iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I bet superman and the hulk run when they see none of ya comin

Started by 1woodguy, May 11, 2012, 04:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1woodguy

Green oak hurts ya'!!!!!!,
If ya think your tough it will let ya know!
Played with it three trailer loads over a week ago my right arm still holds itself like it was in a sling .....messed up a tendon I guess
My buddy still gasps when he straightens up
Bet you guys can crush rocks and throw cars
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Chuck White

Quite a few aches & pains and tired muscles occur when I start sawing in the Spring, but they fade as summer approaches.

One really needs to approach their first sawing of the season.

Just like stretching, etc before jogging!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ianab

All the mill manufacturers like to quote how much their mills can cut in a day.

They don't factor in how much you can actually offload in that same day  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Lud

Hickory can hurt you too.  Actually any 2 x12 x 16" can strain a fella.

If you haven't discovered  the hookeroon,   you really should look into them.  They can be bought but I've made 3 or 4 and always reach for one in almost any wood moving activity.

Number #1.  You aren't bending over as much so you save your back.
Number #2. Your grip on the hookeroon is ergonomic. Not straining your hands and arms to grip the lumber.  Works great on firewood.
Number #3.  The more you use it the better you get. You'll hook a board on the ground and lift it to your empty hand and then shift sideways and hook further down the board.  The increased width of the grip is advantageous .  It is leverage.
Number #4. There's a twist to the wrist that can let you "de-hook" to release the wood.  YOu  can almost throw stuff.
Number #5.  If stuff's farther away from you, you're safer!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Chuck White

I've been thinking of getting a hookeroon or pickaroon, primarily to reach across the mill to pull flitches for edging!

The only thing that keeps holding me back it the $$.$$, they're quite pricey for what they are!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DanG

Chuck, a Logrite hookeroon does seem pricey when you just look at it, but it would be cheap at twice the price when you use it.  Go ahead and order one.  Your only regret will be that you didn't do it sooner. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Raider Bill

Quote from: DanG on May 11, 2012, 09:29:12 AM
Chuck, a Logrite hookeroon does seem pricey when you just look at it, but it would be cheap at twice the price when you use it.  Go ahead and order one.  Your only regret will be that you didn't do it sooner. ;)

I bought 2 LogRites just to pull firewood wood out on my pickup truck. Money well spent.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Bogue Chitto

1woodguy, I pulled a tendon in my arm hauling lumber.  Took 4 months to get well. I don't like the sound of that pop when it happened.  :-\

Jim_Wahl

Hi 1woodguy,

Sounds like you are doing alright for a guy your age.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Delawhere Jack

Leverage (and power equipment) are your friends. The older I get the more I appreciate that.

I'm nearly twice your age, and it seems like something new hurts everyday, often for no good reason. (Don't laugh, you'll be here sooner than you think). If you're getting out of breath, or you've got veins bulging while you work, you're doing something wrong. Think leverage. You only get one body, you've got to make it last the whole race.

Take it easy on that arm, tendons take a while to heal. I missed a whole season of softball due to tendonitis in my left elbow. It almost never bothered me except when I'd swing the bat, and then it felt like a 16d nail got jabbed into my elbow.

Chris Burchfield

I like sawing Cedar.  To the uneducated, I'm sawing infront of their eyes.  Taking chunks of the outer slab and tossing it like toothpicks.  Lifting and carrying several boards at a time to their trailer without much effort.  Adjusting the cedar log on the bunk sometimes with one arm when I can't do it with the hydraulics, knots and such.  Makes me look like how I think Paul Bunyan would have done it when he cleared the great Sahara Forrest!   :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Magicman

You have never seen a picture of me with the sawmill when I did not have a weightlifter's belt on.  It is simply a part of my "uniform".  That has nothing to do with a shoulder, but it does have something to do with me keeping on keeping on.   ;D

Correct balance, lifting, standing, reaching, and whatever else we do sometimes takes more than strength.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

Quote from: Chuck White on May 11, 2012, 09:07:47 AM
I've been thinking of getting a hookeroon or pickaroon, primarily to reach across the mill to pull flitches for edging!

