iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Round-Up ready Sweet Corn

Started by martyinmi, August 04, 2015, 05:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyinmi

Anyone tried it yet?
I have 4 ears in the pan just coming to a boil. 8)
My health nut friend tells me there's little to no health value in genetically altered corn...???
She can't seen to substantiate her statements though. ;)

I'll post back in a while and let ya'll know whether it is palatable or not. It sure looks good!

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Raider Bill

I'd like to round-up some good fresh sweet corn!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

BradMarks

GMO corn resistant to Glyphosate (Round UP)??  Is that what you are referrring to? Or more like Raider Bill ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've never heard of Round Up Ready Sweet Corn.

We grow lots of Round Up ready Mule / Deer Corn.  Deer hunters buy it by the truck loads.
Southern folks eat Sweet Corn.

Round Up Ready Corn down South means the corn fields can be sprayed with Round Up weed control.
Usually sprayed 2-3 times before picking.

The Mule corn has no taste at all and is very bland. We have some people come by and they will buy it and eat it. However, we do tell them about the corn being sprayed with Round Up. They buy and eat it anyway.

Personally, I will not eat Round Up ready corn. I'll just stick to the Sweet Corn we grow.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sawguy21

Getting corn on the cob for dinner for the third straight day, bring it on!!!  8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

21incher

I would toss it in the garbage. That stuff absorbs the round up and distributes throughout your body. Don't buy it and they will stop growing it.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

js2743

Is round up any worse than Atrazine? I have seen fields sprayed with atrazine take several years to be able to get seeded back in grass. I havent researched it but Round up cant be as bad as atrazine and its been used for years to control weeds and grass in all corn grown.

Blackgreyhounds

I have been keeping bee hives lately.  Please, please, please, do not use Roundup or any other herbicide/pesticide.  It is heavy duty poison.  Bees and other pollinators concentrate it.  Classic short term gain at the expense of long term sustainability.  Just my 2 cents.

beenthere

This is a link to how toxic glyphosate is, and it is pretty benign as I read it.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/glyphotech.html

Little to nothing to fear, IMO.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Windy_Acres

My MD treats children of farmers for exposure to atrizene and glyphosate. This subject is akin to politics, your either in one camp or the other. You either believe they are benign or pretty toxic. There appears to be no middle ground.

This is one of them common sense subjects that has been so well indoctrinated into the public, the public has forgotten how to think for itself. The ins and the outs of the subject are glaringly clear to some, and totally opauqe to others, although I dont know why ( I live on a farm, in a county that is over 80% crop land and some of the best in the nation, so I know a little about it ).

If you believe everything you read.... and there is allot to be read, well I guess you have you own it.

I will leave it at that.

martyinmi

Well.....
I ate 4 giant ears of Round-Up ready sweet corn and I'm still here.
My goal was to eat it, then post my thoughts.
HOWEVER, my beautiful bride brought me home 2 pulled pork sandwiches from Burger King and a large tea(not that sweet, un-manly stuff ya'll southerners drink ;) ), and after all that, I fell into a deep slumber that lasted until about 10 pm, at which time I woke up all bright eyed and bushy tailed...and forgot to post my findings! ::)
That stuff is AWESOME!!!
The father of the kid who sells it is our Pioneer Seed dealer. He claims the seed is $700/bag!
3 bucks/dozen up here in Gods country.
I'm gonna keep buying it until mine is ready. 8)
I'm going to plant some next year too.
We spend well over 100k with him(our seed dealer) every year, so I'll wager he'll give me enough for a half dozen 50' rows.
If it's Ready to Round-Up (pun definitely intended!) when the pig roast is on, I'll bring some up and let everyone there try some. :)   
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

WDH

Apparrently, consuming round-up-ready corn causes one to insult Southerners  :D.  I wonder how many insults will there be per ear?  ;D.  You need to develop a data sheet as the insults arise and document them so that you can publish them here.  It is funny that this corn has this effect on you as most Northerners don't need to eat round-up-ready corn to insult Southerners.  It just comes natural :D.

