iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grits Help

Started by fstedy, July 03, 2015, 12:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

I need a good stovetop or microwave recipe for grits. I usually use the microwave but they are usually too thick.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

drobertson

My way is just a simple way, with regular grits, the water, pinch of salt. I do get the water boiling first, then salt, then two table spoons of butter, add the grits bring just to a boil, then back off the heat and simmer til done, top off with a little more salt and pepper to suit.
Have grated sharp cheddar on the ready with two eggs over medium with your choice of bacon, ham, or sausage pour the grits right on top of the eggs which are on top of toast then cover with the cheese.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

DanG

Easy-peasey!  4 parts water to 1 part grits. I add about a tsp of salt for 1/2 cup of grits, and a chunk of butter to the water.  Bring that to a boil, then add the grits slowly while stirring. If you just dump them in, they will be lumpy.  Return to a boil while continuing to stir for about a minute, then turn down the burner to the lowest setting you can get. Let simmer for about a half-hour, covered tightly, stirring occasionally.  If they're getting too thick, add water...not much.  If too thin, remove the cover.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sandhills

Hey Ray, how do you cook yours?   :D  ;)  :)

thecfarm

I've never been to Nebraska,but I just might take a road trip and and do a hurting on a certain person in that state.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

If you want to keep things interesting put a pot of cold water on the stove, add grits then turn on the burner. In a few minutes you will have grits popping out everywhere. (Not the desired way to cook them!)

If your grits do get too thick you can always stir in a little more boiling water or if too runny sprinkle in a few more dry grits to get the perfect consistency.

You have not tasted grits till you get some real coarse home ground yellow grits. Takes a lot longer to cook but great taste. Old mentor of mine made his own and we ate them for lunch or supper in place of rice or potatoes with fish or game. He made his own hushpuppies too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

fstedy

Hush puppies good eats. I remember when I was a LOT YOUNGER we had a neighbor from Alabama she gave  my Mom  a recipe make them. Remember looking forward for her to make them.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

coxy

sandhills

Quote from: thecfarm on July 03, 2015, 09:26:06 PM
I've never been to Nebraska,but I just might take a road trip and and do a hurting on a certain person in that state.  :D
You'd be welcome anytime just go easy on me my back is already out  :D.

rooster 58

Ask the cfarm. I'm sure Ray has a few favorite recipes he'd pass along ;D

Magicman

The mixing recipe is on the box.  Use it and you will never have a failure, just be sure to continually stir as you pour the grits into the boiling water.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

I tried them, they needed all the help they could get. :laugh:
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on July 11, 2015, 09:00:32 AM
The mixing recipe is on the box.  Use it and you will never have a failure, just be sure to continually stir as you pour the grits into the boiling water.

Very good advice.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Roxie

Here's a recipe from the John Wayne "Way to Grill" Cookbook.  I usually cook them using the same method as DanG, but these are good too. 

TRUE GRITS WITH CHEESE

8 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups stone ground yellow grits
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons butter
pepper to taste

In a pot, bring 8 cups water and the salt to a boil.  Add grits slowly, stirring constantly.  Keep grits boiling until water reduces.  Reduce heat to simmer.  Stir in cheese, butter and pepper until well blended.  Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Top with a little extra butter to serve. 
Say when

GAB

Quote from: sandhills on July 04, 2015, 10:58:39 AM

Thanks for the company to a very exclusive club.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

GAB

Quote from: sandhills on July 04, 2015, 10:58:39 AM

Thanks for the company to a very exclusive club.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

I have eaten plenty of Grits, but never "Cheese Grits".  Just butter, or maybe a fried egg plopped in the middle of the serving.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

:D I am with you sawguy21 I tryed them swallowed that first and last spoon full. I heard a comedian give a dilogue on making them for a secial occasion, and in the end the dog got them.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

WV Sawmiller

MM,

I can't believe you grew up in Mississippi and never ate cheese grits. A typical fish fry in central Fla where Dad was raised was fried fish, hushpuppies, cheese grits and swamp cabbage. I can't get the swamp cabbage up here but we always have cheese grits when we have a fish fry and these folks up here who never eat grits will go back and get 4-5 helpings. I usually have to stock up with 25-30 lbs of grits when I make a trip to Fla to see my mom or have her bring a bunch out when she and my SIL come to visit.

They cook up real good in crockpot too.

I worked with a Brit in Norway who had another trick - they use lots of electric kettles in the UK and such to heat hot water for their tea and such. They are available here too. He'd put his gravy in it. Kept it hot and poured right out the spout where you wanted it and easy to control. (I was responsible for locating housing for the team and when this guy came over all he said he wanted was an apartment over a pub.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Quote from: rjwoelk on July 11, 2015, 10:13:04 PM
:D I am with you sawguy21 I tryed them swallowed that first and last spoon full. I heard a comedian give a dilogue on making them for a secial occasion, and in the end the dog got them.

If I'm reading your post correctly you had two spoonfuls at once.  WOW!!
Gerald

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 11, 2015, 10:29:08 PMMM,    I can't believe you grew up in Mississippi and never ate cheese grits.
I ain't messin' up my Grits with additives.  Also, we only use Grits made from yellow corn, same as yellow cornmeal for cornbread.

rjwoelk

Lol no I just had one spoon full it was my first and my last, most disgusting stuff I have ever eatin. Lol
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on July 12, 2015, 02:08:21 PM

I ain't messin' up my Grits with additives.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

MM,

Not far off. My old mentor was like an adopted grandfather. He took his (yellow) corn to mill and sifted off/separated the meal, fine grits and coarse grits. We ate them just like others do rice or potatoes especially with fish or game. I cringe when my wife's aunt (who grew up in Ala and should know better) who moved to Ohio puts sugar on them.

If/When (I know you will) you try cheese in your grits you will realize it does help on certain occasions.
Howard Green

Magicman

We have our county Baptist Men's Night tomorrow night and I will be cooking Grits for ~200 men.  We will bake 600 biscuits and cook 65 lbs of sausage.  No telling how much sausage gravy and tomato gravy.   :o   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!