iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 208D grapple skidder (w/pics, and now it runs!)

Started by Dave Shepard, October 18, 2007, 10:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

The Forestry Forum CRASH OF 2007 ARCHIVES
General Forestry => Forestry and Logging => Topic started by: Dave Shepard on October 15, 2007, 18:15:16

Title: Timberjack 208D grapple skidder questions.
Post by: Dave Shepard on October 15, 2007, 18:15:16
It would appear that I have been roped into a TJ 208D project. How did I get roped in, you ask? Well, I'm self-roping, of course! ;) :D It needs a few things, but appears to be in decent shape. The rear hubs have been taken off to get rebuilt, still waiting to find out if they are going to reappear.

#1 This machine does not have a winch on it, but does have a hyd. valve marked "winch". There is a driveshaft yoke on the transfer case that appears to go to a hyd. pump. Would this machine have had a hyd. winch?

#2 Would this machine have had a torque converter, or is it a straight manual transmission with just a clutch?

#3 As this is not a powershift machine, does it use some sort of a reverser, or "Johnson" bar as some have called it?

If anyone has any input on this machine, I would appreciate it. I have done a bunch of hunting around on the internet, but have not been able to find any info other than machines for sale. I will probably be looking for service/repair manuals as well. Thanks.

Dave

Title: Re: Timberjack 208D grapple skidder questions.
Post by: Dave Shepard on October 16, 2007, 00:45:50
#4 This machine has chains only on the front. Is there a reason for this? I have seen many skidders that are only chained up on front. Thanks.

Dave

Post by: amberwood on October 16, 2007, 03:03:10
Dave.

All manuals etc are avail from the John Deere site..I managed a copy for my 67' 205HR. PDF download in a few minutes.

www.jdtechinfo.com

DTR

Post by: a old timberjack on October 16, 2007, 04:22:16
i ran a 208 for 2 seasons for a guy , nice machine it sounds like it has a manual transmission. if you are not sure just look on the floor , 2 pedals or 1 beside the throttle . i own a 225 c model, it is a early 70,s machine.

Post by: thecfarm on October 16, 2007, 06:25:45
I would want something with a winch too.How much will one cost to add on to this one?It would be a shame to cut down a 4 inch red oak to get to a 2 foot pine.That's about all I know.

Post by: Dave Shepard on October 16, 2007, 09:23:27
Thanks everyone. It has two pedals on the floor. They both move together, but I am guessing they are just riding on the same shaft and need some lube. I definately want to rig up a winch, I might have to use the Farmi to get the logs to the skid road, and then use the TJ to get them out of the woods. A bit of a pain, but I want to do as little damage as possible. I'll get some pics when I get it home.

Dave

Post by: Dave Shepard on October 16, 2007, 21:23:41
I tried to locate Timberjack info at that site, but couldn't get to cooperate, what steps did you take Amberwood? Thanks.

Dave

Post by: sawyer40 on October 17, 2007, 00:38:33
Wow a 208 grapple skidder I didn't think they put grapples on anything smaller than a 240. My 230 is direct drive from the trans it had some kind of reverser but that was long gone before I got it. So I have to shift between forward and reverse manualy using the cluch. Also I have a drive shaft off a pto on the side of the transfer case that powers the winch and a hydraulic control that works the winch and locks the brake on. As far as I know the only hydraulic pump on that machine is up front off the crankshaft. Does your 208 have a 353 detroit?

Post by: Dave Shepard on October 17, 2007, 00:49:42
Yes, it is a 3-53. I spent a few minutes this afternoon poking around on it. It has a four speed transmission, which is a New Process. There is a lever that goes either into the front of the transmission, or ahead of it, don't know what that is for. Also there is a lever that goes back to the transfer case, I think that might be the reverser. There is a short driveline going to a pump at the very back of the machine, but it is not plumbed to anything. ??? The entire winch works has been torched out, so I have no idea what was there. I am going to see if I can find one in a junk yard and cut it off and weld it onto this machine, the grapple will be nice, I am sure, but I would really have liked to have had a winch. If I can't find anything in a junkyard, I will have to rig something back there. I'm looking forward to getting it home so I can start tinkering, but we still have to find the rest of the rearend. Not only are the planetaries missing, but the pumpkin is gone too. This is not my responsibility, however, as the machine is to be in operating condition, per our agreement. Apparently the parts were removed to be rebuilt, still hunting them down. I am amazed at the condition of the machine, all of the tinwork is straight, and it isn't a huge mess of weld repairs, although there are a couple of small things that need fixin'. ;D

