iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Look at these very heavy logs

Started by alsayyed, August 30, 2006, 04:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Today I went to dumping place where they dump everything in this place which owned and operated by the government. I have found these species of wood there where so many laying there so we cut the good one then I have left some because I could not fit everything in this truck. The foreman of the site gave a shovel and I have supplied the rope so we hooked the rope in the teeth of the shovel started loading they are heavy.
So I came in the evening to off load these wood from the pick truck and look in the picture what happened to my truck. I got good wood then I damage my 94 GMC truck, I have to repair it before the yearly inspection otherwise I will not pass the test.
Third picture is my logosol machine ready to slice that log, but still I am having problem how I am going to lift the other logs on the platform of the logosol.

Home > User galleries > alsayyed > alsayyed woodworking

Ga_Boy

Hi Alsayyed,

Nice looking load of logs there.   Well you are officially in the club of log haulers.  If you do not bend, break or damage something in the process then you have not hauled many logs..... ::)

On my trailer the ramps are held in place by a piece of flat plate steel.  A few weeks back I hauled a load of slab wood to a processing plant that makes mulch; they do not charge me for dumping my slabs.   While unloading the operator bent the piece of steel holding my trailer ramp in place.  I still have not gotten around to fixing it yet.

Looking forward to pictures of the material you mill from these logs.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

alsayyed

hey Mark tomorrow at 4:am early in the morning i am going to slice one log and to see the result. I will post more pictures tomorrow. I have read that you have bunch of trailers. my question is a two axle trailer will be ok for this kind of these logs, that i am loading in my truck.

Dan_Shade

I use a 2 axle trailer for that sort of thing.

breaking things goes with the territory of hauling logs for us "hobby" guys.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

mikeandike

Yeah ya start small and before you know it you're overloading
the trailers to save time. I started witha a 16 foot trailer and a
winch. Then a 22 foot 12000 pound trailer that I thought was huge.
It got overloaded and scared me bringing it home.

Finally I bought a self loading Mack log truck and haven't broken
much lately. Myself included.

I think you can get hurt loading trailers very easily. BE SAFE.
Don't get under a lifted log or between a log and anything. Always
watch your footing. Loading a trailer by hand puts you in harms
way several times per log.

Don't over load your trailer.

the log truck has been the single most time saver and back saver
in my inventory.

Good luck

Mike
Looking for a slabber
WMLT40HD

jkj

Quote from: alsayyed on August 30, 2006, 04:06:37 AM
... I have to repair it before the yearly inspection otherwise I will not pass the test.

I bought an old truck once that had tailgate damage from overloading.  I "fixed" it by putting the tailgate on the ground, supporting it where needed, then driving over it with the truck.  It took several tries to get it right.  It's not exactly what I call pretty but it's straight and it closes perfectly.

But around here, people sometimes remove their tailgates and install a net.  Would that pass inspection in your area?  (Tennessee has no vehicle inspection.)

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

Ga_Boy

A two axel trailer rated for 14,000 pounds with a 16 to 18 foot deck is a good starting point.

Oh yes, make sure it is a flat deck trailer, this makes unloading very easy.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Jeff

alsayyed, that top log looks like it might be some sort of species of cedar. Be careful out there hauling weight like that! Hauling logs is one of the most dangerous things we do. In my opinion far more dangerous then sawing them.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

VA-Sawyer

A little over a year ago ( or is it two years now ? ) we lost one of our nicer forum members due to an accident while loading logs on a trailer.  I was pretty careful about such things before, but now I tend to shy away from even more of the chancy stuff. It is better to take the extra time needed to be safe rather than lose time  or maybe even your life in an accident.
Rather than trust a rope, get yourself some good quality logging chains.  There is no sense in getting a trailer that is heavier than your truck can safely pull. There should be towing infomation in the truck Owners Manual that will tell you how heavy of a trailer it will pull.  These members with 12,000 lb and heavier trailers are using larger trucks, like Ford 350's or GMC 3500's to pull them.
Could you just take your mill to the dump and saw the logs there ?  That way you would only be hauling good wood home and not all the weight that ends up in the slab pile.  Good Luck and BE CAREFUL!
VA-Sawyer

Corley5

The truck would fail an inspection because of a bent tailgate ???  Probably 75% of pick ups around here have damage similar to that  ;D 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Part_Timer

tomorrow I'll stake a pic of the tailgate of my truck and show y'all what damage is. :D :D

We were coming back from VA last year and the tailgate dropped and I didn't know it.   When I turned into the gas station it smashed the right side above the handel.  Chris asked what I was going to do because it wouldn't close.  I got back in the truck turned the wheel hard and backed up and creased the other side.  Now I don't have to worry about when it will happen and the tailgate will close. ;)
Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

leweee

Greg.... in Ontario the locals call that a smiley_big_grin3  "smileing"tailgate
:)

16' footers in a 8'foot box really makem smiley_biggrin01

DISCLAIMER....don't ask me how I know this :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

jkj

Quote from: VA-Sawyer on August 30, 2006, 07:43:03 PM
There should be towing infomation in the truck Owners Manual that will tell you how heavy of a trailer it will pull.

VA, Is there some way to find towing info for an old truck with no owner's manual?  I bought and mechanically restored a beatup '75 1-ton dualy flatbed (Chevy C30).  It's perfect - no AC to spoil me, no radio to distract, no silly door lock to mess with, everyone gives me plenty of room on the road, and I don't think it's real high on the list of vehicles likely to be stolen.

