iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forced spalt in hard maple observations

Started by flip, August 04, 2010, 08:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

I got a few hard maple logs from a tree service a few years ago and wanted it to spalt for some future projects.  One log sat on the ground and the other on top of the pile.  The log on top of the pile I cut up the other day was about half covered with the turkey fan fungus which was a good sign for spalting conditions.  Cutting this log it was noted that it was very dry and had a lot of cracks running along the length of the log, not so much on the ends as it was anchor sealed.  Although the log did have the fungus it did not have much color in the log or any of the black lines consistant with spalting. 

Log 2 did not have much fungus growth but did have more spalting than the first log.  I did notice that this log seemed much wetter than the firs one. 

I guess lesson learned if you want your stuff to spalt put it at the bottom of the pile in contact with the ground and keep it damp.   
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Burlkraft

That's the trick.

I usually let mine cook for a couple a years
Why not just 1 pain free day?

jim king

We have no problem spalting any species here in the jungle, it is automatic and fast, even the people rot here.

If you Google "how to"  "spalt wood"  you will find some information.

flip

I remember reading a FWW or Wood mag article on how to spalt after you have the log broken down into board form.  They were using some potting mix, couple different types of fungs and a few other ingredients to produce spalt in just a few months.  This was all done in a plastic storage container.  My hopes more than any are to get the black colony lines more than the color change.  Guess I'll have to keep practicing. :)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Burlkraft

That chest you got there is a beauty Jim  8)  8)  8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

CHARLIE

Cut a chunk of birch or maple, put it into a plastic garbage bag with a little dirt from the forest floor. Check it in a month or two.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

woodbowl

I've had success both ways and can't seem to peg the difference. Conditions change pretty fast around here causing inconsistant results.

I remember a recipe from years back that called for horse manure, oak leaves, water, 2 cans of beer, dirt, a packet of yeast and a tarp to cover the log pile with.

Start mixing the manure and leaves together with the water, then the other dry ingredients. Slowly pour one can of beer as to have a uniform mix. Drink the other beer while mixing. Pour the concoction on each log and cover with a tarp. Check logs in a few months for spalt.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Thank You Sponsors!