Previous topic - Next topic

goose63

N.A.D.A. its 15 below wind chill :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Grass Farmer

2 weeks ago I got around to milling some pignut hickory for a friend.  In total we got about 500bf in about 4 hours.  Used the WM Turbo 747 045 for the first time.  I was able to cut faster than with the Kasco 4° I used for the first two logs. 

They also seemed to stay sharper longer on my mill....until I raised the backstops up into the blade after the last cut  :'(.  My mill has the handle for the travel next to the handle to raise and backstops.  I wasn't thinking and went to pull the head back and raised the backstops up instead.  Before that I was honestly impressed with how fast I could cut that hickory.  I don't know if it will dry flat, but it came off the mill pretty flat.  

>

richhiway

Hope that tractor is something easy. Maybe it was an axle?
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

YellowHammer

Quote from: jb616 on November 12, 2019, 11:24:01 AM
"Man, I can't believe nobody added to this thread for nearly a week"  probably chasing deer!  the Rut is on! fudd-smiley
We have been sawing and selling here at Hobby Hardwood.  I milled about 4 thousand bdft of 4/4 walnut this week, among other stuff, trying to beat the cold that showed up today.

It was some pretty nice walnut, most was from veneer grade logs, with some decent boards. 

Here's the results of a few hours of sawing, a couple stacks of boards.

On Saturday, we had a pretty busy day, lots of customers on every rack.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brad_bb

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 12, 2019, 05:52:17 PM
On Saturday, we had a pretty busy day, lots of customers on every rack.

Now that looks like a destination if I'm in your neck of the woods on a Saturday.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mtoo747

Didn't saw today....with the rain and cold that we had, but i sawed a nice cherry log yesterday. Had to trim the crotch a little to fit my mill. Ended up 19" wide 7' long. 

Had some very nice figure!

Got five 2 1/2" slabs and a couple lesser ones.

I plan to make some coffee tables in the future.

Magicman

I pictured this Walnut "Log" back in September.  Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ??? in Sawmills and Milling

Well, it got delivered today.  Not enough to travel for but it still needed sawing.

Some short blocks.....

And some really short blocks.  Here I used my trailer and log loading ramps to keep it from falling through the sawmill bed and to stretch across the side supports.

The customer got a nice load of mostly 9/4 slabs.

One stick looked like this and this is not a crotch.  It was midway between limbs.  Crazy stuff looked like marble.

Anyway, I buttoned the sawmill up when I finished sawing until after my knee surgery recovery.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

MM, yup, you  never give up on Walnut.  Even if it looks rotten, there's still some good wood there.  You shouldn't necessarily throw away hollow logs either.  They make great table bases for glass top tables.  Google "hollow log table base" and click images.  Lots of ideas there like this one:

I have a cherry log that is similar only wider and more spectacular.  I even like the epoxy pours in a hollow log and then back lit by led's.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.  I'm sure I'll have to get mine done in a couple years.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Bruno of NH

That's some beautiful stuff  :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WV Sawmiller

Thought about posting in the cold weather thread but actually it warmed up a little above freezing this afternoon so I decided to go saw a log to get out a customer order for 4-8' long 4X4 posts. We discussed cutting them a little oversized since they are green so agreed on 4.5X4.5. We will see how much they actually shrink but they turned out well. Was the butt log. I sawed the side lumber up into 2X4, 4/4 and even trimmed out about a dozen 3/8" Lathe/project strips for making crates and such. It really sawed real nice which is the norm with tulip poplar.

Decent log, typical flare for butt log

4 nice posts and about 33 bf of side lumber including the 3/8"X 2" strips on the side. Not a lot of waste that way. A couple of trim pieces about 1/2" thick which are always handy for various projects around the place. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 15, 2019, 03:37:16 PM4 nice posts and about 33 bf of side lumber including the 3/8"X 2" strips on the side.

Just curious, what did you do with the pith?  Was it split between the 4x4s?  Wondering how the tulip poplar behaves.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

In this case I sawed my posts FOH and sawed the pith into 4/4 boards and a couple of 2X4s. I could probably have sawed a 4.5" cant out of the middle and centered the pith in one and got one on each side FOH but I'd still have had to gotten my 4th post out of the side so in this case I took off a board or two on each side till I got about a 10" face then set my Simple set to drop 4-5/8" and got my posts that way avoiding the pith. I left about a 4" pith that way and just sawed into stock - 2x4s and 4/4 boards.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

If they didn't turn into a banana coming off the mill they should be fine is my experience with Tulip.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

I've had a couple of good days sawing.  Yesterday was 2x6 and 2x8 white oak for dump truck sideboards. Today was Walnut and cherry.  Nothing special except three beautiful cherry logs. Some of the cherry was 10" wide 12' long with very little sapwood.  

In
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

richhiway

Cut some nice wide pine slabs. One of them will be for my wife. She needs a table for her Nascar autographed cars.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Darrel

Sawed a buggy blue pine log for a neighbor on Friday. And a hairy woodpecker came down to help. Wouldn't even get off the log when I rolled it. When the saw head got too close, he flew up and over the saw as it went by and landed on the back side. 

And as you can see, the blade took a dive because I hit a rock in spite of the fact that the bark was loose and just fell off the log. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WDH

Woodpeckers have to make a living too.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Thanks for the woodpecker post. I'd love to have seen him hopping over the blade as it was sawing. I guess he wanted to be a mill mascot or something. i was grinding deer on the front porch and a redbellied woodpecker lit 2 posts away from me and started singing. We have been having big piliated woodpeckers in the yard and on my logs and slab pile lately. 
Howard Green

terrifictimbersllc

Make sure you give him the slabs for free. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Stephen1

I have a couple of woodpeckers at my yard also, they really like the pine with the grubs
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Crossroads

Sorry, nothing to share off the sawmill. Still been working a lot of hours and getting work done on the apartment. The good news is that I have the apartment done enough to move in. The 5th wheel froze solid a couple weeks ago, so I had to push the issue and get moved in. I still have some sheet rock to hang, but we're insulated and warm 😁
Here's the latest progress video 
https://youtu.be/jjO4QGiJxp8
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

SawyerTed

White oak beams.  Lots of white oak beams.  The customer rides his tractor and there's only one helper.  But I quoted the job at an hourly rate.  It's his nickel....

This is part of the first whack.  We had already cut 5 logs.  There are three more whacks.  I'll be back for a couple more days.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!