iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandpa

Nice looking pile Barbender. It sure is nice working with someone who takes a little pride in their work. 

barbender

Believe me Mike, I don't take myself too seriously, and I like to dish it out- so I have a steady stream of guff coming back at me so I'm good at taking it too😁😁  Grandpa, we also have guys whose piles don't resemble that one at all👎
Too many irons in the fire

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: BargeMonkey on August 04, 2018, 11:55:39 PMnot the best picture but was in the middle of setting another 45' bridge across a creek, doing more and more of them, have to deck it next week. 

Barge,

Are those power lines in the pictures or guide wires used in moving the "bridge" into place?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

dustintheblood

Quote from: barbender on August 06, 2018, 10:59:40 PM
Some of you have complemented me on my wood piles, which I appreciate, but there is another operator on our crew that takes it to the next level. While he does plenty of tap tapping back and forth, he still moves a lot of wood and the trucks love him-

There's an old fellow about an hour north of here that puts up about 30 bush cord or so of splitwood for sale every year.
His piles are laser straight and level and plumb, not a speck of sawdust to be found anywhere between the piled wood rows he has green grass growing at 2" height (give or take a 1/16") exactly 8' wide, and each an every stick looks like he carved it by hand.

He makes the rest of us look like deadbeats.

:D :D
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Skeans1

mike_belben

If its any consolation, MR wood carvers stuff doesnt burn any better and though 3 out of 4 housewives probably refer their husbands to him, he is probably making less per hour than you.  

The right way to pile wood dispute is pretty dumb to me.  The obvious answer is off the conveyor, into the dump, and onto the customers lawn just as soon as they pass the cash.  On to the next one. 
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on August 07, 2018, 03:59:32 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on August 04, 2018, 11:55:39 PMnot the best picture but was in the middle of setting another 45' bridge across a creek, doing more and more of them, have to deck it next week.

Barge,

Are those power lines in the pictures or guide wires used in moving the "bridge" into place?
Oh... let's just say that's live power strung across the creek to power a couple RV's 😂  These landowners are literally from Transylvania, the monkeys green. 👍 

BargeMonkey

Rain, rain and more rain. One of my pit guys actually got a picture of a rainbow ending at the bottom of the pit road today, no pot of gold to be found. 👎

Poor skidder hasnt had much but grease lately, I try and get iron in for a bath and maintenance every couple jobs.

My 13yr old told me this morning he was "taking the day off to play video games", guess how that worked out for him today 😂

The firewood just isnt out there this yr, everyone is screaming for wood but I cant feed the monster fast enough.

A logger I know who works for Gutchess posted this, I thought it was funny so I had to pass it on. 😂

Cub

Always enjoy all of your posts and pictures. I envy you guys that get to be in the woods to make a living. I'm hoping someday I have enough work lined up that I can walk away from the factory job and sitting behind a desk. Drives me crazy but it pays the bills. Not cutting much now. Waiting for cooler weather to start cutting basswood and hard maple verneer and saw logs. Keep the pictures coming!! 

BargeMonkey

As much as it seems "great" I honestly dont advice anyone to go cutting wood fulltime for yourself unless your looking to starve to death. 
 That being said 😂 I got my 460 dropped off tonight and started yanking my loader out thru the mud. 

barbender

I was never under the impression it was great, just busy😊
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Well.. Its hard to think profits when youre knee deep running an industrial iron rescue.  Machines got to eat bub. 
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Skeans thanks for the pictures!  You can see the "dry" all the way from Virginia.  Hope you get some, not too much, rain soon.  

What's the harvester and what type of forwarder is running behind that?  I assume it is a pretty heavy thinning going on, how hard is it to forward in such a dense stand?
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

It's the 1270G with a h415 head harvester, forwarder is a TJ 1210B. Stand is roughly 400 TPA we're shooting for 180 an acre yarding in these type of stand is super easy especially cutting 24's if it was 18's & 16's it'd be miserable with the amount of saw logs coming out. Should be interesting in the near future they're wanting us to cut 36's and 32's have to see how the forwarder holds up.

BargeMonkey

Dozing slop and chunks off the header today. ALL DONE offering anyone firewood off the header ever again, yrs ago I bet the chunks and pieces heated 12 local homes, now I've got to literally beg people, it's when its convenient for them, it went out in the weeds today 🤣 

Next week this woodlot is getting it whether it likes it or not 🤣 Always fun to move that delimber, it takes me so long to get set up but then the wood goes out. CTL has to happen at somepoint, throwing every machine I've got at this job so I can get moved back down home soon. 

nativewolf

Quote from: Skeans1 on August 13, 2018, 08:50:37 AM
It's the 1270G with a h415 head harvester, forwarder is a TJ 1210B. Stand is roughly 400 TPA we're shooting for 180 an acre yarding in these type of stand is super easy especially cutting 24's if it was 18's & 16's it'd be miserable with the amount of saw logs coming out. Should be interesting in the near future they're wanting us to cut 36's and 32's have to see how the forwarder holds up.
So you cut 24's and they do the sawlog/pulp determination in the mill?  So you have a 14 or 16' bunk on there.  8' is not much of an issue but 36' a 16' overhang  ?  Even with the butts in the bunk and tips dragging that would be an issue I'd think.  
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

Quote from: nativewolf on August 17, 2018, 05:35:37 AM
Quote from: Skeans1 on August 13, 2018, 08:50:37 AM
So you cut 24's and they do the sawlog/pulp determination in the mill?  So you have a 14 or 16' bunk on there.  8' is not much of an issue but 36' a 16' overhang  ?  Even with the butts in the bunk and tips dragging that would be an issue I'd think.  
Bunk length is 19 or 20 on that machine so over hang is 4' with a 24' saw log, pulp I sort in the brush well cutting length isn't critical but I typically shoot for 20'. If we do long logs I'll build an insert for the rear most bunk to kick the back of the logs up more which should help with overloading issues as well as no dragging.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

I dont normally work this far out of town and I've been trying to get this job done for a while, finally started in today.

have a nice dry spot to set the delimber up, not to far from the slasher.
Anything that can go wrong has, hopefully have some dry weather.

Still hauling most nights. 👎

nativewolf

so you brought it all to this site?  Forwarder, skidder, timbco, loader, and delimber?  

I only ask because it looks like small timber compared to some of your other projects.

Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Yeah thats me too.  Every time i buck out a WO stave.. Oh baby, movin on up.  Every time the blade starts chattering because its almost out of oil... What the heck am i doing with my life?  

I almost bought a cheap knuckleboom (oxymoron?) last year and thankfully did not.  That equipment snowball.   Lots of machinery looks really profitable to the person who has never owned lots of machinery.  The less iron you can do the job with the more money you get to keep.

Is this all you running the show eric?  Or do you have operators?
Praise The Lord

Greyhound

30+"DBH Red oak uprooted due to all the rain this summer.  Got a couple logs off the butt end but the upper half of the main bole broke.  Too bad.  Oh well, plenty of firewood.  That's a 32" bar on the saw, bucked at 4' off the "ground".

olcowhand

I like that Stihl, and it makes that Log "Look Good".
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Skeans1

I'll be glad to get off this steeper ground for a while  

Thank You Sponsors!