iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HolmenTree bikesaw projects.

Started by HolmenTree, April 15, 2020, 12:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

A little update fellas.
We have winter full on here in northern Manitoba.  I'm looking at 6 months from now until spring. 
I have the heat turned up in the saw shed with lots of projects on the work bench. 
The YZ125 hotsaw is in storage until spring May long weekend for the competition at Kaslo, B.C.
My 30 year old son will be running it and I'll have the CR250 to run myself.

The Honda CR500 engine showed up on my doorstep this week from one of the top CR500 builders in the world.
He did a great job modifying the cylinder and head to make it a very manageable high horsepower engine.
Now to get it and the CR250 assembled. 
A new carb and cone pipe will be on order for the CR500 later this winter when I get it up and ready.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Guydreads

I assume 500cc? That is going to be a beast

HolmenTree

Approximately 514cc as it's on its last oversize piston.
My engine builder has built these engines with extreme modifications putting  out over 100h.p.
But we're definitely not going that route  :D

Real1shepherd

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 09, 2022, 11:43:41 PM
OGHorn, a backcut step is a backcut higher then the Humboldt face cut notch by about 2-4 inches.
The step helps keep the butt from kicking back when the tree hits the ground. Alot of forestry operations require their fallers to do that procedure for safety.
There's also a stake to hit for points too along with being timed.

JR yes I had to compete against much larger engine displacement saws.
I waited 38 years to enter their 140cc  hotsaw event with my 125cc saw only to be late by one year when they changed it to open unlimited displacement. I've been posting about projects and  my plans to enter my saw at Squamish BC for several years now on several forums and no one said a thing to me about the change.
We called that 2-4" section 'stump shot', in the woods. Most every vid I've seen on YouTube by 'pros' ignores this important safety technique.

Kevin

HolmenTree

I never used a step when felling cut and skid flat ground logging, smoother skidding for my skidder operator and nothing to cut off the butt to keep the mill happy.

Topping trees I always used a Humboldt 

HolmenTree

Hello fellas, I've been away for a bit. Life is being good to me, I hope everyone else here is the same. 
I got my Honda CR250 hotsaw finished up a few months ago. Have been busy with tuning and practicing cutting with it.
At the moment trying out a Oregon 59L .404 chisel sawchain. Interesting chain as my picture shows it takes a small 5/32" round file. I remember years ago a member here lumberjack49 talked about filing his logging chain with a 5/32" file.

teakwood

Hi Willard, enjoying retirement? i'm happy for you.

better hook with a small file? grabbier? faster? 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on September 21, 2023, 07:52:47 AM
Hi Willard, enjoying retirement? i'm happy for you.

better hook with a small file? grabbier? faster?
Good to talk to you again teakwood. Yes retirement is easy to get used to. ;D
I made 3 cuts with the new 59l .404 chain in a 18" spruce this evening and then switched over to the .080 19HX chamfer chisel harvester chain and harvester bar.  The Honda has so much h.p. it's crazy fast. I can't tell the difference in both chains.
Next time I'll get a time keeper to record times with me running my 066 with the 59L with 5/32" filing and some older .404 with a 7/32" file job.
Actually the loop of 59L fresh off the roll has a nice factory grind in it.

HolmenTree

Happy Thanksgiving to all fellow Canadians.
I'm taking the Honda out for a run today before the snow comes.
I built a new receiver hitch mount log holding vise for cutting out in the bush so as not to bother the neighbors. :D

Thank You Sponsors!