iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building and selling picnic tables.

Started by Joe Vachon, July 19, 2017, 08:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Vachon

So I've been starting a little side job to make some extra cash on building and selling picnic tables. Was wondering what price range I should start at with a standard 6' table and a price for a hexagon table

Kbeitz

A standard 6' table in this area is around $100.00.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Grizzly

A nice table from good wood and well finished will fetch about $350.00 here and a fellow in the area is selling some real nice 8 sided tables with benches on 4 sides for $800.00. But anything similar to Home Depot and you'll be lucky to get $100.00. CDN funds so about half in USD (some exaggeration involved!)
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

TKehl

Do you know what your cost is per table?
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

thecfarm

Your cost is real important.
We use to do a farmers market. There was an older guy that use to set up beside me. He made cabinets. I got talking to him and he said he was going to have to go up on his prices. He sat down and figured his cost for a few items. Cost him $39 with lumber and all the hardware. He was selling them for $38.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

submarinesailor

The ones at Lowes and HD in this area are going for about $105.00.  Made with all 2X6s and the legs are PT.

Ljohnsaw

I was cutting a bunch of logs with my buddy's help.  I joked that a few of the slabs off the logs sides would make good benches.  So he starts stock piling them :D  Then I though, what about making "rustic" picnic tables with these rounded  (round down) boards.  I'd edge them so they fit together better.   I'd have to make a flat "dado" near each end to put a board to hold the top together, but seems like it would be doable.  What do you think?  Right now i have a bunch of pine.  Later I'll have some cedar scraps.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Yup, edging slabs produces "lumber" for many rustic projects.

The edging can be a pain, but it is worth the effort.

Trailer partially loaded with more slabs to be edged in the background.

Trailer completely loaded with edged slabs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DPatton

Joe,

Why don't you give us a photo or two of your finished tables. That way we can give you a better price range. Plus we like pictures!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Sixacresand

When we participated in renting thrift store space to sell stuff,  with jigs I could build A picnic table and two benches in less than an hour.  I would use green rough lumber right off the mill:  oak, pine, cherry.   We sold every set that I ever built.  It was a quick and dirty $50.   ;)
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!