iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

going hyd.

Started by RMay, December 04, 2002, 08:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_H.

Glad to hear you made it back ok
Are you going to mill tomorrow? ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

ARKANSAWYER

RMAY
   These are just steep hills as I went through the Rockies on my way to Alaska and they got some mountians.  There is one on the way to Fairbanks that you drive up hill for about 10 miles.  There is one called Wrangle Mt. and you can see that puppy form 100 miles away it seems like.   Glad that you made it home.
   Dan
    Your truck insurance will cover your mill on the way home but not after you start making money with it as it becomes a commercial venture then.  It took me a while to convince the State Rev dept to issue tags for a sawmill.  I got insurance for Swanson and Sons in NEW YORK to insure the mill to cover the loan.  You will have to hunt your local markets but there are several tie buyers up there and I am sure that some hardwood buyers.   Most do not advertise or even have a sign at the road.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Dan,

Sorry I missed you at the Small Farm show.  I'm sure we'll meet soon.

License plates in Missouri?  We asked and the answer was - we didn't need any stinking license.  Said if the axle was part of the machine and a sawmill was considered a farm implement then it didn't need a license.  If the trailer could come off and could be used in some other way then it did.  But I've seen one mill with a MO. license plate.  I didn't ask the owner why.  We've found it takes a lot of explaining to the local DMV before they know what your are talking about.  It may be wise to check with them.  Will would probably know as he sends them out. I know Indiana requires them and Wood-Miser issues a temporary plate to bring them home.

Insurance?  That's a tough one.  We've got ours with our farm insurance.  But we don't do mobile sawing and it took a lot of talking.  If you go to an agent and tell him you want to insure a sawmill,  he'll probably have a heart attack.  Or you'll have one when he tells you the price.  They will probably look up the rates they use for a full blown sawmill operation - if they will insure a sawmill at all.  It's one of the things I've asked Wood-Mizer to get involved in but they say there are too many states with too many regulations, etc.  They do recommend a couple of companies that apparently have some concept of the liabilities of running a Wood-Mizer sawmill.

Right here on the Forum is the best place to start.  Read a lot of the old posts and learn to use the search feature - first tip is to change the date so it searches back more than 7 days.

We are members of the Missouri Forest Products Association.  Lots of contacts there.  Make a trip up to JC to the Department of Conservation building on Truman Boulevard and talk to the guys in the Forestry Department.  You'll come out with a boatload of info.  They have a video library too that has all kinds of tapes on running a sawmill, grading lumber, and general forestry.

Keep us posted!!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

Dan,

There are all kinds of buyers for wood products south of you.  West Plaines, Mtn. View, Raymondville, and Salem.  That's about as far as I usually get from home, but there are probably some closer to you.  The only time I went out of the USofA is when I went up north to Ellynoise to visit Rick and Perry.

Ozark Machinery in West Plaines handles insurance for sawmills and logging machinery but I don't know anything about it.  Their website is www.ozarkmachinery.com.  

;The conservation service used to publish directories of sawmills and secondary wood processors,  I think they have it online now.

Ask me in a week or two about veneer buyers,  I hope I can reccomend one then.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Fla._Deadheader

Just ran across my old folding business card file today. Right there, in the front, was a 2 ply Walnut Veneer card from Midwest Walnut Co. out of Springfield, Mo. We used to sell the good stuff to them. We would bed whole trees and the buyer would tell us where to buck. Always seemed to be fair traders ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Don't know how your state is but in mine I have two ways of satisfying the tax man.  If I don't tag the mill then it is considered either farm equipment or peronal property.  In either case, it is taxed millage on its value.  That gets pretty expensive and it is difficult to move the mill without hassles with constables.  I would also have to answer to the state each year on value.  I found out later that they won't except value below 6 thousand so that's as low as my taxes would ever be.