(Now don't get insulted.  Just having fun...)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on August 07, 2015, 09:25:03 PM
Apparrently, consuming round-up-ready corn causes one to insult Southerners  :D.  I wonder how many insults will there be per ear?  ;D.  You need to develop a data sheet as the insults arise and document them so that you can publish them here.  It is funny that this corn has this effect on you as most Northerners don't need to eat round-up-ready corn to insult Southerners.  It just comes natural :D.

(Now don't get insulted.  Just having fun...)

Preach it Danny, Preach it!  And if ya need it help. I'll ROUND UP some more if us.  :D :D :D :D :D

martyinmi

What is this?
Gang up on the DanG Yankee, will ya! :D :D
All of ya'll, or both of ya'll, or however all of you all say(s) it got one coming! :snowball:

I'm going North toward Lake City tomorrow.
Maybe I'll drop off a dozen ears to Jeff.

If he's home, maybe us two MEN will partake of a cool glass of unsweetened tea! ;D ;D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

thecfarm

martyinmi,I am heading your way as I type.  ;D  We are strong in numbers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

Round up ready sweet corn, I figured it was just a matter of time. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Delawhere Jack

Help me out here, I'm a bit corn-fused....... say_what

In the mean time, I'll stick to the good old fashioned heritage breeds. If the rest of you start growing gills on the side of your neck........ well.......we'll deal with that when it happens. :D

Delawhere Jack

Knew a guy twenty years ago who grew up in Indiana. He said they would get a pot boiling on the stove and then go out and pick a few ears, and run back to the house to cook them. He said if you dropped them, you just left them and went back to get "fresh" corn.

I imagine the wonders of science have created an ear of corn you can leave in the trunk of your car for a month before you eat it...... sound tasty.... ::)

21incher

I'll stick to my gmo free silver queen for the best corn flavor. Don't eat to much of that stuff that causes tumors to grow in lab rats. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

We "rounded up" some bi-color sweet corn at the Flea Market today which will become our evening meal which will probably be nothing but corn, so if we die......da corn did it.    ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Before you know it, you will be insulting Southerners Northerners. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Nah, dey took da Grit bait and are completely off track chasing dere tails da FedEx truck.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Dat sweet corn was some good yeah !!!   :)

Blackgreyhounds

Quote from: martyinmi on August 07, 2015, 09:19:57 PM
Well.....
I ate 4 giant ears of Round-Up ready sweet corn and I'm still here.
My goal was to eat it, then post my thoughts.

O.K.  I want to start with the statement that I really respect real world experience.  So thank you for posting!  Glad to hear you are doing great.

However, this post (no judgment on the poster!) is a classic example of citing individual results without looking at the "big picture" population-based evidence.  I'm sure that every one of us here knows someone who is 90+ years old and smoked a pack of cigarettes every day since age 13.  Does this mean that smoking does not cause lung cancer???  Of course not.  It's all probabilistic ("stochastic").  Does smoking increase your risk for cancer?  YES!  Does smoking mean you will absolutely get cancer?  NO!!!!!

Next point:  I agree that Roundup/glyphosate is generally very safe for humans, especially the "Roundup Ready" products.  By the time these are harvested and consumed, humans generally get no or negligible dosage of Roundup.  It's used long before harvest and is usually completely gone when the product is harvested.  So... The fact that you ate some Roundup Ready corn and did not get sick (in the short term) is ABSOLUTELY EXPECTED, whether Roundup is "safe" or Roundup is toxic to humans.  It is an irrelevant and extraneous anecdote.

Better questions to ask and study would be:  1) Does acute or chronic exposure to glyphosate cause increased risk of diseases in humans?  2) What are the effects of glyphosate on the rest of the environment outside of humans?  Clearly, glyphosate, even in low doses is detrimental to honey bees (we raise bees).  http://jeb.biologists.org/content/217/19/3457.long

My favorite saying is "The plural of anecdote is NOT data."  This translates to "media sound bites do not represent reality."

Thank You Sponsors!