iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Not as hot today and actually we were stopped at 3:00 this afternoon by a "pop up" storm.

I didn't scale today's sawing but it probably was ~700 bf plus 15 live edged 9/4 X 12' to 16'  ranging from 12" to 25" wide.  One shown here by my tailgunner on the left and customer on the right.

I left this bad boy on the sawmill for tomorrow morning.  I will also finish that job tomorrow.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

That is going to make it hard to steal the mill too. I like to leave a cant or log on the mill when I leave it on site overnight. This also answers my earlier question if you left the mill overnight. 

I did not saw today but I did go pick up a walnut section today and have it on the mill to saw tomorrow. It was just long enough to fit across the center set of rails. I may try fudging a little to get the piece over a little to get the widest possible slabs off it. It is just over 30" long and about 25"-26" SED with some flare on the the other end.

This piece was stacked by a loader on the stump of a bigger tree. I was able to back right up to it and walk it right off into my truck then strap it down to keep it from rolling out in front of a new Jaguar.

Sasquatch driving baby John with the piece. Was hard to load as could only get one fork under as too short. Once I got the weight in the bucket we were golden.

On the mill and with a little help from the movable clamp I was able to get the log across both rails. I have a 3X6 ash piece beside the side supports to keep the piece from fall off the operator side. 

Hopefully I will get this sawed tomorrow. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Yup, I took that picture after it was loaded but actually I had opened two faces before the rain came and we stopped.  The sawmill is ¾ mile from the road with a herd of ~50 cows watching it.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

alanh

I cut a small order for some 4x4 and 6x6 pine posts, a light enough load where I dont feel bad having a little fun and using the 57 to deliver them.

Stephen1

Quote from: Bruno of NH on September 17, 2019, 01:47:36 PM
MM
I have had that right from the beginning .
Turbo 7
I have been asking about it
Faster Faster , start running after that mill or get a seat. I find i have to saw faster than I think. Try it, speed up and slow down as your sawing in the log and see what the difference is when you flip the board over. Also mainly in pine. 
my understanding is the sawdust is rolling over or under the blade. I had it really bad on the 10's and normal 7's. turbo 7"s are better and 7 Carbides are the best. I just find the expense of running the carbides to much for all the urban logs I saw. Some of my regulars customers, furniture builders, will pay the extra for the Carbides. I can saw almost all day on 1 blade, saves them money of blade changing. I charge by the hour.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

goose63

I'm gonna need help

20 Ft long 26 inch wide I thought 16 feet was long enough I will call woodland monday and order more track and get some new Kasco 7s 

And the flying pick up was back today

Those old dug fer timbers saw hard
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WV Sawmiller

I got out and sawed on my walnut section for about an hour plus the extra time I spent turning and bracing it and finally gave it up after hitting the obligatory 20 penny nails someone used to tack up a yard sale sign years ago. I think I got 6 mediocre 8/4 LE slabs about 30" long and 22" wide for a whopping 55 bf. I stopped and was going to go saw some stock maple after lunch but got a call to go get my mower out of the shop so I just put everything up and did a little cleanup around the barn before tomorrow's lumber customer comes over. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

I put this log on the mill right before quitting time.
Made 2 cuts
It's a big white pine but 46" 7'long.
I have had it 2 years
It will take some trimming.
I will post more pictures tomorrow.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Banjo picker

@WV Sawmiller the person that put the yard sale sign up must have not known that it takes at least 4 or maybe 6 nails to hold up a sign.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

I finished sawing my latest road trip yesterday. 4370 bf in three day so it was a good job.

An overloaded trailer with mostly 16' 1X6 White Oak with 8' 1X8 & 10 Cherry on top.

SYP framing lumber.

More 9/4 two live edge White Oak.

And example of some of the amazing White Oak slabs.  Bookmatched 18"X 6' slabs full of Carpenter Ants.  thumbs-up

doc henderson

those ants really know how to dress up a board.  will add interest as is, or filled with epoxy.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Brad_bb

WV sawmiller, that would just make me more determined to finish it!  Find each nail and pull it.  Don't let it bead you!

Goose 63, I like your trailer.  3 axles should handle just about anything.  How long is the trailer?  I'm jealous.  I hope to get a new trailer next year to haul a skid steer and I want to then put an arch on it.  I've missed out on a number of logs I wanted because I couldn't haul them.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

goose63

Brad the trailer is 16 feet the FF tool box says that log on there is close to 4 ton that arch did a great job loading the log
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Bruno of NH

The big but log I posted about putting on the mill last night
46" on the but
Some live edge and 31" wide 2" thick planks 
I have had this log for 2 years still solid as a rock
When the logs sit the white pine ages and the grain pops

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

Brad,

You did not see the rest of the checks and season cracks in the piece which helped with my decision. I may keep it around for dunnage. :D

I did not saw any today but I did sell a couple hundred dollars worth of assorted lumber (Mostly spruce 8' X 4/4 ) to a guy who just drove past and saw my mill in the lot in front of my house and left a note on my fence as we were gone. He sounds like he may be back. That is the first time I know having the mill on display got me a sale although I know it is good practice. I need to park it there closer to the road and post a sign on it "Sawing and Lumber for Sale."
Howard Green

Jim_Rogers

Today's challenge was to load and saw this 31" diameter by 6' long eastern white pine butt log.

I used my cable to pull it up to the mill log loader.

on the way I had to pull out the exposed hardware:

Once loaded I found some more:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ohio_Bill

Been sawing a order for the US Army Corps of Engineers   12 by 12' s   Oak and Hickory . They showed up yesterday for the first load and I have a bad case of Truck Envy. 

br>

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

donbj

"I have a bad case of Truck Envy. "

I have a case of log envy to get them 12x12's
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Darrel

Tan bark oak. 263 board feet. 4/4 random width mostly live edge. 10'-12' long. This is beautiful wood. Looks very much like red oak. I had a very happy customer too. He gave me a nice tip too. 

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

Yesterday I sawed a small whack of ERC. 

He discarded ~6-8 of the smallest which will become fence posts.

The shadow was strong but this is 1632bf that I sawed.  Some very nice stuff that will become board and batten siding for a building.  I was back at home by 3:00.  ;D

Jim_Rogers

Today's challenge is to trim all the branch numbs off this snake log and get it onto the mill and make some 1x12s. Such fun.

This is the customer's last log, and then his custom sawing job will be done.
Moving on.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

curved-wood

Hé Jim, the first knotty pine log would make nice live edge, providing extra sharp blades

alanh

A repeat customer brought me two 6x12x 7ft beams that he took out of his 200 year old home to cut into 1x12`s. I`m guessing they are some kind of pine but the one with the crazy grain was "interesting" to cut. The buildup on the blade happened almost instantly even with my water/purple degreaser on heavy. I cut the first one no problem but couldn`t get thru the second cut on this one, the blade dove. I backed out to make a slower run and the blade almost immediately rose. I put one a new 4 degree and got thru the last cuts but noticed blade starting to wander on the last one. 

Southside

Southern Yellow heart pine.  What did they smell like? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!