iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

diesel lombard tractor

Started by loggah, November 01, 2014, 08:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

I hope you don't mind, I've been using your picture of the Hauler as my Facebook background picture for quite a while! I finally switched it out recently.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

loggah

You know i dont mind ,you being a native "MAINER" and all. I just hope we can turn up more of Ray Vigues manuscript !!!! :D :D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Okrafarmer

Quote from: loggah on August 07, 2016, 07:56:50 PM
You know i dont mind ,you being a native "MAINER" and all. I just hope we can turn up more of Ray Vigues manuscript !!!! :D :D

I know.
Friday I found three old sheaves of truck technical data he gave me, but I don't think it was anything he wrote himself. It was called "Truck Talk" and was a lot of mimeographed technical data--seems like things like frame stress calculations, etc. I don't have it in front of me at the moment.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

dgdrls

Ah, Joey Barnes Linn Logger,and  a Linn c-5 Cattruck !!!! Not sure of the Cattruck owner ,but i know Rene  Elliott used to have one for sale !!!!
Harry.H.Linn used to  have a traveling dog show and traveled around New England in the early 1900's He lived in Maine and had heard about lombards steam haulers and he was looking for a better method to pull his trailers around the state on Maines dirt roads in all types of weather. Lombard built 2 vehicles for Linn,one a traveling house trailer, dual wheels in the front and tracks in the rear ,and a single track machine with two wheels in front and a single wide track in the rear. That machine also had a portable generator built in to power the lighting for Linns show. Linn was very happy with the machines as they worked well,so he became lombards first traveling salesman.
Linn worked for lombard for quite a few years, and later he decided to move to Morris New York and manufacture his own machines,he started making them in his factory in 1916 in Morris. The Linn machines had a few modifications that actually made them a better machine for contractor purposes. they had a 4 speed transmission with reverser so they had 4 gears in reverse,they had final drives off the differential so they had more ground clearance,also dual sprockets to drive the tracks better. Lombard actually took Linn to court over patent infringment !!!!! because linn was claiming he invented the crawler tread, that soon got dropped when Linn took back his claim. Linn actually made around 2500 trucks and tractors total ,compared to lombards couple hundred . I could go into a lot more detail but my 1 typing finger is getting a cramp !!!!! ;D Heres a picture of my Linn truck ,i will be getting a cab rebuilt this coming summer ,i think !!

I recalled this thread when I found these photos.  The top photo is a Linn tractor on a hydro site along the Beaver River in NY.  The lower photo i'm guessing is the same area, Croghan/Lowville area

D

loggah

I think i have a Linn brochure with a picture of the Linn moving that huge transformer, they had to pile a lot of ballast on the Linn to get enough traction. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

dgdrls

Loggah,

You have to find that and post it!!

D

loggah

I will take a look tomorrow,it somewhere in my Linn archives. Don

loggah

Heres a couple pitcures of the linn brochure, the transformer is not the same one ,because the linn is hauling transformers for weight for traction.

dgdrls

Loggah,

Thank you for posting that,

I did a quick Google search and found this which I believe is the source
of that photo,

UG&E developed Hydro Power in the Mohawk Valley region of NY.

D

loggah

Yup, you done good !! ;D The Linns were pretty awesome machines, They would get it done. Don

Bruno of NH

Do you have pictures with a snow plow on one ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

maple flats

I saw one of those sitting roadside in the Catskills a few years ago. I bet they did well in off road work. Did they mount ski's on the front for deep snow?
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

loggah

Yup ,they could use both wheels ,or a front ski steering sled. There is a Linn log hauler with skis restored at Blue mtn.lake museum in the Adirondacs. Don

dgdrls

The link below splits this thread,  I started a new one for Linn Tractors in an effort
not to hi-jack Loggah's efforts here with his Lombard.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,99385.0.html

D

woodmaker

loggah,being a newbie,I hadn't seen your thread.That is an amazing machine:I have seen pictures and museum displays of linn and lombards,but never one actually moving. My grandfather worked on a survey crew in the Whites in the 30's ,and had told me stories of the amount of wood they could pull.
How does a lombard steer?  Is it only with the skis,or is there some sort of differertial in the rear;if so ,are there clutches like a dozer?
thanks for a great story.
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

loggah

There is a big worm drive differential with spider gears,it only steers with the front skis or wheels. That is why it is called an "AUTO-TYPE" tractor, basically anyone who could drive a truck could drive a lombard. Don

moodnacreek

Loggah, do you  have a water powdered sawmill and a yoke of oxen ?  Just kidding, happy new year, keep up the  good work.

loggah

I have a big set of bevel gears from a water powered gristmill ! ;D ;D no oxen,to high maintainencw. Happy new year !!! Don

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

loggah

Those guys at the Bradley Museum worked pretty hard to get the steamer going,including a whole new boiler assembly made in Canada. I see Terry Harper and Paul Bretton playing engineer and Herb Crosby filming and narrating . They can all be proud of their work.

sprucebunny

I got to see the Lombard up close and personal and finally meet 'loggah'. Sorry no pic of us but I'm excited to have seen the Lombard move !

Fascinating machine.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

loggah

Joan, Glad you made it down to see the old iron,or old aluminum! My brother Ray came over to me and said"She knows a lot more about these bombardiers then i do "!! I said "YUP"  ;D  Some year we will have  frozen snow . Don

sprucebunny

Thanks, Don ! Great to meet you and Ray and the other nice folks there.
And it was fun talking with a couple that want to buy a snowcat and were looking at the different brands.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!