iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer blade broke at the weld

Started by just_sawing, May 25, 2012, 09:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I have always been happy with my wood mizer blades but this one I don't know.
I sawed 18 ties and sharpend the blade.
Sawed 300 feet of walnut hit two 40 penny nails. Sharpened the blade
Cut 10 ties and resharpened the blade
Cut 5 ties and sharpened the blade (customer wanted me to cut a Bowdock)
Sawed 150 feet of bowdock and hit 2 20 penny nails Sharpened the blade
Sawed 8 ties and sharpened the blade.
Started to due resaw on old growth walnut and the blade broke at the weld.
I though blades weren't suppose to break at the weld. Well i guess I will let WM get away with this one.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

mikeb1079

i don't know man, that sounds like a fair amount of abuse for any blade!    :o   i'd say your spot on to let this one slide. 
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Bogue Chitto

Yes, good buddy.  I am with mike, sounds like you got its life out of it.  :)  Those nails and Osage are hard. 

Magicman

But, WM will replace any blade that breaks in the weld for free.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

learydeere

I went to one of woodmizers seminars and they said a blade will never break at the weld if its been welded correctly and to always send them back

Mooney

Send it back!  :) Our quality control is quite rigorous, and having the blade back will help us identify any issues.

Glad it performed well for you before giving up the ghost!

barbender

That speaks good of WM when they will still take it back, I'd say you got your use out of it and were lucky enough to have it break at the weld. Six sharpenings plus all that metal (2 40 penny nails :o that should have toasted that blade right there) Hope you are tongue in cheek about not knowing about this one, or I'd venture a guess that your a little hard to please :)
Too many irons in the fire

just_sawing

Yes my rant was i tounge and cheek. I know that they would swap it out and I would let them have it. Woodmizer has been one of the best companies that I have ever dealt with.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Thank You Sponsors!