iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got short logs, dunno what to do with 'em?

Started by sigidi, May 21, 2012, 07:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

I had an order for some timber, but logs needed docking for the order, which then left me with half a dozen short logs. Dunno bout you guys but 4' (1.2m long) is short for me...

In the background you can just see the width of my skid steer bucket and these 'logs' fit inside the bucket!!!
So I can get the c/s and dock these 'short logs' into 3-4 billets to split for firewood, here I can get about $120 for a ute full of firewood delivered, would need all 6 of these short logs plus more, then dock them and split them, plus load then into the ute and deliver the firewood or find another use for them  ;)

so I get one of these short logs into the mill and line it up...

after I have done a bit of slicing (20 mins on the engine), I'm left with this much from the first short log....

and have the equivalent of 3 ute fulls of firewood in my wallet - thank you very, very  much Mr. Lucas 8) 8)

Any guesses what I sliced out?
Always willing to help - Allan

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

rmack

those look like the perfect length for shop dunnage

12"x12"x4' is a very handy piece, as is 6"x6"x4' ;)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

CalebL

2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

rmack

Quote from: CalebL on May 21, 2012, 10:26:54 AM
I would have made stickers.

isn't making stickers on a swing mill classified as a zen activity?  :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Meadows Miller

Gday Alan

I usually cut either House Stumps or Bollards out of them short ones Mate  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

colinofthewoods

Holmes

Around here a bollard is a vertical  thing you put in the ground to keep someone from hitting a pipe or gas meter .
Think like a farmer.

ely

or a store or a gas pump.

i saw my shorts up ito boards for waincoat, or else short projects. or stikers/.

tcsmpsi

Short logs, milled live edge. 

Turned into these (and other patterns) by customer.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Tree Feller

Quote from: colinofthewoods on May 21, 2012, 11:45:44 AM
I gotta ask,  what is a bollard ?

A bollard was originally a short post, somewhat mushroom shaped, on deck used for mooring a vessel dockside. The term has expanded to include short posts for directing traffic, etc as noted above but larger boats still have and use bollards.

As for short logs...

The majority of woodworking projects do not require stock longer than four feet. It could be sawn into boards and sold to woodworkers, perhaps at a slight discount.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

cleargrain

I made a bunch of stair treads and risers - doug fir and maple

-Scott
AK mill powered by either an 066 or an 075, '79 MD 127, Allis Chalmers 655 tracked loader/backhoe

sigidi

Well lads, I cut out a bunch of step treads and got myself $350 for the 20 min milling from a log which was gonna be junk  ;D ;) 8)

dblair

I wouldn't cut anything shorter than 6 ft. on my circle mill . that's as short as it will cut ;D ;D ;D ;D
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

MHineman

Quote from: dblair on May 22, 2012, 09:05:08 AM
I wouldn't cut anything shorter than 6 ft. on my circle mill . that's as short as it will cut ;D ;D ;D ;D
I can't remember the exact distance between the uprights on my mill, but I think it is about 45 inches.  You have to be a little creative with junk boards and flitches to support the log when it's shorter than that.
  I had several very happy customers when I've cut those short logs or even firewood for them.  Their woodshop bandsaw is not big enough to cut something bigger than 14 inches usually and I do not like to cut anything smaller than that anyway.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Sixacresand

If a long log has crook in it, I'll cut it at  the  crook.  I wind up with a short log.  I mill short boards from it.  Always needing short pieces of lumber for braces, shelves, etc.  It's not very productive, but its fun. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sigidi

I wont cut anything smaller than 3m log and 1m diameter, but I often have to compromise lmlao ;D

Meadows Miller

Il take whats leftover if you want to get fussy Allan  :) ;) :D :D :D :D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

shelbycharger400

i built my mill to make use of those short logs that just show up.
lots of people cut yard trees at 2 to 4 ft and dump them off at the compost site.
i have seen LOTS of short logs in many many places.

5quarter

some guy brought me a trailer load of cherry branchwood that had been sitting in a barn "seasoning" for 11 years. nothing longer than 5-6' and as ugly as they come. He insists on having it sawn, even though I told him he was wasting his $$. My jobs are by the hour, so I'll cut what ever shows up.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

colinofthewoods

this what I do to short logs... when I have the time.

sigidi

Quote from: Meadows Miller on May 26, 2012, 12:27:47 PM

Il take whats leftover if you want to get fussy Allan  :) ;) :D :D :D :D

Hey Chris, hope ya doin well mate

Thank You Sponsors!