The only thing that keeps holding me back it the $$.$$, they're quite pricey for what they are!

I made my own.

Someone gave me an old axe that had been used to hack out roots. The cutting edge had a 1/16" flat all the way across. So I got out my white paint stick and drew out a pair of nice curves on the blade of the axe. Removed the handle and used the cutting torch to trace out the curves. [HINT: White paint sticks usually use titanium dioxide for a pigment and it actually glows as the flame approaches it instead of burning away.]

I let the blade cool naturally to temper it right down to soft metal. Then I used a mini-grinder to smooth out the cut surfaces. Next I heated the tip until it glowed a dull red and then I stuck it into a bucket of water to harden it.

To finish it off, I remounted the handle and drilled a 1/8" cross hole right through the head and the handle. Then I hammered in a 1/8" split pin to hold the head on permanently. Ground the pin off flush with the head and it was done. Works like a charm.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Brucer,

I heard that if there's no pictures it never happened...

Herb

Lud

Guys who really know metal may have other suggestions, but of the 4 I've made, the quality of the steel is important.

One was from a big old worn out file.  Hammered the tang down to sharp with a bit of a curve and mushroomed the tip a tiny bit with a few taps.   This is key to penetrating the wood, holding , and popping out on release.  I used an old broke shovel handle and split and wedged it into oval I'd bent on the file body when I'd gotten it up to orange hot.  Arc welded it shut and tried to keep temper in the tip.

It is a favorite for balance and strength.

One I made out of pick handle is a little heavy.

I'd say the perfect length would be like a cane if you were holding the head as you are most often lifting stuff off the ground.  Good for taking a walk around the farm with too. Lets you drag a windfall branch off a path easier.

Inch to five quarters in diameter- like a shovel hand.  Rake handle might be a little light.

They can also be exasperatingly difficult to  find if you don't remember where you set it down.  I wrap the end of the handle in flourescent orange duct tape.  Makes them easier to locate! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

sigidi

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on May 12, 2012, 02:26:46 AM
Brucer,

I heard that if there's no pictures it never happened...

Herb

Just thinkin the same myself :o ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

Lud

Grabbed them and took a pic.  Heat up an old file or piece of good steel for  a bit more than an inch ID,  use an old , broke shovel handle or similar and you can have one too.  Bending over too much gets old- make a hookeroon! 8)

The bottom one is my current favorite.  The middle one was my first and handle is due for replacing.  Top was a pick handle and doesn't have good ballance so will likely replace also.

Here's a shot of the heads

Like I said,  that bit of orange tape helps you find on e when you need one.

Magicman

Lud,  I love your "something outta nothing" attitude.   smiley_flipping    8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Indiana Robinson

Quote from: Lud on May 26, 2012, 07:15:11 AM

Like I said,  that bit of orange tape helps you find one when you need one.

I would have to use a lot more orange... and add blue stripes... and still have to tape an old cellphone to it so I could call it and locate it.  ;D
Some days I spend half my time looking for what ever I just laid down "somewhere".  ::)

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

bandmiller2

I want wonder woman to be my offbearer,guess that won't happen have to settle for a pickaroon.Find an old wornout pick with a good handle,take your torch cut one side off and shorten and thin down the outher shape as per the pictures and you got one cheap. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

All of my stuff has florescent orange tape.

Especially the Logrites.   :)

Bogue Chitto

MM,  I got to get some of those.  Been wanting them a while.  Guess I will break down and get them. 

Magicman

I didn't even know how badly I needed them until I got them.   ;D  They will make you throw rocks at everything else.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lud

I used wood handled cant hooks until 4-5 years ago when I learned about the Logrites and got one.

Such a difference!

I gave one of the wood ones away and use the other to prop a door closed........

Logrite is just right!

lyle niemi

Quote from: Chuck White on May 11, 2012, 09:07:47 AM

If you dont want to spend the money to buy one, you can build one yourself pretty cheap.

Thank You Sponsors!