iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Proud new owner of a FB M14 Photo's Add

Started by Charles135, May 26, 2012, 05:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles135

I just went and disassymbled my new Foley Belsaw M14.  I was located about 2 hours from my house.  The owner was super friendly and hospitable.  We took the mill apart and loaded it up (with only one injury, a smished finger, but a mill is not really yours until you bleed on it).  I am headed home now or I would post pictures.  I will get them posted later tonight or tomorrow. 

I want to thank all you guys for your info as that helped me make my decision.  Oh, and whoever said a M14 was portable has a different definition of portable than I do!!!!     

One question for you'll: I have a J.D. 4039 power unit wig a clutched Rockwell pto with a 4 inch wide 8 inch diameter pully.  What is the best way to hook it to the mill instead of the pto shaft? As the power unit spins in the wrong direction.  Any photos of your conversion would be really appreciated. 

Charlie                   

I got all the pieces unloaded and spread out.  I had to stop due to a 6 years olds Bday party. 
More to come later!
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit
Serving the Thin Blue Line Since 1998

hackberry jake

Congrats on the new mill, the sawdust bug is like a drug addiction, the more you do, the more you want. I would maybe run a v-belt set-up so you could turn the tractor the way it needed to spin.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

bandmiller2

Charlie,you can twist the belts if their long enough ether "V" or flat.By twist I meen top of one pulley to the bottom of the outher.If the power unit has 4" wide pulley for flat belt it isn't really enough,probibly 6" would be minimum.If its setup for "V" belts  put on as many as you can.Your right every mill demands its pound of flesh. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

hardtailjohn

Charles, it IS a good feeling to have it all loaded up and headed home, isn't it!  Congrats on the mill! Can't wait to see pictures.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

thecfarm

Congrats on the mill. Let us know when the sawdust is flying.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Charlie,

Don't make a habit of bleeding on that mill. A couple of drops is good for a lifetime.

Herb

fishpharmer

Congrats on the M14.  Looks very clean. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

cutterboy

A sawmill is very important and so is a child's birthday. I hope you enjoy them both. Take care of that finger..... they're not surposed to be flat.  ;D
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

paul case

That looks about like the one I had. I Sure like the metal base,  it makes set up a lot easier. Mine was set up with only a pto shaft on the outside end, but I think speeding the blade up a bit with belts would work a little better.
If i had found the support of the FF I would probably still be sawing with that old m-14. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Cutting Edge

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on May 27, 2012, 05:37:29 PM
Charlie,

Don't make a habit of bleeding on that mill. A couple of drops is good for a lifetime.

Herb

I sure hope that is the goin' rate for chainsaws also....if so I'm sure most of us are paid up/ahead: Outta the RED and operating in the black.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Charles135

Thanks guys,
I think one bloody finger should about do me for a while. 
I hope to get her all put together by the end of the week and I add some more photos. 
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit

apm

I've got the original setup and operation manual for the M14. If Timberking can't send you one I'd be glad to mail it to you to copy.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Charles135

Greg,
I will check with Timberking first and let you know.  Thanks.
Charlie

Thank You Sponsors!