If I tag the mill then that satifies the taxing authorities and also the DOT.  That means that I have to have a title but I learned that, even though they don't have a sawmill classification, they would except an identification close to it.  I chose "chipper" and the clerk was happy.   I operate legally for the price of a trailer tag now which is based on the weight of the mill and it doesn't matter where I'm set up.

Fla._Deadheader

Did you have to go to a scale and weigh the mill? I was told, for my gooseneck trailer, that I had to have some inspector look at it and VERIFY that it would do what I built it for. Sawmill would be the same ?????  (refer to my last post under What to do) !!!!
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Yep,  I had to have a scale ticket from a certified scale to get my title.

dewwood

I don't know about your state, but Indiana charges sales tax on any vehicle including trailers as well as an excise tax to get your plates.  When I went to get my title transferred to my name and get my plates I told them the trailer was just two wheels and a tongue with a value of $300, otherwise I would have had to pay sales tax on the price of the entire mill.  You might want to check that out if you are required to pay a sales tax.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

DanG

Now, I don't recommend breaking the law, to anyone. ::)  So, consider this a "history lesson."

I once drove a truck for 8 years with no tag. I finally got stopped, and the fine was $50. The tag would have been $35 a year. Of course, nowadays, I'd never make it for 8 years, and the fine would be a lot more, but I still might come out ahead.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

RMay

Dan I got Farm Bureau insurance on the mill . My insurance Agent has his LT40 super  insured also . the truck insurance will not cover it . ;)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

dan-l-b

RMay, glad to hear you made it home safe and sound.  I opted for the LT40HDG25 with accuset and debarker.  Hoping to make the most with the time available and within a budget.
Noble, thanks for the ozarkmachinary referal.  I will let you know if anything positive comes from it. The wife is from Joplin, spend some time down there over the holidays, how far are you from Joplin.
Bibbyman, Just applied to MFPA.  Thanks for the tip on search. Hope to get up and visit with you-all one day.  
Fla-Deadheader, thanks for the referal as well.  I have some nice 30"DBH red oaks 30 ft. of clear log.  Thinking they might be veneer.  

Bibbyman

Dan,

Just thought of a place just up 50 from you before you get to Linn – Freedom Hardwood.  If you got some walnut lumber, logs or veneer,  you may try Ace Lumber Company in Higbe, MO (north of Columbia, MO.)   Then there is Hendrickson(sp?) up at Americus north of the river from Herrman, MO.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

dan-l-b

Hey RMay, how is the new mill working out? ;D

RMay

Dan-l-b the new mill is the way to go with hyds. I cut two 30" red oak logs with it . so nice loading, turning & doging with one finger . Dan did you get the ele. shutoff on your water like on the supper LT40  it is well worth the $60.00 I paid for it . I cut 660 BF. cedar today with it and did not use but 1 1/2 gallons of water .Dan is this the weak you are going to pickup your mill . good luck and have a safe trip .
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

dan-l-b

RMay, Glad to hear your mill is working out.  Can't wait to turn and dog a log hydraulically.  I believe I did get the lube mizer setup.  How did your training day go?  Was it worth it?  Do you plan on sawing through the winter?  Are you using 11/4" 42 blades with the universal set or a softwood set?  I will be sawing a lot of mixed species and hope the universal set is the way to go.  Right now I have piles of red cedar, western cedar tele. poles, white and post oak, black oak, hickory and cypress waiting on the orange.  ;D I should be heading up Monday eve. so I can pick it up on Tuesday.  Liturature says training is indoors?  Is that right? As pretty as the weather has been lately, it is going to be hard to concentrate indoors, on concrete.  

RMay

Dan-l-b I got the ele. shutoff , the water only runs when the blade is ingaged . The training was worth it . the training was outside at Mt Veran . I use 1 1/4 W.M. 45 blades & I do hope the jobs come in all winter . I have weekend jobs booked to Feb.        p.s. the training on my old mill was in Indianapolis & it was inside it was a 1/2 day school . :)

Thank You Sponsors!