iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boiled Bowls

Started by metalspinner, June 07, 2010, 02:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

A while back, Jim King posted this article link on boiling bowls...

http://www.exoticwoodworld.com/boilingwood2.htm

This weekend, I decided to give the technique a go.  So I hit the slab pile and pulled out some walnut.  I cut the slabs into bowl blank sizes and waxed the ends.  I sealed them because I knew I wouldn't have time to turn and boil them all.  They were then thrown into this pallet...

After rough turning, they were thrown into the boiling cauldron. Here's the action shot... :D

According to the instructions, they should boil for 1 hour per inch of wall thickness.  Here they are after the boiling. They range in size from 5" to 10"  in diameter and 2"-3" thick.

Here is the largest of the group. It is about 13" and 4" deep.

After they dry for three days under cover, they will be transferred to paper bags to complete the drying. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

jdtuttle

Can't wait to see how they turn out.
jim
Have a great day

WDH

I saw the Title and thought that is was about some funky Northern food  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Quote from: WDH on June 08, 2010, 08:46:40 AM
I saw the Title and thought that is was about some funky Northern food  :).

Me too, we think alike..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

metalspinner

The walnut and cherry stock is still in the pot if you guys would like me to send you a couple of gallons.  It might liven up your next soup a bit. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Lud

If you boil it down , you might have the makings of a brown dye for light wood or ladies into weaving or other fiber arts. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Gary_C

Or flavoring for grits.  ;D ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WDH

There you go, Gary!  Pretty soon, you will be eatin' grits bareback  :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gary_C

Could I just go bareback and forgo the grits?  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

CHARLIE

I haven't tried the boiling process yet but I've used the process where you soak the bowl blank in a detergent solution and had good luck with it.  I didn't have any splitting but the wood is still moving, so the finished bowl will go a little out of round.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bro. Noble

Charlie, 
I don't know how you treated that red oak that you used to turn those inside out ornaments for me,  but it must have worked.  I was showing a couple of them to Jake and Lorraine when they visited recently and they looked like you turned them yesterday 8) 8) 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

CHARLIE

Brother Noble, I'm glad you are enjoying those and especially because they came from your special tree.  I didn't do anything special to that wood.  Just sanded super smooth and applied shellac. I think I waxed them too. 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!