iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Huricane Florence

Started by Lawg Dawg, September 07, 2018, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawg Dawg

My BIL lives in Little River, SC. He does storm work clean up for a living so he's riding it out...sent me this picture couple hours ago with his chainsaw mounted on his Harley :D...he's a nut...and I hope he survives! 

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

gspren

I've heard if you're desperate that white bread and toilet paper are interchangeable.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: gspren on September 13, 2018, 07:15:31 PM
I've heard if you're desperate that white bread and toilet paper are interchangeable.
I think I've done that camping...once :D

Nice sunset and a little breeze here in Jefferson,SC this evening

That's my pond down there in the bottom...actually it could use a LITTLE rain
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

olcowhand

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on September 13, 2018, 07:01:29 PM
My BIL lives in Little River, SC. He does storm work clean up for a living so he's riding it out...sent me this picture couple hours ago with his chainsaw mounted on his Harley :D...he's a nut...and I hope he survives!

This pic has three of my favorite things in it; two of them is the Harley and the Stihl (Nope, not the Dump Cart; No, not the Truck in the background).
Let's put it this way: I shouldn't attempt using any two of these three things at the same time......
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: olcowhand on September 13, 2018, 07:59:56 PM
Quote from: Lawg Dawg on September 13, 2018, 07:01:29 PM
My BIL lives in Little River, SC. He does storm work clean up for a living so he's riding it out...sent me this picture couple hours ago with his chainsaw mounted on his Harley :D...he's a nut...and I hope he survives!

This pic has three of my favorite things in it; two of them is the Harley and the Stihl (Nope, not the Dump Cart; No, not the Truck in the background).
Let's put it this way: I shouldn't attempt using any two of these three things at the same time......
:D gotta have the Jameo!  Like I said...he's a nut

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks for all the offers....you guys are great!

Raider believe it or not I did get a text from USAA Insurance telling me exactly what I was covered for.
I don't have flood insurance....I'm not in a flood zone thank goodness but covered for everything else including wind and trees on the house.

6 of my best tree service people came by today to just verbally assure themselves and me where to dump sawlogs they may be getting.
If we have the water like they're saying I will not be taking junk. The trucks will get stuck on the farm.
The landfills will be open for free to dump debris thank goodness.

As far as my job with the S.C. Forestry.....I'm on vacation at this time.
My last day of my Forestry career will be Sept. 30.....just a few weeks away. 32 plus years!
But since this will be a FEMA event, I may be called in with my dozer.
We have crews on stand by but its hard to plan when nothing has happened yet.

Mostly what my area is concerned about is the water, power outages and falling trees.
However, if we get spin off tornadoes....thats another horse to break.
That means my house could be fine and 2 miles down the road farmer Brown has a flat barn and 12 dead cows.
Basically.....be prepared.

Sunday night into Monday..I think..will be our window for the worst but who knows.
I feel sorry for the landscapes of our beaches. They say Myrtle Beach and some of the towns in N.C. could be wiped out. Lots of memories at some of those places......Sorta like Jeff and his Bridge. 

I'll takes pics and videos of things along the way.
Not just for me and you guys but we take pics and forward them to our Forestry Office for planning.

Its really crazy how some stores have bare shelves, no milk, water or batteries and you go 6 miles down the road to another store and they are stocked to the gills.

I read on another site where us Southern Fat People live on 5 or 6 sodas a day but come a Hurricane all of a sudden we think we need 40 cases of bottled water.  :D :D :D

We get our power from the York Electric Coop.
5 houses down in my subdivision lives the CEO of the Coop.
So I'm thinking if we lose power it won't be to long.....of course thats me thinking again.

We will see. I got 1 more day to tie up loose ends tomorrow. They closed all the schools tomorrow thinking some of the roads could be blocked by trees at some point but I don't think its really gonna start getting windy until tomorrow night. I did hear a rumor that some of the schools would be prepared for families coming from the east to have a place to stay. I hope so.

So Paul will be out of school helping with our punch list to be ready.

I leave you with this:

There was an Old Goat who thought he could float 'cause his belly was to big to fit in his boat.
When the waters rose and the wind began to blow he grabbed a plank and went with the flow.
I sawed this plank he said as the wind blew him along, I'll be here tomorrow if today I'm not gone.
Your going under shouted his brother...your boards thick on one end and thin on the other.
The Old Goat thought as he went under, it could have been a raised roller of maybe the old Kohler.

Violin_smiley whiteflag_smiley sail_smiley fiddle-smiley

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

btulloh

Just be careful when you put the toilet paper in the toaster.  
HM126

Southside

You had time enough to come up with that in all of this!!! Good job Sir Goat!!