I use it trailer my Kubota (with brakes on the trailer), put up hay, and haul a few logs.  It seems to pull the loaded trailer just fine even up steep hills in the granny gear (about 5 miles to a gallon, I suspect!).  How can I find out what it is capable of hauling and pulling safely?

Ol' Pug in the background, loaded with walnut.

Ain't she pretty!

And concerning securing a load safely, for logs I've been using three or four of those big yellow rachet straps along with rubber chocks - should that be sufficient or should I switch to chains?  I have a bunch of 3/8" chain.  This is all a learn-as-I-go hobby for me so I'd appreciate any advice, especially about safety.

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

Norm

I'm not sure about your states rules jkj but in Iowa log trucks must use steel stakes on the sides. The use of chains is not allowed, the heavy duty ratchet straps are what's used.

JimBuis

Quote from: alsayyed on August 30, 2006, 04:06:37 AM
Today I went to dumping place where they dump everything in this place which owned and operated by the government.......Third picture is my logosol machine ready to slice that log, but still I am having problem how I am going to lift the other logs on the platform of the logosol.

You can try the inverted method with that mill.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

jkj

Quote from: Norm on August 31, 2006, 03:07:55 AM
I'm not sure about your states rules jkj but in Iowa log trucks must use steel stakes on the sides.

Thanks, I'll check on the regulations.  I can make some steel stakes which seem like a good idea regardless of the rules.  So far, I've only hauled logs off-road or 1/2 mile or so from some neighbor's properties.

(I just looked up some regs in TN, and at first glance I find nothing about stake sides.  It does appear that trucks and trailers used exclusively for farm use are exempt in many cases from some of the regulations, including trailer brakes, tags, width and height, licensing and registration, and driver CDL and health card.  Maybe some forum reader here with TN experience will respond.)

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

tnlogger

Jkj just get some 3" chanel cut as high as you need it and stick 2 on each side in the
stake pockets.
  The straps are fine thats all I used on the chevy log truck. the dot here dont bother
to much with us as long as all the lights work and you dont speed.
what are you running 9000lb tags on the one ton?
Ireally need to get out and visit some of the tn. members see we're all so close  ;D
gene

beenthere

Jim
What is that ???  (I can see it is carrying the chainsaw, but does it have a name and some discussion here on the FF that can be linked ???).  Appears the saw is perpendicular to the grain in the log, and I've often wondered if the chainsaw mills don't usually have a slight angle to the cut, of something like 10-15° ?
Curious here. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

metalspinner

QuoteIreally need to get out and visit some of the tn. members see we're all so close 

Tn-man and Teenswinger will be coming over soon to cut about 2 mbf.  Why don't you pop in then.  There will be plenty to stack...I mean do...I mean we'll have lot's of fun. ;D :D :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

tnlogger

now that sounds like a plan  ;D
let me know when and where and I'll make sure and be there  cause I want to see that
swinger in action anyway  ;)
gene

JimBuis

Quote from: beenthere on August 31, 2006, 10:40:28 AM
Jim
What is that ???  (I can see it is carrying the chainsaw, but does it have a name and some discussion here on the FF that can be linked ???).  Appears the saw is perpendicular to the grain in the log, and I've often wondered if the chainsaw mills don't usually have a slight angle to the cut, of something like 10-15° ?
Curious here. 

That would be a Logosol M7 chainsawmill.  Just do a search on the forum here or Google it.  Its sort of like a "state of the art" Alaskan.  The frame holds small logs while the frame also holds the chainsaw on an incorporated rail and is pulled along by a small hand winch rather than having to push it through the log.  When the log is too heavy to sit on the frame, the entire mill is inverted on top of the log and still accomplishes the basic job of breaking down the log.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

beenthere

Thanks Jim
I didn't recognize it hanging upside down.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

VA-Sawyer

jkj,
Is there an info sticker on the drivers door post or end of the door ? It may give you such info as GVWR ( Gross Vehicle Weight Rating )  which is the maximum the loaded truck should weigh. It may also give you Axel Weight Ratings for the front and rear axels. If you know the empty weight of the truck, you can subtract that from the GVRW to get an idea of the useful load. For towing, look for the CVWR or GCVWR. This is the max total weight of truck and trailer.
One more thing to check on when hauling heavy loads. Look at the sidewalls of your tires and check out their weight ratings and the air pressure required to carry that weight. I have seen tires with a total capacity of 10,000 lbs on a trailer rated for 14,000 lbs. That is a good way to blow out a tire! The same thing applies to tires on a truck. Really important on the rear tires as they get the lions share of any load in the trucks bed.
If there is no sticker or data plate, you may try talking to the service dept of the dealership. The front of the service manuals normally have the info to decode the VIN. They could give you an idea of the spring ratings and the weight class of the truck. They may even be able to order a replacement Owners Manual for the truck.
VA-Sawyer

Dan_Shade

what VA-Sawyer said is very important.  I know of one blowout in a pickup with a gooseneck trailer towing a 6200lb load that had a rear tire blow out at 70mph.  the tire was load range C, i'm pretty sure that's why it blew....

luckily nobody got hurt in that incident, but one can't be too careful.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

maple flats

I don't know when it started but my 92 pu has a sticker in the glove box with the weights. Problem is mine has all #'s readable except the 1st. Some day i may make the time to find out.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!