakwood

Really? I didn't know the saw existed without M-Tronics

HolmenTree

I got the MS462 brochure pdf on my phone teakwood but I don't know how to share it here.
Stihl MS462  Stihl.com za (South Africa.)
On page 8 upper right hand corner.

HolmenTree

I'm tired of waiting for the MS462 so I brought my old favorite out of retirement.
I bought this first year 1991 066Mag Arctic brand new 26 years ago. Just rebuilt it with OEM parts. Put a 1986 064 flywheel and rewind housing on it  to narrow it up for better ergonomics. Also notice the low profile caps from 1986.
It's wearing a 18" .404 bar with a loop of long extinct Oregon 50AL .050 .404 chisel bit chain driven by a 8 tooth rim sprocket. Still got about 50 feet of it on a roll.

Planning on  running a 20" .050 Stihl ES Light bar with a .404 sprocket nose. Have to order the nose separate.

I been using this "066 hybrid" for the last few days doing treework for my tree service and it cuts quick!! :o
Haven't even put the square file to it yet as the last pic shows . Factory grinds were good back in the 1970's. :)

Lockwood

Gday all in regards to the Sthil 462 my dealer has informed me that they will be available in Tasmania  Australia  at the end of September 2018 ,Ididnt ask about price I also know of a hardwood faller who had a 500 on trail for around about a month and it has since been taken back by Sthil for evaluation  or whatever they do .

Thank You Sponsors!