Whatever you do, just remember, Don't cross the streams!!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Must have been the raised roller ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

But what will you make milk sandwiches out of?
Praise The Lord

fishpharmer

David, you are one clever goat!  

Speaking of stores, the nearest 24 hour Walmart has been closed going on day 3.  I thought they only closed for Christmas.  Folks around here are taking it serious.  Especially this one.  Windows are all boarded up.  Not a drop of rain today but mostly cloudy.  
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

caveman

I hope all of you fare well during and after the storm.  Poston implied that there may be steak dinner for the neighborhood at Farmer Brown's place.
Caveman

fishpharmer

Still no rain for us.  Other's are getting pounded.  

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

goose63

My prayers on the way for all in the path of this storm.

I'm sure glade I live up here in this frozen tundra a few snow storms ain't so bad I guess
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

That slow moving rain soaking storm is going to lay so many trees over.  Many times it will be a domino effect as one weakens and lays against another, and then it against another.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bert

The NC brunswick islands have been our vacation destination for years. Its a beautiful part of this country. My prayers go out to everyone affected.
Saw you tomorrow!

Magicman

The news media is all abuzz about the value of smartphones and social media during storms such as this. We all must remember that cellphone service works only as long as the towers remain upright, power/generators are available and running to keep them powered up, and the telephone companies fiber optic cable remains intact to feed these towers.  Thousands of generators will have to be deployed and fueled to maintain cell tower operation.  Cell service is not magic.  The signal between the cellphone and a tower is required but the actual call is still transported over the "telephone company's" backbone switching network.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

Quote from: Claybraker on September 13, 2018, 11:26:24 AM
Scattered and smothered reports coming in of some Waffle House locations already closed ahead of the storm.
Ah! Another fan of the Waffle House Index, I see.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

kelLOGg

We're on the periphery of the storm and are beginning to get rain. Neighbors have parked their cars in our open areas to be safe from their trees.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

samandothers

Talked to my brother, who is in Sunset Beach NCwhich is just north of the SC boarder, around 11 am.  He said the still had power but wind and rain were ramping up.  The are a mile inland and not near rivers.

Bummer of a day for his birthday!

Raider Bill

Make sure you tie everything down real good!

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Bert

I appreciate the area updates from those that live or know someone in areas like sunset beach. I dont reside there but they are special to me and a place I really enjoy. I have been watching TWC some but the drama is over the top. Jim Cantori standing in 3 inches of water rocking back and forth in a parking lot puddle is a joke. What is really going on?

I also learned something today. Next Nor'easter Im ratchet strapping my roof on. :D
Saw you tomorrow!

Raider Bill

Quote from: Bert on September 14, 2018, 02:09:48 PM
I appreciate the area updates from those that live or know someone in areas like sunset beach. I dont reside there but they are special to me and a place I really enjoy. I have been watching TWC some but the drama is over the top. Jim Cantori standing in 3 inches of water rocking backing forth in a parking lot puddle is a joke. What is really going on?

I also learned something today. Next Nor'easter Im ratchet strapping my roof on. :D
You can never have enough ratchet straps :D :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

nativewolf

Quote from: Magicman on September 14, 2018, 08:36:21 AM
The news media is all abuzz about the value of smartphones and social media during storms such as this. We all must remember that cellphone service works only as long as the towers remain upright, power/generators are available and running to keep them powered up, and the telephone companies fiber optic cable remains intact to feed these towers.  Thousands of generators will have to be deployed and fueled to maintain cell tower operation.  Cell service is not magic.  The signal between the cellphone and a tower is required but the actual call is still transported over the "telephone company's" backbone switching network.
Yeah but growing up on the coast of NC on the IC you could count on the phone going out due to downed wires.  It was just terrible, just when you needed it they did not work.  Much much easier to maintain Fiber connections to towers since the fiber is buried (almost always) and the towers all have good backup power systems for energy.  If it goes out for days the tower may loose power as the back up generator fuel tanks can dry up or if a bad gust hits a tower it can get blown over but even then you can take your cell phone a mile away and often get a signal, especially on the cell dense networks along the beach areas.  So so much better than land line days.  
Here at my house we cut the cord completely, I am typing and reading the forum on a signal from a tower, have been for 2 years.  My power goes out all the time, my internet...rarely.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on September 13, 2018, 01:33:34 PM
My guys are now in Leland NC awaiting orders.
I want to apologize in advance for Leland.   This on behalf of all the great natives in the state...well with Leland we screwed up a little bit.  We shoveled all the armpit out of Wilmington and had to stick it somewhere and SC was such a long drive and someone said just dump it over there in the swamp and so we did.  The guy dumping it was named Leland and we kept shouting Leland dump that trailer of leaking transformers over there, Lelan dump that old creosote tank over, etc etc.  He eventually just started calling it Leland and it stuck.  
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!