Dave

Post by: sawyer40 on October 17, 2007, 06:52:08
The lever going to the transfer case on mine is a hi and low gear. With that each gear in the trans will have a high and low

Post by: sawyer40 on October 17, 2007, 06:58:10
From what I've seen the 208 -225-230 tj are all pretty much the same with slight differances. I've seen one 208 and it looked exactly the same as my 230 except mine has 34"rubber I couldn't see any other differances on that machine.

Post by: amberwood on October 17, 2007, 08:46:16
Dave..

JD Manuals

just need to register as a user, then change the option to download, add a visa card etc and you have manuals. Mine are a scanned copy of an original printed  TJ manual, complete with a couple of annotations from a previous owner!

DTR

Post by: Dave Shepard on October 17, 2007, 17:11:09
Thanks amberwood. I guess that means that the machine is at least a 79 or older. I wonder if a regular JD dealer (not forestry) can order from the bookstore, the friend I am getting the skidder from owns five dealerships. ;)

Dave

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Sawyerfortyish

Dave I'm guessing that 208 is from the sixties :o

Dave Shepard

Did TJ offer a grapple and winch in the 60's? I was told that the machine was an '83, but that doesn't agree with the JD tech info. It has been very hard to find any info on skidders online other than who has parts and machines for sale. :(

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Sawyerfortyish

I get all my parts from Lyons Equipment they are the closest TJ dealer. When John Deere took over they switched to tiger cat but still sell after market TJ parts and still have all the books for the old machines and can get any part needed. If you give them a call and the serial #of your 208 they can tell you anything you want to know about it. Lyons equipment has many locations in Ny-PA-Oh and west VA

Dave Shepard

Went poking around the skidder again today, the tag says it is a 208-GS, I don't know why it was marked 208D, unless the D is just that particular generation of that model. We've got a good lead on the guy who has the rest of the rearend parts. 8)

Dave

Sawyerfortyish

Hope you find em rears ain't cheap neither are planetaries

Dave Shepard

I've run into a problem with this thing. I can't get it to turn over. I put two new batteries in it, cleaned all the connections and all it will do is clunk when I push the starter. I know it is moving a little, but it won't turn over. I have enough juice at the starter to weld with. I am thinking that the starter got burned out in a past attempt to start it. >:( It sure sounds like the solenoid is working, and sending the gear into the flywheel pretty hard. Please don't tell me I have to remove the starter, unless it is only held in by the one bolt I can see. If there are two bolts ( which I am sure there are  ::) ) I may have to remove the engine or burrow in from under transmission to get to it. :o

Dave

PineNut

I don't know anything about this piece of equipment. However when checking the connections, measure the voltage from the terminal stud (NOT the connector on the end of the wire) to the ground on the starter. This voltage must be measured while attempting to operate the starter. If you can get access to the connection between the solenoid and the starter, measure the voltage there while attempting to operate the starter. It is possible for the solenoid to operate and engage the starter but not make electrical connection to the starter. (I have had this to happen to some of my equipment.) Voltage measurements on a starter circuit have little meaning unless made under load.

Dave Shepard

" It is possible for the solenoid to operate and engage the starter but not make electrical connection to the starter."

That is a good point, I broke the housing on the solenoid trying to tighten the battery cable, so I have to replace it. I know I have a ton of amperage at the solenoid due to a couple of arcing incidents that left a wrench lightly welded to the oil filter housing. ::) ::) What can I say, it was a long, cold, wet, muddy, greasy, afternoon.  :-X :-X Thanks.

