iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time to turn your clocks

Started by 21incher, March 12, 2022, 05:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Don't forget to turn your clocks forward tonight. Longer days are here again 👍🌱🌱
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jeff

Tammy has to get up at 4 now.,
Meaning like 3 now.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

I read today there is a move in congress to make DST permanent because they say it is better for the economy (People have more time in the evening to spend money I guess), it is healthier (I guess people are up moving around more) and it saves money (I guess they are not up as long after dark or such).

I like the longer days but instead of messing with the time permanently I don't see why they don't adjust the start times for school and work and such to accomplish the same thing.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

stavebuyer

I used to work for a neighboring farmer when I was in high school who never changed the time. He operated on the "Lords' time. Actually, he was right. I had adjusted my watch; but we started and quit at the same time. Only my watch had changed.

I often adjusted my start time. Whenever it was light enough to see well; I was wanting to be running wide open. June that might be 5am. December might be 8:15.

sawguy21

I never had a problem with it until one morning after some serious partying. Dragged my sorry butt out of bed at 6 to be at work at 7, made coffee and realized I had forgotten to turn the clock back. ::) Didn't dare go back to bed. This was back in a younger day, don't work or do all nighters anymore and that's the truth ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

I like to set the clocks ahead.
It's all in my head, but I know the days will really start to get longer now. 
As stavebuyer said, I like light at 5am. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I see no point in it. I think it is nicer to get home from work still daylight. Morning light don't matter because even in the summer I'm on the road some days before daylight in June. I want to be ready with my saw as soon as I can see the ground. Put my 8 hrs in before extreme afternoon heat. 90F is extreme in the north. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Sooooo:  "we cut foot off of the blanket top and sew it on the bottom to make it longer".  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I have one clock that I forget to set ahead.
I have 20°, no above freezing temps today.
Looking forward to not needing a head lamp at 8:30pm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

One of my neighbors reminded me of the time change yesterday and said we the Amish are always on Standard Time and never change over to DST!

I think it would be ok to just leave it one way or the other!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Magicman on March 13, 2022, 07:51:32 AM
Sooooo:  "we cut foot off of the blanket top and sew it on the bottom to make it longer".  ::)
I agree.   Wish we could just forget about changing clocks. Never saw much point in it.   I donts see how it gains us much.   The Amish never change their clocks and they certainly get by.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Magicman

We are among 19 states seeking to make DST permanent:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

olcowhand

I also don't get the math that makes the daylight longer by shifting the clock. When I need a "longer" day, I start earlier....
I can say with some certainty that a sudden 1 hour shift in the feeding/ working routine of livestock and people has a detrimental effect.
The old Iowa Stockman I worked for in my youth also would insist on working/ feeding according to "Sun time", and insisted that folly drove men to think they could adjust the length of their day by shifting the clock....
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Resonator

Every time I go visitin' lower Michigan the clocks are set an hour ahead... year round. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Sedgehammer

I for one will gladly see DST made permanent . I'm retired now , but still work more than most . I like to have more time in the evenings with my family , as many get off work at 5 , so that leaves more time to enjoy the after work time outside by the pond . I see little benefit over all at getting up at can see to chase the sun , I do see getting up at can see to beat the heat in summer and that leads to again more time in the evening with still can see time for whatever
Necessity is the engine of drive

sawguy21

It looks like DST will become permanent in the U.S. so our provincial government will likely follow suit. It means for half the year we will be on the same page as Alberta, half the year an hour out as is normal. North eastern BC is on standard time so will be out of sync year round, the south east is on Mountain Time so will be an hour off for half the year. What a mess!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on March 13, 2022, 09:42:44 AM
We are among 19 states seeking to make DST permanent:  LINK
I don't understand, the headline in the link says we turn back for DST!
In fact we Spring Ahead for DST!
I don't know about other areas, but my Amish neighbors don't switch to DST, so they are still on Standard Time!
When they have an appointment somewhere, they have to remember to play the numbers this time of year, and if the country switched their time difference would be permanent!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Hotrod RLC

young man above mentioned farming the time we were on i think was best for farming  most farm operations you got to waite of the morning for the dew or moisture to dry off your crop  now conserning time change uncle sam runs you through this two times a year on purpose to train you to do as they instruct .. one of these days uncle sam gonna tell you all to jump off cliff and 90 pc americans will do this dont believe me think back couple years to present time    mind control 

olcowhand

One downside to remaining full time on DST would be that the school kids would have to wait for the bus or walk to school in the Dark in the dead of Winter....
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

firefighter ontheside

Yes, I can't wait to hear the complaining in the winter when its dark at 0800 or even later.  Some places sunrise will not be til nearly 0900.  Maybe theres a reason why the hours were set as they were, to be a good average for year round.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Corley5

Kids get on the bus in the dark here anyway.  The bus goes by our place at 6:30am.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

K-Guy

I used to live in the mountain time zone in northeast British Columbia and we didn't do daylight savings time and that worked good for us. Ft St John, the town I was in, was centered on the oil patch and lumber, so it worked out good that we were on Alberta time in the winter and BC time in the summer. Due to the soft ground, most of the logging and oil patch work was done in the winter and in Canada the center of the oil business is Alberta. in the summer it really didn't matter whose time we were on. Personally, I have always thought daylight savings time was a dumb idea.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

SwampDonkey

Even at 7:15 am up here in dead of winter it is still dark when kids get on the bus, with all this time switching going on. :D Don't towns have street lights? And houses yard lights?  I'd hate to have to walk 15 miles to high school in winter with 30 mile wind driven snow blowing across the road from the potato fields, in the dark. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!