iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building A Log-Lathe For A Wood-Mizer

Started by Donald D, November 03, 2009, 08:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald D

I am in the process of designing and building an attachment for my LT-40 that will turn up to a 12" X 16' logs. I know Wood-mizer builds the Lathe-mizer, and I'm sure it's a fine machine, but the limitations are too small.  I recently did some modification work on a Logtech lathe that was 42' long, which was to big.  I have the cad drawings done for the carriage that will mount on the guide rails of the mill and carry a ironing score the length of the machine. I will power the headstock with the hydraulics from the machine. If anyone has any idea's, experience, failures, or what ever, please let me know. If you think I'm just plain nut's, you'll have to go to the back of the line. (It's a long line)   

stonebroke

Sounds like you want to build a larger version of the lathmizer. You might want to look at woodmizers website and get a few ideas.

Stonebroke

Donald D

Hi Stonebrook
The Lathe-Mizer is a nice "little" machine, but it uses the blade which will only take about 1/8" cut per pass once the log as been 8 sided. Way to much time per log.
I know from reading all the input on this forum that someone out there has a much better way of doing this. I love log cabins a lot more than I hate struggling with this, so we will stay at it. We have built everything you can think of for log cabins, except the cabin... Here we go !

stonebroke

Morbark makes post machines. Might be a good starting point for a production machine.

Stonebroke

Donald D

Stonebroke,
I'm sorry, I spelled your name wrong. I'm not much in the o'l keyboard...
Nod, I mean Don

stonebroke

Don't be sorry, there are a lot more stonebrook farms out there than Stonebroke. We have that name because we think is is appropriate to faming.

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!