iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scored some free logs today

Started by DR Buck, June 13, 2016, 10:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I don't normally get real excited over free logs anymore but these are an exception.    Only because I have a current project going where I need lots of 12' 2x4s.   (See - https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,90023.0.html)        This started a week ago when a coworker told me their neighbor was taking down some really big poplar trees and was looking to get rid of the logs.   My first thought was OK, how much do they want?  ::)      They are free.   Just come and get them.    Let them know what size to cut the logs when the trees come down.      8) 8) 8)   12' 2x4s.  Just what I need!.   So I said cut them all to 13' lengths.   

Today I went to look at these trees.    :o    Only about 11 miles from home and much better than I expected to find.    The largest is about 30". down to around 18" for the smallest.    I'm going over tomorrow with my ATV and Logrite arch and move them closer to the driveway so I can load them on my trailer without driving onto the lawn.     This is looking like a sweet deal for me.   ;D

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Magicman

Oh yes it is.  That is phenomenal, and I see much more than your 2X4's.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Very nice!  Hard to beat free, big, straight, and already on the ground.  You must be living right 8)
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations. Glad you got the logs and I am sure the owner is glad to get rid of them especially to someone who is conscientious enough to try to remove them carefully and take care of his lawn. I hate to see good logs like that go to waste. Glad they are going to a useful purpose.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

scully

Free logs that can actually be milled .... Awesome !
I bleed orange  .

j_d

Nice score.  Normally the "free stuff" I get offered is firewood material.
Josh
God, Family, Tribe

OneWithWood

It pays to have the necessary equipment to accept good free logs when they come up.  Those logs will make some very fine 2x4s.  Might as well saw out some 6s and 8s.  Never know when you will need a header or three.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DR Buck

I went back to the site Tuesday to stage the logs closer to the driveway so I could load on to the trailer without driving up into the yard.    Using my ATV and Logrite Arch and cant hook, I had them all lined up in about an hour.

I went back again on Wednesday evening and made two trips with the log trailer to bring them home.

This was the 1st load --- 

This is the 2nd load waiting to be unloaded.

Magicman

Yes Sir, you did quite well and your equipment was kind to the landowner's property.  The Logrite Arch and loader trailer earned their keep.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Now that is a sweet trailer rig. Self contain? Tills?

Bruno of NH

What brand is the trailer ?
Looks very handy and what do you pull it with ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

DR Buck

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 16, 2016, 05:50:15 PM
What brand is the trailer ?
Looks very handy and what do you pull it with ?

I bought the trailer through Baileys.   It's a JMS-    https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,78752.msg1195353.html#msg1195353

I use to pull it with a SRW F350.  But not I have an F450 dually. 

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Solomon

Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!