iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ribs

Started by caveman, October 14, 2015, 09:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

I have my work cut out for me.  Friday I will be cooking 261 slabs of ribs.  Yes, that is 29 cases.  Our FFA kids decided to do a fund raiser and pre-sell slabs.  They did a great job.   The ribs will all need to be distributed between noon and 6pm.  I had to borrow another grill.  It is the brother of my grill.  We cooked 200 pounds of leg quarters, beans, and ribs today for the FFA members.  If I have time I will take a picture on Friday.  The cherry wood is ready.  Thanks go out to the 130.5 hogs for their generous contribution.  All I have to do is not screw it up, have the slabs ready on time and have the borrowed grill back to another person who is using it by 3 pm.  What can go wrong?  Also, I have to keep them cold from tomorrow evening until Friday morning when they go on the grill.  I have my trailer loaded with coolers and have made room in both of the refrigerators in my shop.
Caveman
Caveman

sandhills

WOW!  You most certainly do have your work cut out for you!  Can't wait for the pictures, that's a lot of ribs, hope they turn out great.

Magicman

You had better start EARLY to have them "bone slipping" by noon.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Can I get some delivered to Largo? digin_2 digin1 musteat_1
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

drobertson

sounds like a feed lot about to get loaded up,, hope all goes well for you, sure it will,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one, that's a LOT of prep and cooking.  As Magicman stated start early, I've helped a few friends different times at our local rib fest/contest and they don't get judged until 6 pm.  We can't start the smokers or get the ribs before 8 am but generally use every minute in between, if it were me I'd get those kids gloved, gowned, and ready to prep slabs by 2 am if they have to be done by 12.  I bet this is going to be a lot of fun though, I really like that sort of stuff and it will be an education for your chapter, can't wait to see the results!

WDH

Kyle,

You are a brave man  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Update:  We lit the cookers at 6 a.m.  The first slabs went on the bottom rack of Global Warming, then the bottom rack of Global Warming II was loaded, then the top rack of GW and finally the top rack of GWII was loaded around 740ish.  At that point, we had 126 slabs in the smoke.  We did this once more.  GW was cleaned and returned since it is seeing duty again tonight cooking butts and GWII was given a partial load.  All told, we cooked, wrapped and distributed 288 slabs of ribs today (I sent a student to the meat market around noon to pick up another case since we had more demand than supply). I wish I would have gotten better pictures but there was not much time for such frivolous things.  At one time, I was unloading the grills and had five people double wrapping ribs and stuffing in coolers.  We had seven coolers, ranging from 90 to 140 quarts stuffed with wrapped slabs.

Following the event, the FFA members had their annual "Fear Factor" night and supper in the school's barn.  It seemed like everyone had a good time.  About 845 I finally walked in the house after helping my youngest daughter take care of her show hogs.

Caveman

sandhills

Nice work!  And some serious smokers I might add ;).  Hope you all had a great time.

thecfarm

I bet you and the others was busy. Looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

What He said, I thought the same, lots of work for sure,, I bet the area was smelling good!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

caveman

I did not notice how good the area smelled until I returned from taking back the borrowed grill (15 minutes).  The smell of cherry burning is sweet.  The FFA chapter profited somewhere around $2800 from the rib sale after all of the expenses were paid.  We will also be able to feed the kids several meals with the trimmings from the ribs.

A good time was had by a lot of students.  Several of the ag mechanics kids were inquiring about the grill and showed interest in helping to build one.  There are three or four that we need to build when we get time.  This will give them some experience cutting, bending, prepping and welding steel.  Most of the ones we need to build will be much smaller and not on trailers.
Caveman

Mooseherder

Cavemen know how to cook. :)

WDH

Kyle,

You are doing a good thing.  You are an inspiration to your students.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Thank you for the kind words.  Next Saturday we will begin our trek to Louisville for the forestry contest. Hopefully the team will be well prepared.  We may have an opportunity to spend some of the funds raised on the trip (no bucks, no Buck Rogers).
Caveman
Caveman

WDH

I went to Nationals at Louisville in 2002.  My daughter won first in Forestry proficiency.  I was so proud of her.  Took her to Ruth Chris Steakhouse for dinner. 

caveman

We will have a finalist there this year for a specialty animal proficiency.  She works for folks raising albino and regular kangaroos, forest wallabies and kookaburras. 

We have had finalists before but have never had any of our students win a proficiency.  That is quite an accomplishment for you daughter to be selected as the national winner in her category. Only four from each category even reach the national level.

On another note, some of the rib trimmings that would not fit in my freezer received the treatment today.

My dog and I both got our fill tonight.  He got to eat the scraps.  We will be eating on these for a few days.
Caveman
Caveman

WDH

Whoa!  Those looks so good. 

Chuck White

Now that's some serious ribs!

