iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

11' 6" span - 3 , 2x12 header for upstairs 2x6x8 wall

Started by Sedgehammer, July 06, 2022, 11:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

As the heading implies , we need a header to span 11' 6" for an upstairs 2x6x8 exterior wall . Will 3 , 2x12s work or better to go with 4 ?

Thanks
Necessity is the engine of drive

Tom K

This is one of those situations where a whole lot more information is needed to give you the right answer. Without seeing a plan and knowing all the loading and tributary area it's just a wag.

Upstairs meaning your framing a wall for the second floor? Will it have roof loading on it? If you have basic roof loading, it's not a big roof span, and has no roof point loads I would thing (3) 2x12 would be ok. If there are roof point loads or something else going on you may need to go with LVL's, (4) 2x's wont fit in your 2x6 wall. This is just a guess based on the limited information.

Sedgehammer

@Tom K thanks for the reply . No roof load . Yes , the 4th one wood be 'free' floating , but since nailed and glued , it'd be doing almost what the other are I wood think .

I did leave out that there will be a 2x4 false wall most likely right in front of the wall above the header . This will be for HVAC ducting to get a/c to the room to the left and below of this room ( bathroom ) . Will be a vanity in front of the false wall
Necessity is the engine of drive

Thank You Sponsors!