iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picked up 14" gas powered table saw, whatcha think

Started by Kelvin, February 14, 2004, 03:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

I bought a couple of big cast iron tools at an auction today.  One was a 14" gas powered table saw.  Wonder if this would be a good asset for the sawmill shed?  The guy said you could push anything through it, and for $25 i couldn't resist. Huge, origional wiscon engine, that rolls over nicely.  Maybe i'll just fix it up, and try resell it, have to look it up on that old tools website if i can find it.  I also got a 1 1/4" shaft industrial shaper (w/o motor) for $25, a Sidney metal lathe with power feed and huge bed for $90, a 24" Wormer bandsaw that needs some fixing up for $100 (they also sold a 36" band saw that was 9' tall and weighed about a ton or so for $100)  I quit bidding on a 18" wide square head planer that was built in 1897 by Josiah Ross.  The bearings felt good and there was fresh chips in it, so my limit was $250, i bid $275 and quit.  The guy bought it for $300 (same guy bought 36" bandsaw.  I also picked up a delt industrial scroll saw, 20" plus depth for $25.  I got a set of automatic blade sharpener and setter, it had a band blade on it, but i think it must be for handsaws as the machine held a simple tringular file that stroked up and down.  Very heavy duty and intricate.  I stood out in the 20 degree wind for 6 hrs as the lathe was the very last item sold.  Should make a good heavy duty wood lathe.  Already was offered a single phase 5 hp blador motor (brand new) at the auction for $75 to put on the lathe as its 3 phase.  It should switch over easily.  I think this was a once in a lifetime sale for me.

Bill_B

Bill B

Oregon_Rob

Sound like fun, hope you got some extra room in that shed. 8)
Chainsaw Nerd

Frickman

Kelvin, how could you not invite all of us? You must want to keep these good sales all to yourself.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Frank_Pender

Well done Kelvin.  You sure hit the jack pot.  I would have boutgh the 36" band as well as the planer, if I were you. ;D

The resale is always greater than the actual price in such deals. 8)
Frank Pender

UNCLEBUCK

Kelvin you hit the motherload !  Show some pictures of this stuff especially that table saw , that tablesaw oh boy oh boy !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Captain

What is the kerf size on a 14" table saw and how big is the table?  I'm thinking resaw...

Kelvin

Yeah, kinda wish i bought the 36" bandsaw as well, but the 24" looked plenty big, but for $100 i could've just slung it in to my crane truck bed with the rest.  I don't even have to pick them up, but i was worried about the wife.  I was wondering about the table saw, do you think it would be something to add to my mill operation?  I was thinking anything it could do my woodmizer could do faster and safer.  I think its biggest value might be collectors.  I'm going to pick up today.  i'll post some pics soon.  The reality of the pics will show that there is a lot of work to be done, but the bearings all felt pretty good on all the pieces.  Fun, fun.  (I hope, hope!)
Kelvin

Percy

Kelvin...you done good ya!!
I could use a gas powered table saw. If you have an edger already, you could convert the table saw into a trimsaw,chop-the-good-stuff-outta-the-crap saw/whatever. When your lumber is trimmed square and to an accurate length...yaddayadda ;D. A guy I know here got a gas powered skilsaw at a garage sale..... 8).....some people are lucky, when I go garage sailin, all I find is toys and womens clothing...shazzbutt. :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

raycon

Wow...was it a boat builders stuff being auctioned off?
Lot of stuff..

beenthere

Kelvin
Have you considered running a converter ahead of your 3 phase lathe, rather than going for the 5hp single phase motor?  I have a big 3 ph wood lathe that I run off a converter, and all seems to work well. Just a thought for you.  Sounds like you have some new toys to play with. Good for you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Keltic

Now that sounds like an auction! Color me green! :)

Thank You Sponsors!