Methyl Salicylate

Started by Mike_P., March 25, 2009, 03:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_P.

Methyl salicylate is another name for oil of wintergreen.  It is part of the Rust Reaper formula as a working ingredient to aid penetration and to provide a pleasant smell.

Recently I had a couple of conversations about oil of wintergreen.  A customer called from Oregon to order some additional product and was explaining that he was drawn to Rust Reaper because of the oil of wintergreen.  He related that when he was in the service on submarines in the 60's that oil of wintergreen was their preferred penetrating oil. 

Along the same line, a local fellow was telling me about using Absorbine Jr. as a tool to release stuck engines.  When I did a little research, the active ingredients are methyl salicylate and isopropyl alcohol, so it is not surprising that it works as a penetrant in mechanical applications since it does so in human use.

I thought you might be interested in some of the ingredients in Rust Reaper and why we choose to use them. 

I'd be interested in whether any of you have had experience with using oil of wintergreen or chose to use Rust Reaper because of the oil of wintergreen.

Jeff

I'm wondering now if I can use rust reaper as a topical ointment for my aching joints. :)

I know, I know, its not at advised nor recommended by the manufacturer.  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

I just know it works.

But glad to hear what helps it work so well.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

I use RR because it works but the smell of it makes it a pleasure, as opposed to some extremely stinky petroleum product.

The latest time I used it was on the carburetor of my plow truck.  The throttle was sticking.  I replaced the throttle cable but it was still sticking.  Turns out there is a small spring on the carb as part of the throttle mechanism.  The spring wraps around a plastic cylinder and provides only a little force.  Just enough to help the throttle return to 'zero' when your foot lets up off the accelerator.  Well, the string was rusted up (due to all the blow back into the engine compartment from the plow) and had rust between it and the plastic cylinder.  This caused friction, making the spring catch and not do its job.

I used a whole bunch of RR on that spring and the surrounding area.  Also took some precautions to reduce the blow back of snow.  It has been working like a charm.

Besides the nice minty smell, that is one of the things I like most about RR...  the ability to lubricate and keep on protecting, all while not harming plastics.