iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with a sharpener and setter combo.

Started by wewacountryboy, February 08, 2010, 08:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wewacountryboy

There is a man selling his custom made sharpener and setter combo's on ebay under the name of awesomemills4u. He is asking $550.00 for the set. That's a good price from others if it will do what he states. Does anyone have this sharpener? Any input will be great.
Jonathan Hanson

John Bartley

It doesn't look as if this sharpener does a profile grind. It looks like it just sharpens the front of the tooth only.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

dreed2

I bought one about 2 months ago. I couldn't resist the price. It took almost 3 weekes to get here. After assempling it with poor instructions and very poor directions on how to operate it I made my first attempt to sharpen a blade. You do only sharpen the face and it took my about 15 minutes. I was  suprised how well it cut when I did saw with it. I have't used the setter yet. His instructions said you didn't have to set every time. I would buy it again after cutting with the reshapened blade

Tom Sawyer

If you are only sawing occasionally for your own use a sharpener like that will probably be acceptable.  However, you will not get as much life from the blades if you are not grinding the tiny cracks out of the gullet of the blades each time.  They will break prematurely at the gullet.  You might be better off finding someone who has a decent sharpener and setter who knows how to use it and pay a few dollars to get them done right.  That's my opinion anyway! ;D

Tom

fishpharmer

Dreed2, welcome toforestry forum.  What kind of wood are you sawing with your mill (I read your profile)?   It's good to have you here.  Sounds like your sharpener is reasonably fast.  Have you any pictures of it?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Dreed2,  Welcome to The Forestry Forum.  There's a lot of good information here...... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sdunston

Quote from: wewacountryboy on February 08, 2010, 08:13:17 PM
There is a man selling his custom made sharpener and setter combo's on ebay under the name of awesomemills4u. He is asking $550.00 for the set. That's a good price from others if it will do what he states. Does anyone have this sharpener? Any input will be great.
If it looks like this one I have one and it works fine http://bigcatbandbladesharpeners.com/services
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Thank You Sponsors!