iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

top handle 201 concerns before purchase

Started by Lorenzo, January 23, 2015, 07:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorenzo

Considering a 201.  I have read page after page of stuff on the WWW and of course it's all true  :D
I started a thread about carving to try to get a non biased response but that failed.
So here goes another attempt  from another angle.

I cant find a fair priced good condition 200 so the 201 is my next choice.
I see some negative chat about the 201 and most of it was posted back in 2011 2012.
Lots of timing and muffler mod's going on to make people happy with their 201

Has Stihl done something to the current production 201 to eliminate the need for some of these modification to a brand new saw?
If so then when is the cut off date for the older not so good 201 verses the newer better 201 or is there such a thing?  I want a good quality top handle climbing saw and will also use it for carving on occasion.
Whats up with the 201?

Andyshine77

There was never any real quality issues with the 201T, it simply didn't have the power out of the box. I believe in late 2013 they changed a few things, carb, coil, flywheel and throttle linkage. This made some small performance enhancements, but nothing like opening the exhaust up and advancing the timing. 
Andre.

JohnG28

Stihl also sold an "enhancement kit" for the early 201t. It consisted of a new flywheel and coil as well as a different carb. I believe the newer ones or older ones with this kit did advance the timing on them as well. As Andy said, later 2013 through current should have this already in it as Stihl updated the saw. FWIW, there is a replacement in the works, or so has been said. This one will very likely be kept under wraps until it's release,  unlike the 201t. 
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

Stihl upgraded the MS201T in the neighborhood of about Feb. 2014 .Before hand they were selling 2 different upgrade kits with a flywheel, ignition module and carb. The differences in the 2 kits was the difference in carbs, if my memory serves me correct the preferred carb had a #18 in it's code.

The Stihl assembly line started the upgraded series with serial #177543232  which no longer required the upgrade kit.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Lorenzo

Thanks for the information. It's just what I wanted to know.  I almost bought a leftover 201 that would have surely needed the upgrade kit. You guys saved me from that.

BTW,  On another note is it true that a high percentage of accidents are related to use of top handle saws ?

HolmenTree

Yes top handles do get a bad rap for high percentage of accidents. Mostly due to end users operating them one handed, plus the work environment their designed for in aerial work doesn't help either.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JohnG28

They definitely are real light and maneuverable, and also powerful. It is easy to forget that it's a dangerous tool and designed for a specific task, aerial cutting by trained professionals. That said, I have only used mine in a tree a few times and the rest of the time when I need a small saw on the ground quick. But I pay extra attention when doing either.  I don't know the facts behind the statistics,  but I'd imagine many of the injures occurred by either an operator who didn't understand the differences in control from a rear handle saw or who forgot they were using a dangerous tool in a manner it was not designed for, on the ground. I could be wrong, just my opinion. Put some saws in your hands if even just at a dealer to get a feel. This may help you decide what you feel comfortable with. If I were looking to buy a top handle right now I'd be looking at a Husky 540t, and I usually lean towards Stihl!  ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!