Dave

PineNut

Good luck. Those starter problems seem to messy ones.

a old timberjack

dave, i mite be going in the wrong direction, i have a mid 70's 225c and mine is positive ground, i am no electrical person but ????????
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Sawyerfortyish

Dave my TJ is a 74 with negative ground. Are you sure it's the starter  :-\. Now heres something else to worry about. If I leave my TJ outside without covering the duel exaust pipes rain will enter and fill a cylinder with water :o Put a socket wrench on the crankshaft pully nut and see if that engine will turn over. It might be stiff from setting or worse if water entered. I hope it's your starter.

Dave Shepard

I hooked the new batteries up the same as the old, negative ground, 12 volts. I can put a bar in the u-joint on the hydraulic pump driveshaft and the motor turns freely. Right now I suspect the solenoid. I have one here that should fit. Might get a chance tomorrow. Thanks

Dave

Dave Shepard

Well, tried another solenoid today. It came off of our 806. My father said that it was only put on to rule out the solenoid, and that it was taken right off as the starter was taken out to get rebuilt. ::) I've heard that one before. Solenoid engages starter gear, but I get no voltage going from it to the starter motor when it is engaged. Will get a new solenoid and see if that helps. Tip for the day: when you drop the little tiny nut for the solenoid, and spend ten minutes poking through the tall grass to find it, don't put it in a pocket that has a hole in it. ::) ::) :(

Dave

Dave Shepard

Got a chance to get a couple of pictures of the skidder today.

This next picture is of the rear section. The driveline u-joint on the left comes from the transfer case, the one on the right goes to a hydraulic pump. It is not a factory looking setup. I am guessing that the winch would have been driven from the u-joint on the left, but I am not sure.

Dave

stonebroke

Dave Shepard

Finally making some progress on getting the skidder running. I took the solenoid apart and found one of the posts was eaten away on the inside, luckily they can be turned around. It still clicks, but it will try to turn a little, but things get hot fast. I decided to pull the battery cables out, and found a master switch down underneath the panels. The connections were totally shot. So, it's off to get new cables, and a better solenoid. Unfortunately, if I am going to get new cables, I am going to switch to stud batteries, so I will have to get a couple of new batteries too.

Dave

ibseeker

Dave, I admire your perserverance and determination......stick with itness. Checking the voltage drop and resistance across connections is another simple way troubleshoot. Good luck.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Dave Shepard

Some people have told me that Timberjack never made a 208 grapple skidder. Has anyone else ever seen one? It may be a hybrid of some sort. It was originally used to pull power poles in to build high voltage lines.

Dave

Ed_K

Could be a hybrid, when I was shopping for my skidder I saw a 230 TJ with a back hoe mounted where the arch should be,It had a grapple on it and a reese box hitch mounted in the back plate to haul a trailer. I've often thought about that since,every time I try to work when its muddy.
Ed K

Sawyerfortyish

TJ did make a 208 can't tell you how long they produced them I've seen a few around but never one with a grapple.

Ron Scott

The Timberjack 208D was a cable skidder only as far as I know, though they have been known to make an occasional "hybrid" by special order or experimental. 
~Ron

Dave Shepard

Thanks everyone. This machine was originally owned by a utility company, so a special order seems likely. The 208 G-S model designation suggests grapple skidder to me.

Dave

Dave Shepard

It warmed up a little the last couple of days. I have been needing to drain the transfer case of water, but I couldn't figure out how to do it with all the gunk frozen in the bottom of the skid pan. So, I pulle the case right out of the machine. ::) :D Probably a good thing, as I need to work on the hydraulic brake, and there appear to be some leaks. I'll probably end up taking the whole thing apart, inspeciting it, and gettting it sealed up good again. I have the rear axle tube ready to be dropped down. We may have found the parts, but if the guy doesn't have them, we are probably going to get another entire axle. Either way, it will be easier to rebuild this unit off the machine, and slide it back under when it is fixed.

Dave

Ed_K

What brand is the trans case? I rebuilt my cotta trans case, new bearings and seals for around $400. then the fuller transmission lost 2nd, that was total rebuild by Rodger Ramond in Bernardston Ma. for $1250.  :o .
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!