iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another xsaw vs ysaw

Started by Tony, October 12, 2011, 02:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Yes this is another saw vs saw.

Got enough "credits" for showing up everyday at the day job to get a free chainsaw. My choices are Echo and Poulan. We've got 2 Stihls already, but, it's FREE.

Advice is appreciated.

Tony  8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

nmurph

Tom L

pretty cool, you get credits for not missing work,

the only credit I get for not missing work is being able to work tomorrow..  LOL

I knew a guy with a poulan and it was not very good

Cut4fun

If I was choosing from todays new saws being made between Poulan or Echo. I would go Echo.

I dont get squat for not calling off. So I called off today.  Now offer me a choice like that and I might try harder to not use my 2 weeks a year sick leave.

Ianab

The Echo saws are OK, like good enough that you might even consider buying one with your own money.

The Poulans are big box store junk. Designed to last long enough to make it out of warranty (hopefully)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

NCForestry

ladylake

Try and end up with a CS400 or bigger, my CS400 has turned into my favorite saw around the mill .    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

nmurph

Quote from: ladylake on October 13, 2011, 06:10:46 AM

Try and end up with a CS400 or bigger, my CS400 has turned into my favorite saw around the mill .    Steve

Steve, what's the new 50cc saw? I think Spike posted one elsewhere. Is it on the shelves everywhere?

thecfarm

Echo for sure. I have a Echo trimmer that is pushing probably 30 yeras old and I use it ALOT and just had the starter recoil replaced. First time it has failed me,besides the trimming head that I replaced 3 times. A Poulan whatever I would be lucky if it lasted me months.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nmurph

Quote from: nmurph on October 13, 2011, 06:28:51 AM
Quote from: ladylake on October 13, 2011, 06:10:46 AM

Steve, what's the new 50cc saw? I think Spike posted one elsewhere. Is it on the shelves everywhere?

Is this it?

http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-500P

Cut4fun

I would like to try out that funky looking new Poulan 5020 clamshell design out. 50cc full 3/8 chain 20" bar.  Just dont want to spend $196 with free shipping.
Anyone ran one yet and put some time in a firewood pile?

My JD 800v = Echo 8000 impressed a few at the gtg last Sat. People that complain about a 8000 power either hasnt ran one or the saw was tuned and ran like crap. Now if the darn thing didn't weigh as much as a 660  ::)

miking

The new 50cc is the 500P. My dealer doesn't have one up yet so I have not seen it. In fact, they still have the 530 up and maybe want to get rid of old stock frst. If that were the case and there was only one left I'd buy it because I like my 530, lol
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

ladylake

I had a CS500p in my hands at the John Deere dealer who carrys Echo, it's quite a bit lighter than the Cs530 he had on the shelf also. For those of you that don't like clamshell motors it's not, it has the split crankcase with removable cylinder. I saw a vid of one cutting which seemed to cut good but a side by side cut against a 346xp , MS261 or 5105 Dolmar would tell more. Most likely will need a muff modd as Echo saws come with real clogged up muffs.  

I have a CS8000, 7900 Dolmar and a Husky 385xp that are real close to each other in cutting speed, the 7900 like high RPM's, the 385 is in the middle and the CS8000 doesn't rev as high but has huge torque, able to pull lower rakers .   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Tony

update....
      Got an Echo CS-370. The saw was broken in on an 18" dbh Osage, and we just got through cutting a 24"dbh hickory for firewood to sell to the local BBQ joints. The Echo was used most of the time except where the Stihl 036 was needed to saw through the trunks and crotches. Very pleasantly surprised and pleased with my choice.
                                 Thanks for the advice  8) 8) 8)

Tony 
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Ianab

That looks like a sweet little saw. Those smaller Echos like that seem to be quite well respected and are used commercially by local tree trimmers and forestry guys for lighter thinning and pruning work.

Should work out well for limbing and lopping up smaller firewood etc :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mad murdock

a FREE saw!?!? ??? Where can I sign up? ;)  I would have to go with the ECHO as well.  Ianab puts it pretty succinctly! Have fun with your new (free) toy!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

CTYank

Quote from: Cut4fun on October 13, 2011, 09:24:56 AM
I would like to try out that funky looking new Poulan 5020 clamshell design out. 50cc full 3/8 chain 20" bar.  Just dont want to spend $196 with free shipping.
Anyone ran one yet and put some time in a firewood pile?

Yes. Dunno what's funky looking about it. I've put close to 10 tanks through it, and it's still loosening up. Good power, AV, fuel-mileage. About 15.25 lb all-up. Only real problem so far was that the air filter needed a tiny bead of silicone to seal it; clip is off to lower edge. I like the scrench mount under the rear handle. You might search arboristsite for pix of engine internals and design critique. [/end belated thread hijack]

Nobody mentioned which models of Echo or Poulan. Makes a difference.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

petefrom bearswamp

My cs600p has been very reliable.
Had some Poulans back in the 70s when I worked for the NYS conservation dept and they required constant attention.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!