iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

With all the sand, you would think they would have an operator that knew how the run the thing to keep some sand off the logs not push them in the sand. 
He would save $$$ if he had someone with a brain.
Not just the blades going junk, But the mill will have sand all over and getting in everything.
I tip my hat to you Magicman. 
A job I would never do.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

The only thing that kept me motivated was the hourly rate.  At the present time I have no idea what his future plans are except that he told me that he was looking for standing timber to buy.

He actually has his butt log in a jam with about 20 units sawed for and 50 more to go.  Yes, if/when he calls back, I am ready to go.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Just my guess the sand will come to haunt you later in/on the mill. All the sand on the mass pads to start. I hope not. I do wish you luck.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

I have given it a good hosing down each time it has come home and gave it a good work over today.  Also don't think that I will ever get all of the DanG sand out of my Dang truck.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Kind of like going to the beach, sand everywhere. :laugh:
A&P saw Mill LLC.

doc henderson

MM, I do not feel like you need my advice, but an idea popped into my head.   if he is having trouble sourcing trees/logs, can you source and saw them close to home and ship finished materials to site.  i guess it depends on if he is having success with local (near his project) sources.  i know you do not sell wood but might turn into a little more profit for you with less driving and for goodness sake's less sand.!!!   8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Doc, the reasons for not doing that are the reasons that I only do portable sawing.  Sourcing the logs and support equipment to handle both the logs and the timbers.  Arranging for and scheduling transportation of the timbers, and then slab/waste disposal.  Thanks but nope, I am content in my own little world.

SawyerTed

There's all kinds of advantages to being a mobile sawing operation! 

Waste disposal is a significant enigma of stationary sawing. At least for me right now.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

PAmizerman

Quote from: Crossroads on May 05, 2019, 03:58:48 PM
Typically I don't start making mental mistakes until about the 9 hour mark. As mentioned above with hydraulics, the off bearers get most of the "work load", but yesterday I was handling one end of the beams and the long side wood. My day job requires me to spend a lot of time on my feet and I had some boot problems Tuesday and Wednesday. I started rotating my boots a lunch and it helped, but the damage was done and I simply don't have time to wait for them to heal. I talk big about only running the mill and not pulling lumber, but it's just not in me to watch someone struggle and not help.....
Wouldn't rotating and wearing the left boot on the right side and the right boot on the left side make it worse :D
Sorry couldn't help myself smiley_lipsrsealed
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

tule peak timber

Quote from: Magicman on May 14, 2019, 07:25:21 PM
Doc, the reasons for not doing that are the reasons that I only do portable sawing.  Sourcing the logs and support equipment to handle both the logs and the timbers.  Arranging for and scheduling transportation of the timbers, and then slab/waste disposal.  Thanks but nope, I am content in my own little world.
So that's why I'm always broke...... :D
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

Quote from: SawyerTed on May 14, 2019, 07:53:57 PMThere's all kinds of advantages to being a mobile sawing operation!
I got a call today wanting sawing done that is 185 miles away.  I have tried to find and pass it to another sawyer but I'm drawing a blank.  At least it would be 50 miles closer than the "sand pit" job.

The sawing work is available, just gotta bite the bullet and answer the call.

Crossroads

Quote from: PAmizerman on May 14, 2019, 08:35:15 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on May 05, 2019, 03:58:48 PM
Typically I don't start making mental mistakes until about the 9 hour mark. As mentioned above with hydraulics, the off bearers get most of the "work load", but yesterday I was handling one end of the beams and the long side wood. My day job requires me to spend a lot of time on my feet and I had some boot problems Tuesday and Wednesday. I started rotating my boots a lunch and it helped, but the damage was done and I simply don't have time to wait for them to heal. I talk big about only running the mill and not pulling lumber, but it's just not in me to watch someone struggle and not help.....
Wouldn't rotating and wearing the left boot on the right side and the right boot on the left side make it worse :D
Sorry couldn't help myself smiley_lipsrsealed
At this point I'd be willing to try just about anything. Interestingly enough, I've never had trouble with my feet, but this flat concrete is getting the best of me....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

doc henderson

when I ran track coach Bowman joked he wanted us to order our cleats 2 sizes small, so we would run faster to get them off again.   8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

and I guess if you wind up with extra Left boots, you can turn one inside out and make a right one.   :D :D :D

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Crossroads on May 15, 2019, 02:32:50 PMAt this point I'd be willing to try just about anything. Interestingly enough, I've never had trouble with my feet, but this flat concrete is getting the best of me....

Maybe counter-intuitive, how about spreading a little sawdust on the concrete to give you a padded walk way?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crossroads

Quote from: ljohnsaw on May 15, 2019, 05:25:26 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on May 15, 2019, 02:32:50 PMAt this point I'd be willing to try just about anything. Interestingly enough, I've never had trouble with my feet, but this flat concrete is getting the best of me....

Maybe counter-intuitive, how about spreading a little sawdust on the concrete to give you a padded walk way?
Good idea, but the powers to be would never allow it. ☹️

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Are you gellin'??  If not, give it a try.  I never leave home without it.  ;D

Crossroads

I was using some fancy pants memory foam, but they came out about 2 weeks ago in search of a solution. I'll try some gel though. 

jb616

Just trying out a new belt on the mill. A 13' Cherry log that was 20" diameter. Mostly cut into 5/4 but took 2" slab with the pith. One of my favorite species to mill, as it smells great as it is being cut. 

Crossroads

Lawg Dawg

Past 2 weeks been sawing pine and doing a little woodworking..I'm sawing 3 to 4k bf a week and sending out a custom woodwork job every week too.  8)

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

tule peak timber

All right ...you are doing it. Cranking. Just one question , does the young man in the photo have a work permit ?? :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: tule peak timber on May 16, 2019, 09:49:03 PM
All right ...you are doing it. Cranking. Just one question , does the young man in the photo have a work permit ?? :)
Rob, you must be in California!  :D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

SawyerTed

Yesterday I started a barn framing job.  It has been a hustle to get it done.  The customer has a building crew coming Tuesday.  Still have 60 rafters to cut.

<
br>

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

I am off on a road trip tomorrow, 58 miles sawing mostly SYP.  I didn't get pictures and am a bit apprehensive about this one.  I won't be surprised if it is junk.  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!