Headin' for the kitchen!!!!!!!!!   smiley_horserider
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

kwendt

Caveman, that is just boss! Tonight, while trying to diet I might add, I decided to peruse the food section of FF. Not the most brill of my ideas... Now I'm even more hungry!
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

caveman

We cooked some ribs this morning.  I had 243 slabs all off of the grills by noon today.  We were using two grills and had to load them twice.  We should have cooked more-we could have sold them.  Some of our FFA members are going to Europe this summer and a few of them were a little short on money so my teaching partner and I decided that if they (the students) would sell the ribs that we would take care of preparing them.  Our students helped apply the seasoning and wrapped each slab in foil as I pulled them off of the grills.  The weather was nice.  We trim the ribs before cooking them and used some of that to feed the students who helped out today.

The pictures were taken a little while before the ribs were removed from the grills (Global Warming II and Global Warming).
Caveman

Caveman

WDH

MMMMMMMMMMmmmmm.

Chuck White

They sure look good!

With a little imagination, I think we could taste them.   digin_2
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

that is a real nice grill you got there and the ribs they speak for them self  food1 food6 food6 food6 food6

caveman

Thank you Coxy.  These grills are not fancy but they do get the job done efficiently.
Caveman

drobertson

All I know is I have a serious gum bumping spasm going on now,, so thanks,,HAA HAA :D  I reckon another rack is due to one of those treatments this day,, nice work you have going on for those young students,  lots of memories to be made by these guys,, and that smoke won't hurt refreshing their memories either,,

sandhills

You make me want to go back to highschool and be in your class  :D.  You have some very lucky students!

sawguy21

That is one serious grill, I like it. I just might have to grill some ribs for dinner, those sure look good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

caveman

I went in to work a little earlier than usual this morning.  I arrived at 5:15 am, usually I get there around 6.  I loaded and unloaded 306 slabs of ribs today.  The students sold them to help pay for a trip for the four students who will be competing in the national FFA Veterinary Science CDE next month.  No pictures... my phone will not tolerate any more until I delete some.  We have had positive feedback and  the best guess is that the FFA chapter profited $3400 today.  We used my big grill, Global Warming II and a good friend's, Global warming.  It took three rotations on mine and two on his to get them all done.  We had good help wrapping them and distributing them.  I had the easy job- trim, put them on and take them off.
Caveman

thecfarm

You are a Good Man caveman.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caveman

Ray, I was just good and tired last night.  

In about two weeks we will grill some of the trimmings and brisket bones for all of the students who have joined FFA as an incentive to do so before we have to submit our chapter's roster to the state association.
Caveman

SawyerTed

It is awesome you are giving your students these opportunities to lead, manage, and participate in these projects.  You have my respect because we both know you don't get extra pay for the extra hours.  It is just what great advisors do for our student organizations and for our students.  It is a selfless endeavor - I've been there.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WDH

Kyle has had a HUGE impact on many student lives.  He is a true Hero in my book. 

caveman

Thank you men.  I am not a hero or a great man (mediocre at best) but I do enjoy seeing young people reach their potential.  On several occasions I have told folks, "no bucks, no Buck Rogers".  We will figure out how to pay for opportunities for deserving students.  A few years ago, while at the other school (in a much lower socio-economic part of the county) we spent over $62,000 dollars on FFA members from our FFA alumni account.  We did a lot of fund raising that year  to pay for trips, awards, scholarships, etc.

We had a good time cooking.  Alumni members showed up to help wrap the slabs.  Students counted, bagged and delivered them.  Days like those are some of the most memorable for the students.   
Caveman

caveman

It is that time of the year again.  This year we are raising money to help the ag mechanics team from Florida pay for their trip to the National FFA Convention/contest next month.  The students pre-sold even more ribs than last year.  We trimmed somewhere around 350 slabs this morning.  The students were packing the trimmed ribs back into the bags to) were put into others. 

The riblets are what we feed the students as incentives to join FFA or pass industry certification tests.Tomorrow morning, they will be loaded on Global Warming and GWII.  If I am going to keep cooking ribs on my big grill, I need to add more racks.  Without packing them too tight, I can only get about 74 slabs on it at once.  With another rack or two we could probably get over 100.  

The pallet was loaded into my truck at the meat market.  The precariously leaning stack would not have made one more speed bump without dumping.  

Caveman

WDH

Some lucky motorist was one speed bump away from a whack of rib dinners :D. 

caveman

We have all 350 slabs off of the grills and folks have been picking them up since around 11 this morning.  
Caveman

CCCLLC

I believe I can smell it from here. That has got to be a popular hangout today. Riblets, MMM!

caveman

I only took one picture today.  We were pretty busy.  A few of the folks did not come by to pick up their slabs so my two younger daughters and I ate a slab and a half for supper.

Caveman

WDH

That is the price of being the chef.

caveman

I have not done ribs in about a year and a half. I hope I remember how to not mess them up. These will come off in in about 1.5 hours. 

Caveman

sawguy21

DanG! I won't make it for dinner. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WDH

caveman

They are gone and weren't too bad.  I gave a few slabs away to some of the tree services that provide us with logs from time to time.  We often refer customers to them but hopefully a little pork will keep good logs coming our way.

I ate ribs for lunch several days the following week and we had the remaining two slabs for Sunday supper the next weekend.  They were accompanied with fresh blackeyes, squash casserole, cornbread, baked apples and Bluebell ice cream.  
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!