iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mom's Dresser

Started by Magicman, June 25, 2010, 10:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Before her health failed, my Mom started refinishing this old White Oak bedroom dresser.  She had stripped the old finish and dismantled everything that would come loose.  It was in 23 different jigsaw pieces.

As a tribute to her, it was finally time to reassemble it.  Next to go on will be the mirror frame assembly.  I haven't decided whether to actually place a mirror on it yet.

I'll probably use a Danish Oil or something like that for a finish.  That should make the oak grain really stand out.  I'm thinking that this dresser should be 75 to 100 years old.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

Do you have the key to the drawers?  :D

Or, as Norm Abram says, "Draws?"

That's a mighty fine job y'all did.  A note hidden within with her name, your name and a little story about the dresser will mean a lot to family down the road.

If you could find a beveled mirror that would fit the frame, it would really set it off.  Who wouldn't be proud of this effort.  Good show!!

CHARLIE

If you need parts, keys, mirrors and stuff like that when restoring antique stuff, try this company. At the very least you should order a free catalog 'cause they are fun to look through.

http://www.vandykes.com/
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Magicman

Quote from: Tom on June 25, 2010, 10:33:43 PM
Do you have the key to the drawers?  :D

No, to the keys, but I'll check that vandykes link. Notice that the keyholes each have a wooden escutcheon.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Dan_Shade

that is very nice.

How are the carved peices attached?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

Quote from: Dan_Shade on June 26, 2010, 10:39:35 AM
How are the carved peices attached? 

I had to go and look.  Little brad nails and glue.  There is no sign of looseness on any of them.

Magicman

I got a big surprise when I dug those pieces for the mirror frame out. Mom had left the job of removing the old finish for me to do. Anyway, I got busy, removed the old varnish, etc. and assembled the frame. Surprisingly, every piece was there.

The mirror frame pieces.

Removing the old varnish.

Mom would be proud.  She loved old stuff that has had new life breathed into it.

WDH

From the look of the old varnish, you made a vast improvement!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yup, old black wrinkled up stuff.  It took three times to finally get it melted off.

Patty

WOW! That is a beautiful dresser....good job!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Magicman

Thanks Patty.  My Mom was working on that old dresser in 1995.  A bad car wreck stopped that and all future projects for her.  The stripping was just too much for her, so it's been in the barn since then.

Pat got after me last week to finish it.  Once I got started, it seemed like I was obsessed.  Of course, I thought about Mom the whole time while working on it.

Yes, she would be pleased, and I am proud.

Don K

Looks good Lynn. Your Mom would be very proud.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

metalspinner

The color of the raw wood is awsome! 
Did the barn hold any animals?  The reason I ask is that ammonia fumes from their urine would have made the color change significantly.

Very nice job. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

Nope, no animals.  That thick coat of old varnish had the wood sealed quite nicely.  Actually, I guess that some of that old finish soaks into the wood and gives it a richer color.  I ended up putting one coat of sanding sealer on it, and am planning on just leaving it as is.  I'm very pleased with the satin finish.

SwampDonkey

Looks great Magicman. You did a good job for your mom.   :) My uncle did some restoring of furniture that was my great grand mother's. Dinning room table and chairs, dresser, commode, spool bed. Mostly I think was made in Montreal, mostly hard maple and ash.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ljmathias

Nice work, Magic- just what I'd expect.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

The next time that DonK visits, that dresser will be right beside of his bed.   :)

Bill Gaiche

Magicman that is a very nice piece. Your Mom is proud you can asure yourself of that. Show the kids and family and keep the story alive as long as you can about its history.  Make sure that the next person that shows it in there home when you decide to pass it on,that it will mean as much to them as it does to you. These pieces of furniture are priceless. bg

Lud

Good looking job.  You might consider writing the story of the piece of furniture on the back with a permanent marker. 

Or on a drawer bottom, you could epoxy a printout of this thread and we'd all be a part of history.   :D :D

Provinence should be a part of everything we make.  That's why we sign and date our work, right? 8)

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!