iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Cedar

Started by DaTowd, May 30, 2012, 07:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaTowd

Howdy Gang,
Our next cut will be the butt log from a huge cedar that is 8ft on the stump and 4ft wide at the top end and  28 ft long.
I have our Mobile Dimention saw near the down tree and have cut the top sections into mostly 4X10 timbers.

as the pictures show there is a split that looks like it runs through the whole log

I'm not sure on what would be the best way to handle this big log.

Split it along the natural crack using hydraulic jacks and jackalls. Then mill up the slabs
or
cut it to a 20ft. section/8ft butt end sections and roll it onto our mill and try to get the crack horizonial and cut our 4X10 out of it.
I could shoe horn a 23 ft section on our mill.
The 8Ft. butt end  showing the crack line

28+ft long and 4 ft wide on top end

I'm using blocks and tackle and the dump truck to move the logs- so far so good.
We are going to spin the log sideways and put the mill where the dump truck is.
I know how to have a lot of fun
any suggestions
cheers
hank

LOGDOG

That'll be a fun one to wrangle. Looking forward to the pics as you open that up.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Dang.........a Texas Tomato stack! :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

markd

I'd jump into that with a froe!
markd

colinofthewoods

Nice stick,  I would definately split it along  the crack,   starting at the top and working towards the bottom.  I would use about a dozen falling wedges , and maybe finishing the split with the jackall if you have to.     

You might a well buck it first though, just how you mentioned.

looking forward to the pics,    Like markD suggested,  worst case scenario is to have to take the froe to it.

Island Sawyer

If you split along the crack sometimes the cracks dont run straight even though it looks like they will.
You could ripp it with a chainsaw to get a straight cut. Cedar ripps like butter. And while you have a chainsaw
there you will be able to put an undercut in the one in the background in the first pic ;)

redbeard

I did one a little smaller than yours earlier this year and got alot of nice clear cedar out of it. Well worth the time spent on it. I just quartered it easily with the center gone in it. Using a mobile dimension you might want to just split in half if you can get it on the bunks. I have a band mill so the quarters were smaller but they were mill max. My pics are in a post called big ugly a few months back search it.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

customsawyer

I can't speak for logs that big but on the logs I normally work on I put the crack at a 45° angle so that I can edge the crack out of the board. This is when cutting hardwood for grade lumber. Not sure how it works for the cedar you are working on.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!