iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old barns

Started by ARKANSAWYER, May 24, 2005, 06:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

The Star Barn is one of my favorite barns located in Pennsylvania.  It was built in 1872 by financeer John Motter.  In 1995 a non-profit organization was formed to perserve this barn. 

This information is provided by the Star Barn Organization:

While the basic form of the Star Barn is typical of central Pennsylvania, late nineteenth century barns, its architectural details make it conspicuous. Larger than most barns in Central Pennsylvania, it has three threshing floors rather than the more usual two. It is also taller than the typical barns of the area. The additional height allowed for an extra floor where hay or grain sheaves could be stored above the threshing floors. The height of the ground or first floor is also about two feet higher than usual. This ceiling height, the cross paneling of the Dutch doors, the chamfering of the floor joists and ventilator posts all indicate that this was meant to be an exhibition or show area, most likely for Motter's [the original owner] prize horses. The barn's cupola was topped with a weathervane punched with hearts and arrows and inscribed with Motter's name and the date of construction.

The height ground to gable is 40'.....Length 110'....Width 75'...Height to top of cupola 65'. 
Say when

Roxie

I just found a more recent picture that shows the improvements so far:

Say when

SwampDonkey

I like old barns too, but around here most are left to fall down. Must be that second generation thing.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stan

I don't think its a generation thing that these old barns are neglected. There is one at my sister's place that hasn't had a paint job that I can remember. My dad was gonna paint it UNTIL he found out the cost. My sister keeps her old horses in there, and it don't look like its ready to fall down yet.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Buzz-sawyer

On a farm everything has to pull its weight,............an old barn that no longer gets used gets less attention and money thrown at it.....thus the decline is based on function and non use. ::) ::)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Buzz-sawyer

Circa 1885 Kirk Allens family
You could EASILY have a square dance in the loft!

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Roxie

That barn is so interesting.  The Star Barn was built in 1872 and it has louvered windows.  Kirk's barn built in 1885 appears to have the same thing!  I wonder if there was an advantage to louvers during that period.  Was glass expensive?  Or......
When I was young we lived in a house that was built before the Civil War, and it had no windows except on the front of the house.  Some research showed that taxes were determined by the number of windows!
Regardless, it is an enduring design!   
Say when

mometal77

Few yrs ago i was in leavenworth,washington at a church camp with a friend that has his own timerframe company.  Anyways this house we noticed people constructing it and went to have a gander.  I guess it used to be an old barn at one point some company from montana tore it down and re assembled it pretty cool..
Haytrader great pics seen one other round barn like that heading into Arlington,washington.
I am supprised at the money people have to throwaway in taxes in a new place its like having an outhouse just add moss..
bob
deming,wa
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

redpowerd

i know there is grants for restoring old barns.

the great thing about round barns is working in a circle, you know when your done chores cause your back at the front door! :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Blake22

Quote from: DanG on May 24, 2005, 11:36:55 PM
That woulda been a nice one to save, Arkey.  I love old barns, too, and hate to see them go to ruin.  The county where I live was once famous for "shade tobacco", back before that substance fell from political favor.  There are dozens of ol tobacco barns around, but there used to be hundreds.  Most of them have fallen into disrepair and are falling down, but a few remain in decent condition.  I'll get some pics of the one across the road from my place tomorrow, along with some shots of my mule barn and cow barn.

Y'all stand by! ;D

I've got one of those tobacco barns on my place. Had 6 until a tornado in 1988 wiped 'em out. The one that's left is off the foundation & missing the roof on one end.

DanG why don't you come take it on down before it falls, we might make a a few bucks. You know where it is, on the Cherry Lake hwy.
Blake

Thank You Sponsors!