iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frustrating day milling

Started by ChuckinVa, October 02, 2011, 10:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChuckinVa

I had a pretty frustrating day milling today. I went through and checked my set up on my mill as far as the rail, blade tension, I put a new drive belt on.. Every thing checked fine. Level, I took a string and ran it from end to end and it was dead on, no waves or dips. I was cutting a large pine ( for me) and as long as I cut 2" or more everything was fine. when I tried to cut 1X material, the band would dip. I thought it was a dull band, but I went and changed the band and it still did it. I didn't have ay problems with the thicker material but man I hate it when the board looks like a taper. I finally just put everything up and went back in the house. I think I'll leave it for a few days and go back and check my set up again. Not much fun when you don't get the results you want.

zopi

Bandwheel belts?
Were you sawing knotty crap?
I get one dive in a big pi.e knot every so often..

Maybe have guidewheel bearing going?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Bill Gaiche

Be sure and check that blade tension. bg

ChuckinVa

It was pretty Knotty. I just replaced the band wheel drive belt today. Hadn't thought about the guide wheel bearing. I'll take a look at that. I have replacements that I bought when I first bought my mill.

Bill I checked the tension and it was right at 34 LBS.Would the blade dropping down indicate it was too loose? Maybe I need to check my torque wrench.

CHUCK

kderby

How wide are you trying to cut? 
Dry logs?
Big knots?
Feed Speed (mill power)?

If you are milling medium logs, your problem does sound like blade sharpness or tension problems.

When you get it figured out, put a notch on the grip, like a gunfighter in days gone past. smiley_horserider smiley_horserider smiley_horserider

Then make some sawdust 8)

Kderby

kelLOGg

The difference in densities of the annual growth ring (spring and summer wood) escpcially in pine can cause that if the band is not very sharp and not set perfectly. I had a beetle-killed SYP give me wavy/tapered boards and a lesser infested portion of the same tree sawed perfectly. I think the density variation was greater in the first one.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

DR Buck

What kind of mill are you using that blade tension is set at 34 lbs?    I usually run my Wood-Mizer tension up over 3000 lbs.

Where are you located in Central VA?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

ladylake

It's 34# on a torque wrench on a screw.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ChuckinVa

These logs were cut last winter and have set off the ground all summer, but they did seem to have a lot of moisture in them still. They are what I would consider medium logs(18-20" at the butt and 16-18" at the top.) And I was sawing about 14 foot logs. Not too many knots but some. My mill is small so it only has a 5.5HP motor. I have a 11HP to put on it but have not done it yet because it will require some frame modifications.
Yes the nut is tightened to 34LBS on a torque wrench and I have a second nut to lock it in place. I live just northwest of Charlottesville, Va.
CHUCK

ladylake

Are you keeping the RPM's up and the drive belt tight, every time my band slows down either by pushing it to hard or a loose drive belt it cuts wavy.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

LeeB

Try another log. Some logs just cause problems.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ChuckinVa

The RPMS were the most I can get. ;D With putting the new belt on , it could have stretched or It could be I needed to adjust the pulley more. I will look at that as well. It seems like the belt would have slipped and I would have noticed the band slowing down. I was just creeping through the log though, so maybe I just didn't notice it. I will definetly try another log !
Thanks for all of the ideas. Gives me lot's of things to check that I hadn't thought about.
CHUCK

Jim H

You've got a lot of good ideas on what the problem could be. If you continue to have trouble I could probably take a look at it with you, two heads being better than one :). I actually drove past your place today on the way to a job.     Jim
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

woodmills1

why or how would any band mill know the difference between a one or 2 inch cut?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ChuckinVa

Quote from: woodmills1 on October 03, 2011, 07:07:46 PM
why or how would any band mill know the difference between a one or 2 inch cut?

Good point. I'm sure it doesn't but it wasn't happening when I cut the 2X material.

Quote from: Jim H on October 03, 2011, 05:51:54 PM
You've got a lot of good ideas on what the problem could be. If you continue to have trouble I could probably take a look at it with you, two heads being better than one :). I actually drove past your place today on the way to a job.     Jim

Thanks Jim. I hope to get a chance to look at it before the week end. Sounds like the rest of the week is going to be somewhat rain free. If I can't figure it out I'll send you a PM and maybe we can put our heads together and figure it out.

CHUCK

Thank You Sponsors!