iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulp Mill Closing

Started by Rob30, June 23, 2017, 05:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob30

I just heard the local pulp mill in Espinosa is closing it's doors to pulp. The local big loggers are being told to stop cutting spruce and balsam.
What kind of effect has this had on the markets before?  It's not the first time it's has happened. Supposidly when they re open they want producers to peel and chip heir log.
I was going to cut some poplar veneer logs. The smaller stuff will go for firewood not pulp.I am afraid the big guys will floor the market.
Any one have some history on the market changes?

nativewolf

Some threads on this before.  Folks in Maine have been hit especially tough by mill closings.  Problem is this is a world wide issue, from Scandinavia to South Africa to Georgia to Ontario.   We just don't need/use as much paper.  Recycling reached a critical mass,  news print business collapsed, mail cut backs, etc, etc. 

It really destroyed the economics of forest land ownership I can tell you that, especially in areas close to shuttered mills.  In my view only the largest most successful mills are going to be around in 10 years.  Those mills will have good material sources, good water, and access to markets will be excellent.  If you don't have those 3 things...forget about it.

Liking Walnut

Rob30

So what are people doing in the areas with low or no pulp prices? Cut the spruce/balsam saw logs and leave the pulp in the bush to rot?
I can burn some of it in my outdoor boiler, but I don't know if I can use it all.

thecfarm

Newer machines can also produce more paper too at a faster rate. I suppose with less people too.
I would of never thought the paper mills would like like this 30 years ago.
Sappi in Skowhegan,ME is doing something right. Verso,in Jay,ME should be going there to see how to run a paper mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

deerguy

Hey Rob30,
In your first post, did you mean Espanola mill ? If you did, I'm an hour and a bit away from you in Sturgeon Falls. We heard the same story from local loggers that the mill was closed to certain species, but they were hoping it was a short term thing. Guess time will tell....Glad to see someone else from the area on the Forum, there is a wealth of information and some really knowledgeable fellas on here. If you need anything, give me a yell....

Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

Rob30

Yes sorry I guess I should checked my spelling before posting.
I will probably take you up on the offer for help at some point. I am new to the forestry business. I am cutting my 300 acres of mixed forest. I am hoping to cut some spruce,  balsam and venear poplay after hay season. Right now I only have access to one trucking company and he he tells me a price  for my wood.

Thank You Sponsors!