iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carl Witte Log of Memory.  

Started by Jeff, October 10, 2003, 08:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I wanted this post by Ron Scott to have its own thread...

Log of Memory.

A fine person and respected forest landowner Carl Witte passed awayTuesday, October 7 on his private woodland.

Carl would have been 70 years of age next Friday, October 17th. His death was due to a heart attack while working on the property.

As we have been managing and working the Witte Woods many of my Forum photos in this thread and others capture a diversity of forest activities, ie sugar shack, maple syrup, red maple, sawmilling, animal inns, out door toilets, timber harvesting and equipment etc. from the Witte Woods.

Carl and his wife Quanita watched me mark his timber and watched us log every day. He was a strong advocate of sustainable forestry and the many uses of wood. He was a suberb woodworker and builder.

This butt log section of a large oak tree cut in front of the Witte Woods cabin did not make a sawlog product, but Carl  had an idea for it.

He asked us to leave the log in place near his cabin. He was going to turn it into a "play log" for his grand children when they visited The Woods.

Carl was a master caprenter and retired industrial arts teacher. I attended Carl's funeral today and his Woods was quite as he joined "The Greatest Carpenter of All".

We will finish Carl's timber harvest, but it won't be the same without him there. Every time we pass this log, we'll be thinking of him.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Ron, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I remember a lot of pics from the "Witte timber harvest."  I feel like I missed something by not knowing him.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I've been told that a person is only as famous as long as he is remembered.  Carl apparently has succeeded in leaving a good one. Its the impact one has on caring for his environment and family that makes the world a better place.  To leave a tree trunk to his grandchildren speaks well for his concerns.

Ron Scott

Kevin's reply,

That's too bad Ron, sorry to hear about that.
Maybe the grand kids could take a small piece of that bark and tuck it into the ground tight to his marker.
~Ron

Norm_Witte

Ron, I just wanted to thank you for the kind words you wrote about my father.  He loved working in the woods and wanted to leave them a better place than he found.  Over the past year he and I had many discussions about the manner in which trees were being harvested and he strongly felt that what you were doing was good, not only from a financial standpoint, but more importantly from a long-term health standpoint for his forest.  

My father was a kind and loving man, and I will miss him terribly.

Regards,

Norm Witte

Jeff

Norm,

Through Rons posts we learned that your Dad was a true steward of the land. I live in Harrison and I truly wish I would have been able to meet him before he left, but in its stead, I am grateful to have known of him. Our forests will be better places because of men like your dad and it is clear from your taking the time to come to this forum that his legacy has been passed and will continue to do so.

Thank you Norm.
Thank you Carl
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gus

Ron,
It is interesting how our work can touch our lives so deeply. Becomeing good friends with one of the men you bought timber from says alot about the character of both men involved. Sorry to hear that you lost a friend. Be assured that you knowing him in his last days has a significance only few understand.

Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Thank You Sponsors!